Patient Comments: Narcolepsy - Experience

Question:Share your experience with narcolepsy.

Comment from: james mathew, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I am working and often my colleagues notice me sleeping in the office. It is too bad and embarrassing, if someone sees you sleeping in the office. I have been trying my best to keep awake all the time, but it is impossible. Sometimes I sleep standing. It is cruel, dangerous, risky, and above all is humiliating.

Comment from: shrrg10, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am a nurse and have known I have Narcolepsy for many years but I am going to have a Sleep Study next month. I am not on any treatment as yet. I'm having trouble driving long distances. This is ruining my career because I drive a long distance to work. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comment from: tired, 35-44 Female Published: June 02

I found dexadrine long active 10-15mg to be the most effective, but I still always have an afternoon nap which the lowers possibility of afternoon sleep onset. I would say by about 90% effective, weather I am on meds or take no meds. I nap for about 30 on my lunch break.

Narcolepsy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for you narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy - Excessive Daytime Sleepiness Question: If you've been diagnosed with narcolepsy, please discuss your experience with daytime sleepiness.
Narcolepsy - Hypnagogic Hallucinations Question: Describe what a hypnagogic hallucination is like for you, a friend, or relative.
Narcolepsy - Muscle Control Question: Relate your observations of cataplexy (loss of muscle control) in a friend or relative.