Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms

What was the cause of your muscle spasms?

Comment from: Ardie, 45-54 Female Published: November 09

I was in an accident and I really did not get hurt, but since then I feel like I am having muscle spasms in my left side and left side of my back. I am very sore and the pain takes my breath away. It is like a very painful catch.

Comment from: rickster, 45-54 Male Published: October 28

I'm a 49 year old male and have been having muscle spasms and twitching all over my body for about 18 months now. Although not painful in any way I only notice them when I'm relaxed. My doctor says there is nothing to worry about and that it could just be my nerves, but I'm not sure only time will tell.

Comment from: gallahan42, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have secondary progressive MS and have spasms in the night and during the day. My doctor has tried a drug used for treating restless leg syndrome call Mirapex. It works wonderful. I can sleep at night, also during the day. I take a Mirapex and about 20 minutes later the spasms are gone. My doctor said that since the dosage is small, there is room in the future to take more as the MS gets worse.

Comment from: chaerry, Male (Caregiver) Published: September 02

Until now it is not known clearly what the real causes for muscle spasms are. Having correct diet and doing work outs are the only way to avoid them. Thanks for sharing.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was diagnosed with hemi facial spasms and had an EMG done to confirm this before doing a MVD surgery. The EMG was "negative" so the diagnosis was eliminated and surgery was cancelled. My concern is that when I lie down the drawing in my face relaxes and is fairly normal.

Comment from: D for, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I am having small muscle spasm on and off over most of my body. Most appear to be in the hands lower arms, feet (including soles) lower and upper legs, but I also get them in the rest of the body and buttocks. They are small but painless spasms that seldom stop me from doing anything. I have been tested for the normal chemical deficiency but all come back clear. These spasms have been ongoing now for approximately 13 weeks.

Comment from: jerry, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

Information about the muscle spasms, causes and precautions to be taken to avoid them is very useful. Thanks for posting.

Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.