Patient Comments: Narcolepsy - Experience

Question:Share your experience with narcolepsy.

Comment from: bhammock1975, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have narcolepsy since I was young but I did not find out until 2005. I have taken provigil, nuvigil, methadone, but doesn't do any good. I stay so sleepy during the day and when I go to sleep I am sleepy but I can't go to sleep for the shapes when I close my eyes. I do not reach REMS sleep so I never actually get a good night's rest even if I was to sleep for 12 hours straight. I have been tested and everything but I really need some assistance in finding out what to treat it with. Whatever is used will have to be in high doses. This has been going on for over 20 years. I need help.

Comment from:, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I am 71 and have lived with narcolepsy since I was 17. I stumbled on a self treatment for driving, the act of opening and eating peanuts helps. I expanded this to include ice. On long trips I will buy a 10lb bag of ice. For short trips I get a soft drink and fill the cup with ice. This has allowed me to drive and not fall asleep. I encourage you to try. It sounds silly but.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

When I have an attack, I go on a feeding frenzy. I haven't seen this as a symptom of narcolepsy. I was diagnosed in a sleep study several years ago and was prescribed Provigil 200mg 2xday. Though this has helped a lot, I still have sleep attacks that can't be predicted. Also, the minute I go to sleep, I start talking. I have resorted to sleeping alone for fear of disturbing my husband. I can never afford the luxury of dozing in church!

Comment from: james mathew, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I am working and often my colleagues notice me sleeping in the office. It is too bad and embarrassing, if someone sees you sleeping in the office. I have been trying my best to keep awake all the time, but it is impossible. Sometimes I sleep standing. It is cruel, dangerous, risky, and above all is humiliating.

Comment from: shrrg10, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am a nurse and have known I have Narcolepsy for many years but I am going to have a Sleep Study next month. I am not on any treatment as yet. I'm having trouble driving long distances. This is ruining my career because I drive a long distance to work. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comment from: tired, 35-44 Female Published: June 02

I found dexadrine long active 10-15mg to be the most effective, but I still always have an afternoon nap which the lowers possibility of afternoon sleep onset. I would say by about 90% effective, weather I am on meds or take no meds. I nap for about 30 on my lunch break.

Narcolepsy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for you narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy - Excessive Daytime Sleepiness Question: If you've been diagnosed with narcolepsy, please discuss your experience with daytime sleepiness.
Narcolepsy - Hypnagogic Hallucinations Question: Describe what a hypnagogic hallucination is like for you, a friend, or relative.
Narcolepsy - Muscle Control Question: Relate your observations of cataplexy (loss of muscle control) in a friend or relative.