Patient Comments: Myasthenia Gravis - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with myasthenia gravis?

Comment from: joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I get a feeling as if I am going to pass out and worried that it is a symptom of myasthenia gravis.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I just found out today that my sodium levels are low. I take Celexa (antidepressant) and was told to not take it, by my doctor. I told her I needed this medication so she said to take 1/2 (20 mg instead of 40) and to also eat a can of soup a day. I am to go back in a week to have my sodium level checked again. Heart disease is rampant on my mother's side of the family. She will be 85 in a few weeks and had a quadruple bypass in 2013. She had 6 brothers and all had bypass surgery following heart attacks and the youngest brother is the only one alive. From reading about hyponatremia, heart disease is a factor and can be caused by my taking the Celexa. I know there are other factors but this frightened me enough to do what she says.

Comment from: Melinda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have myasthenia gravis. I started with 2 Mestinon 60 g daily and now I am on 8 tablets. I had eye drooping, my hands would not hold my bag, it just fell, my legs gave and I was falling in the street all over. My body is paining and I am very tired. The latest, my eye is paining. I don't know what to do or use, at times I feel like just closing it.

Comment from: Kassebaum, (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a college educated lab technician. So I had a medical background. When one day I woke up with double vision I knew something was wrong. Then my eyes were involved, the eyelids, then voice and then all my skeletal muscles until I was virtually paralyzed by myasthenia gravis.

Comment from: David, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis in June of 2014. Mestinon did not work. I am mainly on prednisone and Imuran. I have an IVIG every month. I still have much fatigue and leg weakness. I am also short of breath. I think next will be the plasma exchange. I think that the vision is also getting worse.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I am 20 years of age. I haven't yet been diagnosed with myasthenia gravis but just recently I went to an eye doctor after waiting 3 months for an appointment and they believe I have it. I have an appointment soon with a neurologist. I'm so worried because my goal was to get into the military but ever since I've had these symptoms I don't know what I'm doing with myself anymore. These symptoms have been going on for almost 2 years now. I get really bad migraines every day. I get a very bad droopy eye lid, shortness of breath, eye pain, and last but not least I'm always so exhausted especially because I work in 80 to 105 degree weather 8 to 10 hours a day 6 days a week. I used to be so athletic and now I just can't; when I run hard my head and eye bug me! Really wish there was a cure for this, it's making me hate life.

Comment from: Ray P, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I was just diagnosed with myasthenia gravis (MG) after four years of thinking I had mitochondrial myopathy. When my eyelid began to droop and I grew tired from eating and talking, my primary care doctor said I have myasthenia gravis and started me on a treatment for it. I had tested negative for MG previously. It's been a few days now, and I can walk to the end of the street and back without braces. I feel hopeful again. I believe that I will be able to walk without my braces more and more. I haven't experienced any further fatigue from chewing or talking, and my eyelid isn't covering a quarter of my eye! So, I hope this offers someone else hope that things can get better.

Comment from: Guitarman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

My neurologist is currently testing me for myasthenia gravis (MG). I started having symptoms about 2 years ago. I would fall down and could hardly get back up. I wake in the morning absolutely fatigued and feeling bad. I experience nerve pain continuously and am having breathing difficulty and swallowing difficulty. I sometimes choke on my food and drink and cough until I feel I am going to faint. I will awaken at night and can't get my breath and thus have a panic attack. My CPK is very elevated (440) and my urine is dark. My doctor had given me prednisone but it didn't really help. I am now taking ropinirole and gabapentin while awaiting further testing, but still am very fatigued and painful and still having trouble swallowing and breathing. Also, I can hardly climb stairs and walk for very long.

Myasthenia Gravis - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective for your myasthenia gravis?
Myasthenia Gravis - Diagnostic Tests Question: What tests were performed to diagnose your myasthenia gravis?