Patient Comments: Myasthenia Gravis - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with myasthenia gravis?

Comment from: seafood 4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was diagnosed in 2010 with myasthenia gravis. First the doctors thought it was a stroke in 2007. I had all the signs and symptoms. Then after a while I started having a lot of tingles on all parts of my body. When I would drive, my eyes would just slowly close up. I had a tired feeling that was just unreal. Fortunately, the medications are really helping me a great deal. I must say, I have an awesome medical team of doctors and nurses.

Comment from: gasol, 45-54 Female Published: March 22

When I was first diagnosed with myasthenia gravis, I had double vision in my left eye. Five years later, I still have vision problems, mainly blurred vision. Sometimes I cannot focus on something. I feel that I have more pain in my arms than weakness. I take my medication every day, but lately, my vision seems to be getting worse.

Comment from: cruznwithchrist, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

My husband has had myasthenia gravis since 2007. He was given the blood transfusions and was on the top dosage of Mestinon and was not doing any better. His is mostly confined to the throat area.

Comment from: aida, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was just diagnosed with MG. In addition to all the typical symptoms, I am always tired and weak.

Comment from: Annerie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My first symptom was double vision.I would have to hold my hand over my left eye to see clearly. Got diagnosed when my doctor noticed my right eye drooping. I had been experiencing unrelenting fatigue for more than a year prior to these developments. I have been prescribed Mestinon but after reading all the side affects I'm nervous about taking it. But lately it's been harder and harder to breathe (I'm asthmatic). As I am a jeweler and need my eyes I wonder about my future prognosis. Will start the Mestonin today.

Comment from: police girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with MG on September 11, 2001. I had the worst case of it. I use to be a firefighter and a police officer. I really didn't know when I was falling down at work what it actually was. I have had all the medications, a thymectomy, and treatments that you could do for myasenthia. The only thing that is working for me right now is the prednisone and plasma exchange every month. But the treatments are not lasting an entire four weeks. I have bad days, but I refuse to let myasenthia beat me. It might have taken away my ability to be a police officer – something I love – but I will continue to fight. Don't give up: we are going to beat myasenthia gravis.

Comment from: Norene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I'm in the process of testing to diagnose my condition, but I was put on one of the medications used for MG. After reading about MG, it all makes sense. The symptoms sound just like what I have been going through – droopy eyelid, double vision, unsteady gait, and fatigue. However, I also have dizziness. I have been out of work for almost two months now, going from doctor to doctor, test to test. I hope I soon have at least a firm diagnosis and treatment.

Comment from: Hartley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

September 2012 I was diagnosed with mysasthenia gravis after having developed a drooping left eyelid and double vision. I was put on pyridostigmine 60mg. I am now on 5 tablets per day and my symptoms have gone. However 10 days ago I had some dental work done under injected local anesthetic. Immediately following the treatment I developed slurred speech, excess saliva and some difficulty swallowing. My consultant told me to keep on the same medication and that my symptoms should clear up in about two weeks.

Comment from: Suzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I was recently diagnosed after two hospitalizations for extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, hoarseness, double and blurred vision. I developed right eye droop in 2004. I have probably had undiagnosed myasthenia gravis for 5+ years. It's slowly improving after starting Mestinon. I take 60 mg every 3 hours and 1/2 sustained release tab at night. I'm also on provigil for fatigue. I am still hoarse and I feel like I have a band around my chest but my strength is much better. It's easier to climb stairs but I can't go out without a walker or wheelchair. It's been a huge lifestyle change. I was very active prior to this. I may get a scooter to walk dogs.

Myasthenia Gravis - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective for your myasthenia gravis?
Myasthenia Gravis - Diagnostic Tests Question: What tests were performed to diagnose your myasthenia gravis?