Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had muscle cramps in several areas for over 20 years. I have been using a tablespoon of mustard for years and it usually relieves the cramp in a few minutes. For cramps that persist longer, I take 3 or 4 pills of NuAge # 8 Mag Phos pills. They are available at health food stores. I had a very bad leg cramp this morning. I took a tablespoon of mustard and 5 minutes later 4 of the pills. In less than 5 minutes the cramp subsided. My husband is amazed at how fast this works.

Comment from: searching for relief, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I get spasms all the time and everywhere. My doctors are stumped, I"ve had all sorts of tests, the last to be a muscle biopsy in the area where the spasm occur the most. I have been given the muscle relaxers, which work but I can't take it when at work as it makes me sleepy. What I have found to work for me is Gatorade and Leg Cramps by Hyland's. It"s a temporary fix but it does help.

Comment from: Molly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) for 19 years and fibromyalgia for 10 years. Different medications from the doctor have made me seriously ill and did nothing for the severe muscle spasms which left me unable to even straighten up in the morning for 3 hours despite using a medical hot tub at home every day. After recent research I persuaded my general physician to give me 0.088mg of pramipexole (the lowest dose) which has stopped the muscle spasms particularly at night and I am able to get out of bed now without using a stick. The stiffness still remains and is made worse by a cold, damp climate. Dry warm weather abroad makes an amazing difference. Diazepam 5mg works wonders on the stiffness but my doctor refuses to give me 5 mg once a day on the grounds of possible addiction. Who cares at 68 years old if it makes life pain free and improves the quality of life!

Comment from: The Caregiver, Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

I"ve been having really bad muscle spasms since I injured my back and neck in some auto accidents which were caused by the other drivers. I tried all of the most popular muscle relaxants but they either didn"t work and caused me side effects that I didn"t want or they"d just knock me out which I didn"t like. Then I read up on the diazepam and saw that they help with muscle spasms along with many other uses. So I asked my doctor if I could try the diazepam, so he put me on a 5mg dose twice a day as needed. That was in 1998 and I"m still taking 10mg a day as needed for the muscle spasms, anxiety and panic disorder, and occasional insomnia.

Comment from: WoJoe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have fibromyalgia quite bad. I get restless leg syndrome and leg cramps whenever I am on my feet a lot. Moist heat is the only thing that helps. By the time you apply the moist heat it takes only 5 to 10 minutes for relief. I had them so bad the night before last that it still hurts in that area. I do not have a cure but relief from the pain at the onset helps tremendously. I am not only a patient but a caregiver for my son so I am under a lot of disadvantage for keeping the pains from occurring.

Comment from: mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have been having trouble with my right hip and leg for almost two weeks.in the last our days it knotted up in the front of my hip and radiated down my thigh to my knee. I started drinking tons of water and taking vitamins, this did not help much but did get me started in the right direction. I did start hurting so bad one night that I puked from the pain, my wife had found an old prescription for Flexeril so I took that and three Tylenol and two aspirin. I ended up going to the hospital which they pretty much did nothing for me. They gave me some muscle relaxants and told me if I was not any better in 4 to 5 days to call my doctor. I was at the point of desperation and needing some sleep and relief. I still have the charley horse and pain and do not know what else to do except take the relaxants.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.