Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms

What was the cause of your muscle spasms?

Comment from: jane brown, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I fell on ice on my back. The muscle spasms started 1 week after. I had no broken bones.

Comment from: Jseymour83, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had radiation in 1986 for throat cancer. Twenty plus years later I experience spasms in my throat. My muscles have fused into one muscle there. Drinking tonic water is the only help I've found, in addition to muscle relaxants.

Comment from: Hartleymama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Side effect of citalopram was anxiety attacks. I have involuntary muscle spasm in left hand, sometimes continuous shaking.

Comment from: Fibro gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

The article on causes of muscle spasms, including large muscle groups, fails to mention fibromyalgia. Recent research has shown that elevated lactic acid levels in muscles that fail to clear normally, is present in fibromyalgia patients. This leads to cramping, muscle tightness and soreness in every muscle similar to having run a marathon. Extreme muscle spasms can result with just the simplest repetitive activity, or body position. It would be good to include this since fibromyalgia is still a difficult diagnosis to get to, in the absence of a definitive lab test.

Comment from: johanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I get this pain right across my chest and my back. I do cleaning as a job and it might be the cause for my muscle spasm.

Comment from: Vonda, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 12

I have upper and lower back spasms.

Comment from: Amber, 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 27

I fell on icy ground last week badly bruised my hip. Now I am having dreadful groin spasms and cannot stand. The muscle spasms are so painful.

Comment from: Abid, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I have pain in right leg and lower back. I have had MRI of spinal cord. It shows there is muscle spasm and due to it a little space has been created between two disks and back bone has been straightened a little bit from lower back.

Comment from: Saladbar, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Prescription opiate withdrawal caused my muscle spasms.

Comment from: num48, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I have 2 herniated disks in my lower back which causes me extreme pain and difficulty walking. I usually get a shot of Toradol in the buttocks on my right side for it. I recently had another injection but on the left side of my buttocks. For some reason it caused me severe pulsating lower back spasms that were unbearable. I was barely able to reach my medication and when I finally did I took a Hydromorph Contin pain killer and in 5 minutes it went away.

Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with muscle spasms.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.