Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?

Comment from: mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I drink one glass of tonic water for my muscle spasms. Quinine really works for me – I hope other have good luck with it and also start to feel better.

Comment from: rosalie1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had muscle spasms for years and almost lived off of pain killers and muscle relaxers. About 5 years ago, I started to get regular deep tissue massages. When I say regular, I started out about twice a week. I am now down to every other week and the results have been great. I am not taking medicine and feel much better and more relaxed.

Comment from: Spasm dot com, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

10 mg of valium works wonders for people who suffer from muscle spasms. Because nerves are involved, it stands to reason that relaxing them with valium will relax the nervous system, thus relieving the pain and spasm. I've been using them for years and they work well. Most, if not all, doctors know this, but do not like to prescribe habit forming drugs. If not get a new doctor that will.

Comment from: dairose, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I have severe muscle spasms in my both calves. They look like something moving under my skin, then the whole calve muscle splits in two and my legs look they are being broken. It then travels to my feet, and now my arms and shoulders, I have seen at least 8 gas and specialists with no answers. Please help. It's quite unbearable, I can no longer drive and have had to retire early.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 46 years and recently I am having pain in my upper back the doctor said that it is muscle spasms it is very painful expecially at nights.

Published: July 05

I had severe spasms and pain in my thighs and legs that were literally debilitating. I began taking 1 teaspoon vinegar with 1 teaspoon honey in warm water first thing in the morning. Within 3 days I had no spasms for the first time in more than 5 years. They had begun gradually and increased to the point that I could not sleep at night and occurred during the day as well. I had tried potassium supplements, bananas and magnesium and it did not work.

Comment from: Tuna47112, 45-54 Male Published: July 05

I woke up one morning and my feet, my legs, my hips and shoulders all locked up, I tried everything to get out of bed, nothing seemed to work so I lay there in pain, 4 hours go by finally I pulled on the sheets to try to get up, couldn't get up' So I rolled out of bed, and trying to stand up, but no success, so I crawled over to the dresser and pushed out the drawers and finally got a hold of something and pushed myself up. While I was pushing my legs started cramping real bad, finally I called out to my brother, he came and helped me, everything in my body was locking up.

Comment from: Joey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

To treat my muscle spasms I take 3 Potassium and 3 Magnesium tablets a day and drink 2-3 bottles of Gatorade.

Comment from: lea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

To treat my muscle spasms I drink water, eat food with potassium, magnesium, mainly water...I also reduce caffeine. Especially if you have a cold, eat liquids like chicken soup and healthy juices with extra water.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.