Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms

What was the cause of your muscle spasms?

Comment from: monica, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have been suffering from pain for last 4 years it started after my son was born, first it was just waist down, in the buttocks but now is in every major muscle of my body calf, shin, back, shoulders and thighs. I feel all these muscle are in spasm all the time and I am in pain 24/7, 12 months a year. I need to figure out what's causing these pains.

Comment from: Simi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I developed an allergy due to a different kind of woolen blanket I used for the winter. It took me a while to recognize that the cause of the allergy was the blanket. By the time I went to the doctor, the allergy (rashes) had spread all over by back and shoulders. The doctor advised me to have a blood test done and found that my RBC count was low and WBC very high. From past 2 weeks I am on medication but since past 4 days I am experiencing muscle spasm in my left mid back. The low RBC count is the cause of muscle spasm.

Comment from: ceresmary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

In the case of myself and my husband, we both have spastic diplegia cerebral palsy. This causes muscle spasms systematic from head to toe, without necessary cause that we've found! It can be anything from turning sideways (side twisting) that can cause diaphragm spasms, to a charley horse like feeling! As I have additionally fibromyalgia, the muscle spasms tend to be more pronounced than when I was younger and tend to last longer.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

My muscle spasms originally started as a reaction to an antipsychotic medication called Haldol. My psychiatrist said that the muscle spasms would cease once my body got used to the medication. However, they continued to persist, and, because of my doctor's reluctance to try me on some other type of antipsychotic, I developed tardive dystonia. My spasms mainly happen in my neck, forcing my neck to go back for long periods of time, which is extremely painful. Occasionally, they happen in my hands and arms. My doctors have told me that my condition is permanent. If my psychiatrist had only listened to me when I told him I was having muscle spasms, the doctor said I could have avoided having this disorder for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Female Published: July 27

My fiancée is 45 years old. She was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Her muscle spasms at night have gotten much worse. She is on tizanidine (Zanaflex). She wakes up very sore and tired from the muscle spasms.

Comment from: james, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I am a diabetic. I also have back problems. I get leg cramps usually at night. The only thing that works for me is to take two or three teaspoons of mustard. I would like to find a solution to the problem.

Comment from: Doris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have been suffering with muscle spasms in all parts of my body for about 5 years or more now. The midriff and back areas are the worst. Yesterday it was my colon, I had to stretch and rest. Sometimes just reaching to the back around causes spasms in my rib and back area; very painful. This does cause me problems when driving. I have to stop the car and stretch. I have been to the doctor several times but with no diagnosis given.

Comment from: Shethom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

After TKR (total knee replacement) I have had really bad muscle spasms behind my knee and in the calf muscles and the thigh. My leg bends and twists in this spasm and I cannot put my foot to the ground; my ankle also swells and I feel it cannot take my body weight to walk.

Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.