Patient Comments: Narcolepsy - Hypnagogic Hallucinations

Describe what a hypnagogic hallucination is like for you, a friend, or relative.

Comment from: tabbie29569, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

One of my hypnagogic hallucinations happened in sleep to wake transition. I was on the couch with my laptop in my lap next thing I know I wake up, my laptop is in the middle of the living room and everybody is looking at me like I was crazy. They said I was screaming to get the chickens off of me and I guess I had mistaken the laptop for a chicken. They seem so real.

Comment from: Enjoli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Sleep paralysis is very scary. I had an episode of hypnagogic hallucination that I was unable to breath and was wide awake, couldn't move, yell, nothing!

Comment from: V, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My hallucinations only occur about every couple months. They occur when I am waking up. They are worse if I am waking from a daytime nap. The hallucinations are like dreams but you think they are real and try to react to them. I talk out loud and tell my husband what is going on. They are usually fearful.

Narcolepsy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for you narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy - Experience Question: Share your experience with narcolepsy.
Narcolepsy - Excessive Daytime Sleepiness Question: If you've been diagnosed with narcolepsy, please discuss your experience with daytime sleepiness.
Narcolepsy - Muscle Control Question: Relate your observations of cataplexy (loss of muscle control) in a friend or relative.