Patient Comments:

What were your symptoms associated with a Mycobacterium marinum infection?

Comment from: Lucinda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

The tip of my first finger was swollen and a bit warm and red for over two months. When the swelling moved down my finger towards my hand, I consulted a doctor. It took 5 months to culture the a-typical mycobacterium to diagnose it as marinum. At its worst, half my hand and the finger were swollen, hot, itchy, and painful. I have been on a course of antibiotics for a month which has reduced the pain and swelling. With the specific diagnosis I expect that more targeted antibiotics, I will take for another 4 months, will cure the infection and I will have normal use of my hand. I swam every day in the summer in the Delaware Bay and frequently have scratches and cut on my hands. That is the most likely source of my infection.

Mycobacterium Marinum - Share Your Experience Question: Did you contract a Mycobacterium marinum infection after swimming? Please share your experience.
Mycobacterium Marinum - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for your Mycobacterium marinum infection?