Patient Comments: Myocarditis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of myocarditis?

Comment from: justin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

26 years old had smallpox shot 6 months ago. Constant pressure mostly in the center left part of chest. Ongoing twinges of pain. Diagnosed myocarditis. Has taken so much away from me. Gained about 40 lbs. Lost a lot.

Comment from: ooops, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I developed acute myocarditis secondary to a viral infection. I have been subsequently diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. I currently take ACE inhibitors, Dig, and a diuretic as well as a betablocker. To make matters worse due to the activity intolerance, I gained almost 100 pounds in less than a year and developed type 2 diabetes. We all know viral infections must run their course, but if it has not improved in 5-8 days see a doctor. My initial symptoms were shortness of breath, choking sensation when lying flat, pitting edema to lower legs and ankles/feet, decrease in urine output. The shortness of breath got worse and worse until I felt I was dying. That has been 8 years ago now and I am doing well, I work full time in the emergency dept of my local hospital 36 hours a week and do private duty 32 hours a week, this cardiomyopathy is manageable if you listen and pay attention to the physician's advice.

Comment from: mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

My systems are shortness of breath just walking a small amount pain in chest neck and back. This has been for three months now. Before then I cycled to work every day and enjoyed mountain walking and scrambling. I was a very fit person.

Myocarditis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with myocarditis.
Myocarditis - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including medication or supplements, have you taken to treat conditions associated with myocarditis?