Patient Comments: Deviated Septum Surgery - Complications

Question:What, if any complications did you experience with deviated septum surgery?

Comment from: NashMatt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

It has been 4 years since I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction. For me, it has been incredibly successful. My breathing feels free whereas before there was constantly a resistance through my right nostril. I also had recurring colds that turn into sinus infections which many general practitioners did not want to give antibiotics for. Now, I get sick much less frequently. When I do take on a cold it makes me feel crummy, but it is not nearly as severe as before where I did not feel like doing anything. I still have chronic drainage and inside my nostrils tends to be dryer and crusty, but I would have the surgery again without hesitation.

Comment from: unknown, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had septoplasty and partial turbinectomy in October 2012 but after 8 days I felt some kind of blockage behind my left ear. When at night I go to sleep, my neck and ear go red hot with a very low sound of whistling in my left year and after a few days my body muscles started getting hard from my neck up to my foot.

Comment from: none, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My son says, "I would rather have my wisdom teeth out every other month for the rest of my life.” I think some are having minor procedures and others major. It takes two extra strength hydrocodone to enable him to get any sleep. He heard a dripping sound in his head for several hours after and eventually threw up a stomach full of blood. The headache is as bad as the surgical pain, and he can't stand light or sound.

Comment from: Deepak, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

How frequently the septum perforation occurs. I have gone through septoplasty once, but no benefit. :( So, after 3 yrs I am going to have another septoplasty.

Comment from: Skunky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have a problem with smelling odors that no one else can smell. I now think this is from the septum and turbinate surgery. The odor is sometimes slightly skunky and sometimes like a cooking odor...when I'm not cooking!