Patient Comments: Myxedema Coma - Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms that you, a friend, or relative experienced with a myxedema coma.

Comment from: rjs00, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

I stopped breathing in the emergency room and at least a couple times thereafter, and had to be resuscitated. My kidneys and digestive system shut down and I had to be fed intravenously for a month, and I drifted in and out of consciousness for the duration. I became deaf, but was still able to exchange handwritten notes with the nurses and my wife. My legs and testicles were swollen and I lost all my hair (it's since grown back). It took two months of physical therapy before I was able to walk with a walker. Seven years later, I am back to normal for a person my age (66).

Myxedema Coma - Causes and Triggers Question: What was the cause or trigger of a myxedema coma in someone you know?
Myxedema Coma - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you or a relative receive for a myxedema coma?