Patient Comments: Myocarditis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of myocarditis?

Comment from: Stephanie420, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was 29 years old and now 30. When I got real sick. I thought it was the flu I had for few days, I pushed myself to go into work cause I couldn't miss any more days, and thought if I made it through one more day I could baby myself to get better the next day which I had off. The next day I layed around I didn't vomit or anything just real weak and around 8:30 I said to my husband I think something is wrong I think I'm having a heart attack, my left arm went limp and I had bad pains in my chest. we tucked the kids into bed to make sure they wouldn't worry and he drove me to hospital and there I stayed for two weeks until I was better to leave, doctor said it was myocarditis, I've never even heard of that before and he said I was very lucky to be alive. I tried to ask what I could do not to have that happen again and he told me he didn't know where I had caught the virus from, but just to take it easy. I had worked at a prison then and few months later of course they gave me problems and was forced to resign. Boy did this take a turn in my life, but I am so thankful I'm still here today to watch my children grow.

Comment from: Saro Rajagopal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

Hi All, I lost my baby boy on the 13th of Dec 2013. He was just 14 months old and he died after being diagnosed with myocarditis. He had symptoms of vomiting three days before this lost. He suffered difficulties of breathing, as I rushed him to clinic specialist where the doctor referred him immediately to the hospital. He was in ICU for three days but helpless with IVIG antibody treatment. The doctors did the best. I was there with him for his last day of breathing. I feel sorry for my son's loss.

Comment from: Elj, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My son was 5weeks old when he had a cardiac arrest cause of myocarditis, he lucky enough survived. He is on medication now, consultants can't find out what caused this. I had prolonged membranes and he was admitted to special care when he was born, I feel this has a part in it. Just not knowing what caused my baby to nearly die is frustrating.

Comment from: Bianca, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with myocarditis in December 2010, about a month after my 18th birthday. A few days prior to being rushed to the hospital I felt flu like symptoms. Then the morning of I couldn't stop throwing up and my body was weak, I was rushed to the hospital and the doctors didn't know what was wrong with me until I had an EKG. They saw that my heart wasn't functioning normally and there I was rushed to Tampa General Hospital where I was in ICU for 2 weeks. I had surgery where the surgeons put a tube next to my heart to drain the fluids. I was so scared but most of the time I was so heavily medicated I didn't know what was happening. The doctors truly saved my life! I've been taking Carvedilol every day since this day and I'm 100% back to full health.

Comment from: Nancy, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 19

My son (age 23) died from Myocarditis in June of this year (2011). His only symptoms were a little chest pain and shortness of breath about a month before he died, that he thought was anxiety from stress at work (labor negotiations). It eased shortly thereafter, so he didn't see a Doctor. Then a couple of days before he died, he started running a low grade temperature and was achy. He just thought it was the flu. He died in his sleep two days later. I have to wonder how long he had it - if he just had it for a month, or if he had it for months before it got bad enough to take his life. I seem to recall a rash on his hand that he thought was dermatitis (may have been viral), and that he coughed a lot after one virus he had, especially in the mornings - it seemed to hang on longer than it should have. That was quite a while before he passed away (like 6 months to a year before). I know he also said he tried to start running again (he had wanted to join the Police Academy), but that he got so winded he gave up (man, am I out of shape!). That was also about 6 months to a year before.

Comment from: Jared, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I am 17 years old, and after 2 miserable days of headaches and diarrhea I developed acute chest pain in the evening. I went to the hospital and was then transported by ambulance to another hospital with a heart specialist. I had very high "heart attack" enzymes, chest pain, and the same above symptoms. I was kept in the ICU for 5 days and treated with an IV IG (intravenous Immunol Goblins) which gave me antibody and slowed my immune system down so it wouldn't attack my heart. The pain in my chest is odd and can be best described as pressure and intensifies with breathing and movement. I was an extremely healthy guy before this and never expected a virus to do this much damage! Life can throw curve balls at the most unexpected places!

Myocarditis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with myocarditis.
Myocarditis - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including medication or supplements, have you taken to treat conditions associated with myocarditis?