Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?

Comment from: retired senior, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I became immune to 50 mg of nortriptyline after years. I take Lyrica now and it helps with the muscle spasms. The nortriptyline gave me too many cavities due to dry mouth. Biotene mouthwash only lasts an hour. I am also getting weaned off tizanidine 4 mg because of the dry mouth now. I have back issues and an MRI done but they honestly don't know if it is causing the spasms. No surgery was suggested. Physical therapy helps, but there are those spasms that will not release. Then I go to Urgent Care for an injection of Toradol for instant relief. I read posttraumatic incidents in life cause an abnormal flow of chemicals in the brain where certain chemicals leave the brain too fast and causes spasms.

Comment from: GBG, 45-54 Male Published: January 14

I was golfing and walking back to the cart, and stepped wrong on a tree root. My left foot curved over it and next thing I knew I heard a pop and was down in the mud. I broke my lateral malleolus in a clean horizontal break. This was December 26. I have another week to go before my next evaluation on January 20. My leg hasn't touched the floor since and my muscle tone is already gone. I scoot around the house on an office chair, and on crutches and a knee walker when out, but out doesn't happen often. I can drive but getting the crutches and scooter are difficult on my own. I broke my collar bone last year too and developed arthritis in it after it healed. I'm scared this will happen to my ankle causing pain and no more heels! Good luck to everyone who is dealing with a similar issue.

Comment from: Misery, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I came down with an earache in December. It was rather sudden. I thought my speaker went on my laptop, and I couldn't hear it. I got an earache in the left ear for a day, then sudden crackling and clear fluid tinged with blood came out; then pus. I went to urgent care the next day and they put me on azithromycin orally. Then the right eardrum perforated. After 4 days on the oral medication, I went to primary care. They did not think it was bacterial infection; rather viral, but put me on steroid/antibiotic drops twice daily. I have almost finished with drops, but cannot hear. It is difficult to drive, and my balance is impaired due to other sensory losses previous to this. I have ENT appointment on January 26. This is awful. I did have earache as a child and a perforation in my 20s but never bilateral!

Comment from: J9, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

Dill pickle juice has stopped severe muscle spasms that begin in my legs and spread quickly to all muscles in both legs. I drink about a fourth of a cup a week and have not suffered any for about two years now.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had muscle cramps in several areas for over 20 years. I have been using a tablespoon of mustard for years and it usually relieves the cramp in a few minutes. For cramps that persist longer, I take 3 or 4 pills of NuAge # 8 Mag Phos pills. They are available at health food stores. I had a very bad leg cramp this morning. I took a tablespoon of mustard and 5 minutes later 4 of the pills. In less than 5 minutes the cramp subsided. My husband is amazed at how fast this works.

Comment from: Greyhound, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have severe pain under right scapula. I got three trigger point injections but did not work. I have heavy narcotics but not helping so far. They gave me Flexeril just now.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.