Patient Comments: Myasthenia Gravis - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with myasthenia gravis?

Comment from: Peggy62, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I was diagnosed w/ MG in 2005 after both of my eyelids were dropping. I also have trouble swallowing, chewing, walking and holding on to things. But it was my eyes that sent me to an eye doctor, who while they found nothing wrong with my eyes suggested that I get tested for MG. I have never gone into remission. I have been on both prednisone and Mestinon since I was diagnosed. While both of these help with most of the symptoms, they do nothing for the fatigue and they both upset my stomach. I have also had 2 courses of IVIG but that only helped for a couple of weeks. So I guess we just have to try and cope and "take it easy" as my doctor says.

Comment from: Robert, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I have had MG for about 10 years. First diagnosed with a dropped eyelid. Later with speech slurring. Was able to get it in remission by taking large doses of Prednisone for about 6 months. Starting with 60 mg daily for 6 weeks, decreasing to 50 mg for six weeks, etc. until I got down to 10 mg daily. I take 10 mg daily as maintenance. I had relapse in 2006 due to my negligence of doing physical hard and hot work restoring hardwood floors in a rental house I own. Speech problems reoccurred with difficulty in swallowing and some muscle weakness. I was able to get it back in remission by same treatment as previously. In 2011 it reoccurred again basically for the same reason of working and cutting several yards in hot sun and my body getting totally exhausted. Have been going through the same treatment as previously. I am now down to 10 mb. But I am having harder time getting it into remission. I am still having some problems with my speech which has always been my major problem. Never have had many problems with muscles. Do have problems going up lots of steps. My MD says I have been blessed with such a mild case of MG. I thank God every night for my blessings. I know some people really have it bad. I live a normal life and take Mestinon as needed for speech. Most time one pill a day will suffice for speech problems.

Comment from: tammy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I feel like I'm so sick every day. When I have some energy I try to do normal activity like cleaning house, but then it just takes so much energy I get so tired I can feel my eyes to start to drop and my muscles get so very tired I can't even work anymore. I just don't feel normal any more. I can't wait to get the right kind of help.

Comment from: seafood 4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was diagnosed in 2010 with myasthenia gravis. First the doctors thought it was a stroke in 2007. I had all the signs and symptoms. Then after a while I started having a lot of tingles on all parts of my body. When I would drive, my eyes would just slowly close up. I had a tired feeling that was just unreal. Fortunately, the medications are really helping me a great deal. I must say, I have an awesome medical team of doctors and nurses.

Comment from: gasol, 45-54 Female Published: March 22

When I was first diagnosed with myasthenia gravis, I had double vision in my left eye. Five years later, I still have vision problems, mainly blurred vision. Sometimes I cannot focus on something. I feel that I have more pain in my arms than weakness. I take my medication every day, but lately, my vision seems to be getting worse.

Comment from: aida, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was just diagnosed with MG. In addition to all the typical symptoms, I am always tired and weak.

Comment from: Annerie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My first symptom was double vision.I would have to hold my hand over my left eye to see clearly. Got diagnosed when my doctor noticed my right eye drooping. I had been experiencing unrelenting fatigue for more than a year prior to these developments. I have been prescribed Mestinon but after reading all the side affects I'm nervous about taking it. But lately it's been harder and harder to breathe (I'm asthmatic). As I am a jeweler and need my eyes I wonder about my future prognosis. Will start the Mestonin today.

Comment from: police girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with MG on September 11, 2001. I had the worst case of it. I use to be a firefighter and a police officer. I really didn't know when I was falling down at work what it actually was. I have had all the medications, a thymectomy, and treatments that you could do for myasenthia. The only thing that is working for me right now is the prednisone and plasma exchange every month. But the treatments are not lasting an entire four weeks. I have bad days, but I refuse to let myasenthia beat me. It might have taken away my ability to be a police officer – something I love – but I will continue to fight. Don't give up: we are going to beat myasenthia gravis.