Patient Comments: Myasthenia Gravis - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with myasthenia gravis?

Comment from: Ray P, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I was just diagnosed with myasthenia gravis (MG) after four years of thinking I had mitochondrial myopathy. When my eyelid began to droop and I grew tired from eating and talking, my primary care doctor said I have myasthenia gravis and started me on a treatment for it. I had tested negative for MG previously. It's been a few days now, and I can walk to the end of the street and back without braces. I feel hopeful again. I believe that I will be able to walk without my braces more and more. I haven't experienced any further fatigue from chewing or talking, and my eyelid isn't covering a quarter of my eye! So, I hope this offers someone else hope that things can get better.

Comment from: Guitarman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

My neurologist is currently testing me for myasthenia gravis (MG). I started having symptoms about 2 years ago. I would fall down and could hardly get back up. I wake in the morning absolutely fatigued and feeling bad. I experience nerve pain continuously and am having breathing difficulty and swallowing difficulty. I sometimes choke on my food and drink and cough until I feel I am going to faint. I will awaken at night and can't get my breath and thus have a panic attack. My CPK is very elevated (440) and my urine is dark. My doctor had given me prednisone but it didn't really help. I am now taking ropinirole and gabapentin while awaiting further testing, but still am very fatigued and painful and still having trouble swallowing and breathing. Also, I can hardly climb stairs and walk for very long.

Comment from: sudie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My husband was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis (MG) little over a year ago. It started out with double vision, and an ophthalmologist said he had 3rd nerve palsy and fitted him with lenses to solve the problem. Then he had speech slurring and weakness and thinking it was a TIA (transient ischemic attack) I took him to the emergency room (ER) where he stayed for a couple of days. A neurologist diagnosed the MG and started him on Mestinon. Immediately after taking the first dose his double vision ceased. He was also put on prednisone. He still gets tired more easily, but we're thankful it's not more serious. He is 80 years old but his energy level has always been real good, so it is good to know that this treatment has been successful.

Comment from: Marcie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

My first symptom of myasthenia gravis was double vision in my left eye. I have difficulty moving my eyes from side to side. I feel a pull in the eye muscles. I have dizziness, lightheadedness and it's sometimes difficult to focus on a task. I also have fatigue and at times it is extreme along with muscle weakness.

Comment from: Bev, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have only been diagnosed with myasthenia gravis for 3 1/2 years beginning with the eye then moving down to muscles and extreme fatigue. My doctor started me on Mestinon 60x4 a day. I did not get relief nor did my eye open. She then began the prednisone with the Mestinon and I was a little better until I went into myasthenia crisis. After a week in the hospital and 5 plasmapheresis treatments and another medication (Imuran) I am currently holding my own but am still very fatigued. I try to follow doctor"s orders and rest daily at least once before I get to the point of collapse. That seems to help.

Comment from: Bmg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

It is just confirmed that I have myasthenia gravis (MG). It started with a drooping right eye lid. I have also been extremely tired. But in hind sight I likely have had it for a while. I have had some pain in my left arm for a couple of months prior to the drooping eyelid! I am now on Mestinon and am dealing with the side effects! I think the vision problems and the fatigue are the hardest to deal with. I realized that I can"t do a lot and expect to have energy for the next day! So I have to pace myself. For now I pick and choose what work will get done and from now on I will do next to nothing on Saturday so I can have the energy for church on Sunday. Considering I am a minister, this is important!

Comment from: Bigdogmd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed 3 months ago from droopy eye and breathing issues. However I am an asthmatic when we have extreme weather changes, etc. I am on prednisone and Mestinon. Saturday morning at 4 a.m. I had an acute attack myasthenia gravis in my legs, especially my left leg. I have had fusion of 4 lumbar discs but this was out of the blue. I could not walk and was in acute pain in my legs. More my left then right. After 120 mg of prednisone and Mestinon plus a muscle relaxer I began to settle down hours later.

Comment from: Smocker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

With myasthenia gravis I experience vertical double vision, shortness of breath, muscle contractions in my left leg which cause me to fall and occasional trouble swallowing. With the leg contractions, I feel an electrical impulse that causes my leg to contract, without warning, and I fall. I recently had a lamination and fusion of L4 and 5.

Myasthenia Gravis - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective for your myasthenia gravis?
Myasthenia Gravis - Diagnostic Tests Question: What tests were performed to diagnose your myasthenia gravis?