Patient Comments: Deviated Septum Surgery - Complications

Question:What, if any complications did you experience with deviated septum surgery?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had surgery on September 3oth to correct a deviated septum. I am in pain and I still can't breathe right. I almost want to say I was better before surgery. I went to see my doctor today and he said the septum had gone back to the way it was before surgery. I thought he had put those rolls inside my nose to keep it from moving. I wonder if he made a mistake. I thought the surgery was to remove the extras not relocating it.

Comment from: browst, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I just had my deviated septum surgery on September 17, 2014. Two days after surgery the left side of my face, jawbone were swollen and terribly painful. I called the office on Monday and was told that was normal! Upon having the packing removed the week after surgery my ENT doctor explained that to be put to sleep they had to pull my jaw bone down to get the breathing tube in my throat! It has been three weeks now and is getting some better. I'm being treated with ibuprofen and muscles relaxer. It still hurts to chew and sneeze. The doctor is saying now he may have to get aggressive and give me steroid shots!

Comment from: Hanna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had a simple nasal polyp which was getting bigger and was causing my snoring to get louder. The doctor talked me into getting septoplasty/turbinectomy. What a mistake! Thankfully, only one nostril got the turbinectomy treatment, the one without the polyp. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to breathe at all! I now snore out of the nostril with turbinates removed and cannot sleep on my back, and the mucus sits in the back of my nose instead of draining out like it used to. I can't sleep half the time, and on and on, and there is nothing they can do about it. It's been five years of misery.

Comment from: NashMatt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

It has been 4 years since I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction. For me, it has been incredibly successful. My breathing feels free whereas before there was constantly a resistance through my right nostril. I also had recurring colds that turn into sinus infections which many general practitioners did not want to give antibiotics for. Now, I get sick much less frequently. When I do take on a cold it makes me feel crummy, but it is not nearly as severe as before where I did not feel like doing anything. I still have chronic drainage and inside my nostrils tends to be dryer and crusty, but I would have the surgery again without hesitation.

Comment from: unknown, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had septoplasty and partial turbinectomy in October 2012 but after 8 days I felt some kind of blockage behind my left ear. When at night I go to sleep, my neck and ear go red hot with a very low sound of whistling in my left year and after a few days my body muscles started getting hard from my neck up to my foot.

Comment from: none, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My son says, "I would rather have my wisdom teeth out every other month for the rest of my life.” I think some are having minor procedures and others major. It takes two extra strength hydrocodone to enable him to get any sleep. He heard a dripping sound in his head for several hours after and eventually threw up a stomach full of blood. The headache is as bad as the surgical pain, and he can't stand light or sound.

Comment from: Deepak, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

How frequently the septum perforation occurs. I have gone through septoplasty once, but no benefit. :( So, after 3 yrs I am going to have another septoplasty.

Comment from: Skunky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have a problem with smelling odors that no one else can smell. I now think this is from the septum and turbinate surgery. The odor is sometimes slightly skunky and sometimes like a cooking odor...when I'm not cooking!