Patient Comments: Myasthenia Gravis - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with myasthenia gravis?

Comment from: arsalan khan, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

I had this knee dislocation accident when I was going to drop my brother to his nearby coaching center. My bike slipped and I had this dislocation. For the moment I was not able to feel, but after I got back home, I couldn't move my knee, as it was too painful. I consulted my doctor and had it x-rayed. It showed a minor dislocation. The severe pain I was experiencing is gone but whenever I hit my knee to something, even when I put my knee on floor it hurts badly.

Comment from: ANGEL, 45-54 Female Published: May 09

With measles I had no rash, just a cough that was so bad it made my chest hurt every time I coughed. My body hurt at every touch, I had fever and stomach ache (around the diaphragm) that caused me to want to lie down and sleep. On top of that, my nose was clogged and congested, my eyes red, and I had no appetite. Water was my worst drink, I desired to eat fruits and sour things only, not a good experience.

Comment from: Melinda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have myasthenia gravis. I started with 2 Mestinon 60 g daily and now I am on 8 tablets. I had eye drooping, my hands would not hold my bag, it just fell, my legs gave and I was falling in the street all over. My body is paining and I am very tired. The latest, my eye is paining. I don't know what to do or use, at times I feel like just closing it.

Comment from: Kassebaum, (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a college educated lab technician. So I had a medical background. When one day I woke up with double vision I knew something was wrong. Then my eyes were involved, the eyelids, then voice and then all my skeletal muscles until I was virtually paralyzed by myasthenia gravis.

Comment from: David, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis in June of 2014. Mestinon did not work. I am mainly on prednisone and Imuran. I have an IVIG every month. I still have much fatigue and leg weakness. I am also short of breath. I think next will be the plasma exchange. I think that the vision is also getting worse.

Comment from: mack, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have had bloating, pain in stomach, and pain between shoulder blades since May. I have had all the required tests and a small hiatal hernia was found. I was assured it would never give me problems. Well, I still have the same symptoms I did in May and can't find out why. I burn in abdomen, have chills and sometimes shortness of breath. I have been to several doctors and still no relief. This is no way for anyone to have to live!

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I am 20 years of age. I haven't yet been diagnosed with myasthenia gravis but just recently I went to an eye doctor after waiting 3 months for an appointment and they believe I have it. I have an appointment soon with a neurologist. I'm so worried because my goal was to get into the military but ever since I've had these symptoms I don't know what I'm doing with myself anymore. These symptoms have been going on for almost 2 years now. I get really bad migraines every day. I get a very bad droopy eye lid, shortness of breath, eye pain, and last but not least I'm always so exhausted especially because I work in 80 to 105 degree weather 8 to 10 hours a day 6 days a week. I used to be so athletic and now I just can't; when I run hard my head and eye bug me! Really wish there was a cure for this, it's making me hate life.

Comment from: Ray P, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I was just diagnosed with myasthenia gravis (MG) after four years of thinking I had mitochondrial myopathy. When my eyelid began to droop and I grew tired from eating and talking, my primary care doctor said I have myasthenia gravis and started me on a treatment for it. I had tested negative for MG previously. It's been a few days now, and I can walk to the end of the street and back without braces. I feel hopeful again. I believe that I will be able to walk without my braces more and more. I haven't experienced any further fatigue from chewing or talking, and my eyelid isn't covering a quarter of my eye! So, I hope this offers someone else hope that things can get better.

Myasthenia Gravis - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective for your myasthenia gravis?
Myasthenia Gravis - Diagnostic Tests Question: What tests were performed to diagnose your myasthenia gravis?