Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?

Comment from: mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have been having trouble with my right hip and leg for almost two the last our days it knotted up in the front of my hip and radiated down my thigh to my knee. I started drinking tons of water and taking vitamins, this did not help much but did get me started in the right direction. I did start hurting so bad one night that I puked from the pain, my wife had found an old prescription for Flexeril so I took that and three Tylenol and two aspirin. I ended up going to the hospital which they pretty much did nothing for me. They gave me some muscle relaxants and told me if I was not any better in 4 to 5 days to call my doctor. I was at the point of desperation and needing some sleep and relief. I still have the charley horse and pain and do not know what else to do except take the relaxants.

Comment from: Rosemary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have been diagnosed with Diabetes (approx 2 years ago, Emphysema (approx 15 years ago), Hypersensitive Pneumenitis (1 year ago). For approx 1 year I have experienced regular spasm around my ribcage and occasionally in my stomach. The pain is severe and can last for hours. Although I have discussed the spasms with my GP he has been unable to suggest treatment. Is there anyone out there who can advise on prevention or indeed methods of cutting down the severity or length of time of the spasms.

Comment from: DanaK, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am 29 years old. I have been wrongly diagnosed all of my adulthood. My body hurts constantly. Sometimes it hurts worse than I could ever imagine. I have a herniated disc at L5-S1. Doctors thought my pain will go away after having a radiofrequency ablation. (They burned six of my nerves in my back). After 5 weeks I found some results. I still had pains that would occur at night, horrible kinds. I went to five different doctors and they all said it was in my head and had no clue what to do, they sent me home with nothing but the intense pain. I don't know what to do. I have about 30 different things that I am diagnosed with at this time. It is really hard to divide my symptoms.

Comment from: Physical Medicine, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 13

Physical therapy, daily exercise, good posture, muscular relaxants, avoid stressful situations, don't take your work to home. if you have any quarrel just turn around. Watch funny or non stressful movies or TV programs. Avoid coffee or caffeine products, kisses and hugs to friends, family helps.

Comment from: Robbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I went off of gluten. When I am paying attention and don't eat gluten I have few to no muscle spasms and twitches. When I eat something like breaded chicken or a piece of pie, I have terrible spasms and twitches. It shocks me that I accidently eat gluten, when it causes a painful reaction so quickly.

Comment from: Barbarita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I've been taking furosemide every few days, which causes incredible spasms in my calves and feet, along with spasms in my back and ribs. After trying many things, the medication that really helps me, is Baclofen 10 mg, twice daily.

Comment from: Lindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have been having muscle spasms on the right side of my back for about 5 years, due to a scoliosis that has been gradually got worse. Hence the muscle spasms are also getting worse. I have seem a rheumatologist because I also have arthritis in my spine, hands, knees and shoulders. I have been taking Cymbalta for pain, but it also helps my moods (good thing) and I take Targin and Valium for the pain and muscle spasms. I don't like taking such strong medication and have asked my Rheumatologist to find out about getting Botox injections in the large back muscle. Has anyone had this treatment and if so, how did it work?

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.