Patient Comments: Nasopharyngeal Cancer - Treatments

Question:What treatments did you experience with your nasopharyngeal cancer?

Comment from: Blackbeltdwf, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I was diagnosed as a stage 4 with a tumor approximately the size of a lime in the back of my nasal passage. Before the diagnosis, I was having severe nosebleeds that lasted upward of an hour and a half. After the diagnosis, I received a G-Tube and a port cath. Treatments included 39 consecutive days of intensive radiation with three rounds of chemo at the beginning, middle, and end of the radiation. Currently, they say that they find no evidence of the tumor or any extension. I have had one treatment of chemo with carboplatin (I believe that's what it isUgh, I am on so many different drugs right now.) and a 96-hour pump of 5FU and will be getting two more of those treatments once a month for the next two months. My initial chemo drug was cisplatin, and after two treatments of that, I suffered severe hearing loss (which is a known side effect) and then was changed over to its sister drug carbo. Unfortunately, it looks as though the loss will be permanent, and I have already begun using hearing aids.

Comment from: Survivor Girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with Stage: II Diffuse Large B-Cell non-Hodgkins in 2005. After suffering some hearing loss, I was told and being treated for fluid behind the ears. After a failed 2nd attempt to treat this, I was finally sent to an ENT, where he discovered a tumor in the back of my throat. The biopsy was positive for lymphoma. I underwent 6 rounds of chemotherapy, followed by spinal injections, and finally, 22 radiation treatments. I have been cancer-free for 8 year's now.

Comment from: diamond, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I was diagnosed with nasalpharyngeal cancer 11 years ago. I had chemotherapy every 21 days and radiation 5 days per week.

Comment from: carla, 13-18 Male Published: September 18

My son was diagnosed with stage 4 nasopharyngeal carcinoma in April 2012. It is spreading to his bones, and they found a lesion on his liver. Has anyone gone through this? We've been doing radiation, chemo, and cisplatin.

Comment from: Survivor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I had Stage Two Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma and was treated with both Radiation and Chemotherapy at the same time. Radiation treatments were five days a week for five months and Chemotherapy was a Monday through Friday continuous pump of 5FU and four sit down days of Taxol.

Comment from: grace, 35-44 (Patient) Published: June 12

Treatment for nasopharyngeal cancer was chemotherapy of Cisplatin, about 7 cycles, radiation therapy for two months, then after the radiation 5FU for 3 cycles.

Comment from: Sarah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had two sessions of chemotherapy 28 days apart and seven weeks of radiotherapy.

Nasopharyngeal Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your nasopharyngeal cancer?
Nasopharyngeal Cancer - Tests Question: Please describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of nasopharyngeal cancer.