Patient Comments:

What were your symptoms associated with a Mycobacterium marinum infection?

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I live on the gulf coast in northern Florida and have done a lot of fishing and kayaking where wading in the muck is unavoidable. I developed a small red painless bump on the inside of my ankle earlier this year, did not think much about it until it did not go away for a couple of months. I had it checked out by a dermatologist (in April) who said it looked ok, and should go away by itself. It was still there in the summer, and I had it checked out by my family doctor who also said it was nothing to worry about. By October, this small red bump had grown into a large red area and felt like there was fluid in it (looked like a boil). The ironic part of this is that I had the same thing happen about 15 years ago when I got the same type of infection in my finger after injuring it. At the time I had a fish tank and a water garden with Koi in it. I went back to the dermatologist and insisted that he check for Mycobacterium marinum infection. The biopsy came back positive. The first time I got it, I was antibiotics for almost a year. It looks like the same this time around.

Comment from: Lucinda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

The tip of my first finger was swollen and a bit warm and red for over two months. When the swelling moved down my finger towards my hand, I consulted a doctor. It took 5 months to culture the a-typical mycobacterium to diagnose it as marinum. At its worst, half my hand and the finger were swollen, hot, itchy, and painful. I have been on a course of antibiotics for a month which has reduced the pain and swelling. With the specific diagnosis I expect that more targeted antibiotics, I will take for another 4 months, will cure the infection and I will have normal use of my hand. I swam every day in the summer in the Delaware Bay and frequently have scratches and cut on my hands. That is the most likely source of my infection.

Mycobacterium Marinum - Share Your Experience Question: Did you contract a Mycobacterium marinum infection after swimming? Please share your experience.
Mycobacterium Marinum - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for your Mycobacterium marinum infection?