Patient Comments: Narcolepsy - Excessive Daytime Sleepiness

If you've been diagnosed with narcolepsy, please discuss your experience with daytime sleepiness.

Comment from: Joseph 63, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I am facing day time sleep, especially while reading in the bed. Second minute I will fall asleep. I am feeling great embarrassment and prefer to sleep separate, to avoid attention of other people. The moment I try to concentrate on some subject I start feeling sleepy and can go into deep sleep fast. It affected my studies a lot and with the help of will power I finished my studies.

Comment from: JLP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was correctly diagnosed with narcolepsy when I was 21; I'm now 64 and have been on Ritalin SR (generic) since the sustained release form first came out. I'm an RN, and have probably had narcolepsy all of my life because relatives always said that I was the "good child" between two very active siblings (my mom died when I was young so I never had any input from a parent on this). When I am highly stressed, I fall asleep. I managed to pass my state board RN exams only because an elderly test monitor kept waking me up. I've also fallen asleep while driving, working, standing, and even while teaching patients if I either sit still too long or I'm tired. Most of my life I've managed OK as long as I'm on meds and have adequate sleep. I've tried not to get stressed out; having a laid back personality and supportive family and friends has also helped.

Narcolepsy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for you narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy - Experience Question: Share your experience with narcolepsy.
Narcolepsy - Hypnagogic Hallucinations Question: Describe what a hypnagogic hallucination is like for you, a friend, or relative.
Narcolepsy - Muscle Control Question: Relate your observations of cataplexy (loss of muscle control) in a friend or relative.