Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?

Comment from: Robbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I went off of gluten. When I am paying attention and don't eat gluten I have few to no muscle spasms and twitches. When I eat something like breaded chicken or a piece of pie, I have terrible spasms and twitches. It shocks me that I accidently eat gluten, when it causes a painful reaction so quickly.

Comment from: Barbarita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I've been taking furosemide every few days, which causes incredible spasms in my calves and feet, along with spasms in my back and ribs. After trying many things, the medication that really helps me, is Baclofen 10 mg, twice daily.

Comment from: Lindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have been having muscle spasms on the right side of my back for about 5 years, due to a scoliosis that has been gradually got worse. Hence the muscle spasms are also getting worse. I have seem a rheumatologist because I also have arthritis in my spine, hands, knees and shoulders. I have been taking Cymbalta for pain, but it also helps my moods (good thing) and I take Targin and Valium for the pain and muscle spasms. I don't like taking such strong medication and have asked my Rheumatologist to find out about getting Botox injections in the large back muscle. Has anyone had this treatment and if so, how did it work?

Comment from: tskar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been having muscle spasms in my neck and lower back since last Easter so my doctor sent me to a pain relief center which gave me a lots of pain medication and ended up in the ICU with a dissected artery in August. I went without any spasms and pain. After my artery was coiled off for couple of months now the spasms are back and I keep being sent to different doctors. I might have to learn how to live with the pain.

Comment from: mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I drink one glass of tonic water for my muscle spasms. Quinine really works for me – I hope other have good luck with it and also start to feel better.

Comment from: rosalie1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had muscle spasms for years and almost lived off of pain killers and muscle relaxers. About 5 years ago, I started to get regular deep tissue massages. When I say regular, I started out about twice a week. I am now down to every other week and the results have been great. I am not taking medicine and feel much better and more relaxed.

Comment from: Spasm dot com, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

10 mg of valium works wonders for people who suffer from muscle spasms. Because nerves are involved, it stands to reason that relaxing them with valium will relax the nervous system, thus relieving the pain and spasm. I've been using them for years and they work well. Most, if not all, doctors know this, but do not like to prescribe habit forming drugs. If not get a new doctor that will.

Comment from: dairose, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I have severe muscle spasms in my both calves. They look like something moving under my skin, then the whole calve muscle splits in two and my legs look they are being broken. It then travels to my feet, and now my arms and shoulders, I have seen at least 8 gas and specialists with no answers. Please help. It's quite unbearable, I can no longer drive and have had to retire early.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 46 years and recently I am having pain in my upper back the doctor said that it is muscle spasms it is very painful expecially at nights.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.