Patient Comments: Myasthenia Gravis - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with myasthenia gravis?

Comment from: Kassebaum, (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a college educated lab technician. So I had a medical background. When one day I woke up with double vision I knew something was wrong. Then my eyes were involved, the eyelids, then voice and then all my skeletal muscles until I was virtually paralyzed by myasthenia gravis.

Comment from: David, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis in June of 2014. Mestinon did not work. I am mainly on prednisone and Imuran. I have an IVIG every month. I still have much fatigue and leg weakness. I am also short of breath. I think next will be the plasma exchange. I think that the vision is also getting worse.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I am 20 years of age. I haven't yet been diagnosed with myasthenia gravis but just recently I went to an eye doctor after waiting 3 months for an appointment and they believe I have it. I have an appointment soon with a neurologist. I'm so worried because my goal was to get into the military but ever since I've had these symptoms I don't know what I'm doing with myself anymore. These symptoms have been going on for almost 2 years now. I get really bad migraines every day. I get a very bad droopy eye lid, shortness of breath, eye pain, and last but not least I'm always so exhausted especially because I work in 80 to 105 degree weather 8 to 10 hours a day 6 days a week. I used to be so athletic and now I just can't; when I run hard my head and eye bug me! Really wish there was a cure for this, it's making me hate life.

Comment from: Ray P, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I was just diagnosed with myasthenia gravis (MG) after four years of thinking I had mitochondrial myopathy. When my eyelid began to droop and I grew tired from eating and talking, my primary care doctor said I have myasthenia gravis and started me on a treatment for it. I had tested negative for MG previously. It's been a few days now, and I can walk to the end of the street and back without braces. I feel hopeful again. I believe that I will be able to walk without my braces more and more. I haven't experienced any further fatigue from chewing or talking, and my eyelid isn't covering a quarter of my eye! So, I hope this offers someone else hope that things can get better.

Comment from: Guitarman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

My neurologist is currently testing me for myasthenia gravis (MG). I started having symptoms about 2 years ago. I would fall down and could hardly get back up. I wake in the morning absolutely fatigued and feeling bad. I experience nerve pain continuously and am having breathing difficulty and swallowing difficulty. I sometimes choke on my food and drink and cough until I feel I am going to faint. I will awaken at night and can't get my breath and thus have a panic attack. My CPK is very elevated (440) and my urine is dark. My doctor had given me prednisone but it didn't really help. I am now taking ropinirole and gabapentin while awaiting further testing, but still am very fatigued and painful and still having trouble swallowing and breathing. Also, I can hardly climb stairs and walk for very long.

Comment from: mack, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have had bloating, pain in stomach, and pain between shoulder blades since May. I have had all the required tests and a small hiatal hernia was found. I was assured it would never give me problems. Well, I still have the same symptoms I did in May and can't find out why. I burn in abdomen, have chills and sometimes shortness of breath. I have been to several doctors and still no relief. This is no way for anyone to have to live!

Comment from: sudie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My husband was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis (MG) little over a year ago. It started out with double vision, and an ophthalmologist said he had 3rd nerve palsy and fitted him with lenses to solve the problem. Then he had speech slurring and weakness and thinking it was a TIA (transient ischemic attack) I took him to the emergency room (ER) where he stayed for a couple of days. A neurologist diagnosed the MG and started him on Mestinon. Immediately after taking the first dose his double vision ceased. He was also put on prednisone. He still gets tired more easily, but we're thankful it's not more serious. He is 80 years old but his energy level has always been real good, so it is good to know that this treatment has been successful.

Comment from: Marcie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

My first symptom of myasthenia gravis was double vision in my left eye. I have difficulty moving my eyes from side to side. I feel a pull in the eye muscles. I have dizziness, lightheadedness and it's sometimes difficult to focus on a task. I also have fatigue and at times it is extreme along with muscle weakness.

Myasthenia Gravis - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective for your myasthenia gravis?
Myasthenia Gravis - Diagnostic Tests Question: What tests were performed to diagnose your myasthenia gravis?