Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms

What was the cause of your muscle spasms?

Comment from: leigh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

hi there i'm in a right mess i'm only 33 and have spondylitis or some thing like that of the lower back/sine my back pain has been awful no one knew what it was that wrong with me its been 3yrs now and i'm still suffering i now have muscle spasms at the front of my leg at the top in the night its killer really takes my breath away i'm on lots of pain med have been for 3yrs now i need an operation been told but he wont give it to me till i lost 5stone which is stupid as i cant wait any longer really as the pain is awful and i have another child now she's 1 i was house bound when pregnant to couldn't walk now i can but only so far cant sit for to long cant stand hardly at all really i feel uses less at times cant do what i want to do like go gym ride bike ect i get weakness in my legs to and have to watch what i do with the baby to as when i over do it i really suffer with pain.

Comment from: Emma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

Several years ago after having babies I got very ill. I had digestive trouble (backed up, sluggish, undigested, etc.). Other symptoms included skin rash/acne, severe painful muscle spasms in my neck, back, and legs. I had a thyroid test, allergy tests, and celiac panel, which all came back normal. I went on a gluten-Free diet anyway and most of my symptoms resolved (some relief by the first week, then lots of relief in a month). I can't get an explanation from doctors; they don't seem to know. One doctor did say that back pain can be associated with digestive problems. I have a hard time absorbing all my nutrients and vitamins and have to supplement even though I eat a healthy diet. After having my children, I had a permanent muscle spasm in my neck for eight years and muscles spasms in my back that was constant. Now I only get it once in a blue moon if my digestion is disturbed. My muscle spasms and twitching in my legs are totally gone. I feel I should stay on a gluten-free diet or my symptoms will return. If anyone tries a gluten-free diet, you don't need to buy lots of gluten-free products because it can get expensive. Just eat healthy, unprocessed, home-cooked foods. Make your own snacks and breads.

Comment from: scribe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

My spasms began when I was about 10 years old; I got them in my legs, hips, knees and ankles. The doctor said it was growing pains! I now have several muscles around my ribs in the front that are bulging like lumps from them being in spasm so long and they won't straighten out, my back has the same problems. I don't have any problems bending or stretching etc. I was told I had a Thyroid problem, but I think I was misdiagnosed as I stopped taking the tablets for 6 months now but when I did take them my muscle spasms got worse, I was in agony all the time even now I can't laugh too much because it brings it on around my ribs my friend got the same thing and she is on thyroxin as I was.

Comment from: mammys3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

My spasms started about 2 years ago when I ruptured disks c6 and c7. I have not been the same since. I am very sensitive on my left side. It feels like my latissimus dorsi is messed up it constantly spasms really hard.

Comment from: jjsan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I start out with cramps in the toes, ankles, and then leg spasms begin up my entire leg. They are so painful that I am screaming for help. I can't stand, much less walk. They last from five minutes to half an hour before any sign of relief. It is happening so much that going to bed is a nightmare because I know I am just closing my eyes to be awakened by cramps and muscle spasms an hour or so after I go to sleep. Nothing helps: muscle relaxers, pain meds, nothing.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

2 years ago I fell down steps, causing herniated L4 disc, bulging L5 disc, and my muscles in my lower back seemed to ripple like an accordion when I fell. My surgeon cut me open to see what these large and painful lumps were under my skin, and found that they were spastic muscles. The spasms were out of control and constant. Needless to say, there was nothing he could do so he sewed me back up and sent me home. Since then I lost my job, and no longer have insurance. I am in constant pain and movement is limited. I cry a lot.

Comment from: Mrgrimm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I often get muscle spasms in the morning, usually around my calves. During the days I get them after sitting down for a long time. (plane rides are like hell, as well as going to a long movie). Most of the time, I know when they are coming. I do not know if they are related to dehydration or a lack of potassium and /or Magnesium.

Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.