Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?

Comment from: cmcnaul, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

When I get an upper respiratory infection, I often get laryngeal muscle spasms. I have bronchial asthma by the way; so URI's tend to get a little too scary for me. It creates a sense of panic, and with a "chest cold" like that, then have a coughing fit further inflames my throat. (In years past, I'd tell my doctor that the tightness is in my voice box). Three times in the past several years, I've had such a spasm that required a doctor's intervention. However, like in the ER visit, they kept listening for asthma, and not paying attention my telling them it's in my throat not my chest! That time when I had this spasm, it took a couple hours for the swelling to go down. They gave me one of those breathing treatments and that helped enough where they would release me from the hospital. Now, I know what the darn episode is called, hopefully I won't stump the doctors in the future. Doctors just don't listen to what patients tell them. Now with the bronchial asthma, I use albuterol, but every time I get this, I always develop a lot of mucous in my voice box at the same time. Which still stumps the doctors. It's usually set off by an allergen of some kind.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am a 54 year old woman that has had severe muscle spasms constantly for about a year in my rib cage sometimes going into the back of my ribs, also I have them at night in my feet and ankles. I asked my family doctor about it, my potassium is good, no answer. I go to a pain specialist for injections for other health issues, I told him, he put me on Zanaflex. I have never heard of this drug, but it does work just take them as directed.

Comment from: ymisosilly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

After suffering from severe muscle spasms in my right shoulder (scapula) for 19 months, I was finally able to receive Botox injections. The injections have stopped the spasms, but it's still really painful to lift my arm.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.