Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?

Comment from: GBG, 45-54 Male Published: January 14

I was golfing and walking back to the cart, and stepped wrong on a tree root. My left foot curved over it and next thing I knew I heard a pop and was down in the mud. I broke my lateral malleolus in a clean horizontal break. This was December 26. I have another week to go before my next evaluation on January 20. My leg hasn't touched the floor since and my muscle tone is already gone. I scoot around the house on an office chair, and on crutches and a knee walker when out, but out doesn't happen often. I can drive but getting the crutches and scooter are difficult on my own. I broke my collar bone last year too and developed arthritis in it after it healed. I'm scared this will happen to my ankle causing pain and no more heels! Good luck to everyone who is dealing with a similar issue.

Comment from: Misery, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I came down with an earache in December. It was rather sudden. I thought my speaker went on my laptop, and I couldn't hear it. I got an earache in the left ear for a day, then sudden crackling and clear fluid tinged with blood came out; then pus. I went to urgent care the next day and they put me on azithromycin orally. Then the right eardrum perforated. After 4 days on the oral medication, I went to primary care. They did not think it was bacterial infection; rather viral, but put me on steroid/antibiotic drops twice daily. I have almost finished with drops, but cannot hear. It is difficult to drive, and my balance is impaired due to other sensory losses previous to this. I have ENT appointment on January 26. This is awful. I did have earache as a child and a perforation in my 20s but never bilateral!

Comment from: J9, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

Dill pickle juice has stopped severe muscle spasms that begin in my legs and spread quickly to all muscles in both legs. I drink about a fourth of a cup a week and have not suffered any for about two years now.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had muscle cramps in several areas for over 20 years. I have been using a tablespoon of mustard for years and it usually relieves the cramp in a few minutes. For cramps that persist longer, I take 3 or 4 pills of NuAge # 8 Mag Phos pills. They are available at health food stores. I had a very bad leg cramp this morning. I took a tablespoon of mustard and 5 minutes later 4 of the pills. In less than 5 minutes the cramp subsided. My husband is amazed at how fast this works.

Comment from: searching for relief, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I get spasms all the time and everywhere. My doctors are stumped, I"ve had all sorts of tests, the last to be a muscle biopsy in the area where the spasm occur the most. I have been given the muscle relaxers, which work but I can't take it when at work as it makes me sleepy. What I have found to work for me is Gatorade and Leg Cramps by Hyland's. It"s a temporary fix but it does help.

Comment from: Greyhound, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have severe pain under right scapula. I got three trigger point injections but did not work. I have heavy narcotics but not helping so far. They gave me Flexeril just now.

Comment from: Molly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) for 19 years and fibromyalgia for 10 years. Different medications from the doctor have made me seriously ill and did nothing for the severe muscle spasms which left me unable to even straighten up in the morning for 3 hours despite using a medical hot tub at home every day. After recent research I persuaded my general physician to give me 0.088mg of pramipexole (the lowest dose) which has stopped the muscle spasms particularly at night and I am able to get out of bed now without using a stick. The stiffness still remains and is made worse by a cold, damp climate. Dry warm weather abroad makes an amazing difference. Diazepam 5mg works wonders on the stiffness but my doctor refuses to give me 5 mg once a day on the grounds of possible addiction. Who cares at 68 years old if it makes life pain free and improves the quality of life!

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.