Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?

Comment from: The Caregiver, Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

I"ve been having really bad muscle spasms since I injured my back and neck in some auto accidents which were caused by the other drivers. I tried all of the most popular muscle relaxants but they either didn"t work and caused me side effects that I didn"t want or they"d just knock me out which I didn"t like. Then I read up on the diazepam and saw that they help with muscle spasms along with many other uses. So I asked my doctor if I could try the diazepam, so he put me on a 5mg dose twice a day as needed. That was in 1998 and I"m still taking 10mg a day as needed for the muscle spasms, anxiety and panic disorder, and occasional insomnia.

Comment from: WoJoe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have fibromyalgia quite bad. I get restless leg syndrome and leg cramps whenever I am on my feet a lot. Moist heat is the only thing that helps. By the time you apply the moist heat it takes only 5 to 10 minutes for relief. I had them so bad the night before last that it still hurts in that area. I do not have a cure but relief from the pain at the onset helps tremendously. I am not only a patient but a caregiver for my son so I am under a lot of disadvantage for keeping the pains from occurring.

Comment from: mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have been having trouble with my right hip and leg for almost two weeks.in the last our days it knotted up in the front of my hip and radiated down my thigh to my knee. I started drinking tons of water and taking vitamins, this did not help much but did get me started in the right direction. I did start hurting so bad one night that I puked from the pain, my wife had found an old prescription for Flexeril so I took that and three Tylenol and two aspirin. I ended up going to the hospital which they pretty much did nothing for me. They gave me some muscle relaxants and told me if I was not any better in 4 to 5 days to call my doctor. I was at the point of desperation and needing some sleep and relief. I still have the charley horse and pain and do not know what else to do except take the relaxants.

Comment from: Rosemary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have been diagnosed with Diabetes (approx 2 years ago, Emphysema (approx 15 years ago), Hypersensitive Pneumenitis (1 year ago). For approx 1 year I have experienced regular spasm around my ribcage and occasionally in my stomach. The pain is severe and can last for hours. Although I have discussed the spasms with my GP he has been unable to suggest treatment. Is there anyone out there who can advise on prevention or indeed methods of cutting down the severity or length of time of the spasms.

Comment from: DanaK, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am 29 years old. I have been wrongly diagnosed all of my adulthood. My body hurts constantly. Sometimes it hurts worse than I could ever imagine. I have a herniated disc at L5-S1. Doctors thought my pain will go away after having a radiofrequency ablation. (They burned six of my nerves in my back). After 5 weeks I found some results. I still had pains that would occur at night, horrible kinds. I went to five different doctors and they all said it was in my head and had no clue what to do, they sent me home with nothing but the intense pain. I don't know what to do. I have about 30 different things that I am diagnosed with at this time. It is really hard to divide my symptoms.

Comment from: Physical Medicine, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 13

Physical therapy, daily exercise, good posture, muscular relaxants, avoid stressful situations, don't take your work to home. if you have any quarrel just turn around. Watch funny or non stressful movies or TV programs. Avoid coffee or caffeine products, kisses and hugs to friends, family helps.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.