Patient Comments:

Did you contract a Mycobacterium marinum infection after swimming? Please share your experience.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I've been suffering with very sore hands, mainly in the thumb area for the last three years. I've been researching like crazy. I am not sure that I have this infection but a lot of the listed factors do add up. Three years ago, I developed a rash on top of both hands where the thumb and fore finger meet. I previously filed the nails on my dog and ran the edges on my hands to make sure that they were nicely smooth so as to prevent scratching. I didn't think much of it then. I also have a large above ground swimming pool. We also spend time at a local lake with our boat. We sometimes swim in the lake. I had the same itchy rash for two years. This last summer and fall I had no rash, but instead I had severe pain in my hands in the same exact area that the rash was in the previous two years. This all seems weird but at the same time, highly likely that it could be this mycobacterium marinum. I have not been diagnosed. The pain is very debilitating.

Comment from: jgladst, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I caught this mycobacterium marinum infection 4 years ago from fishing. I had 6 weeks of IV therapy, every day and a year of oral antibiotics. It was misdiagnosed by many doctors. I never went fishing again.

Comment from: auntyl, 55-64 Female Published: July 25

l had been gardening and got a small puncture wound from brambles. A short while later developed 4 small puncture wounds in a line on back of my hand, they all became infected with pus, saw nurse, gp, ointments, wounds grew bigger reddened, had scan, no debris found, then skin specialist creams biopsy, thought to be psoraisis. Six months later gone from pin prick size to 2-3inch sq spreading. A new doctor asked if I had tropical fish, I have had for years, brought diagnosis of mycobacteria on antibiotics for weeks, cleared it slowly, but whilst still active jagged it on something, nail maybe? Small spot within, a year later only slight sign and marking of original problem, but the jagged spot has grown and got infected so back on antibiotics for weeks, cyclosporine type, back for referral in a few weeks, so far subduing infection, but some side effects.

Comment from: fast eddie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I am an 83-year-old man in good health. I got an infection in the skin of my finger, had it debrided, and have been taking Biaxin, etc. ever since. It has improved, but now looks like it is getting a little worse. I am at a loss. Has anyone gotten good results with another drug? It has been six months so far.

Mycobacterium Marinum - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a Mycobacterium marinum infection?
Mycobacterium Marinum - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for your Mycobacterium marinum infection?