Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms

What was the cause of your muscle spasms?

Comment from: klcminor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had polio in 1954 when 18 months old & was diagnosed with post polio in 1996. Muscle spasms are a fact of life for me, but have changed since moving to AZ in 2008 - more frequent & severe & recovery takes longer.

Comment from: Annie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a twenty year old woman who practices Iyengar Yoga and the night after a class that was particularly straining for me, I woke up with a terrible cramp in what felt like a right glute muscle. I haven't experienced the same kind of cramping again, but the pain has not subsided for almost a month. Any type of physical activity, even walking, is extremely painful in the area that cramped.

Comment from: momof6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have a back muscle spasm for about 5 years, after my hysterectomy. I take carisoprodol and the dr. is wanting me to get the steroid shots in my back so I can stop taking the muscle relaxant. I don't want to do the steroid shots. What are my options?

Comment from: mama12, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had muscle spasms for 25 years. This always happens at night. I sleep on my side, and when I turn over to the other side and pull one leg up into the fetal position, it hits all at once. I feel the pain inside my upper leg, almost to the knee. These spasms last about 10 minutes. The pain is a deep, hard, pulsating pain that grabs and releases. It's so bad, I cry. I can't relieve the spasm by walking it out or rubbing it out. I just have to wait for it to subside. Last night, I had two spasms within one hour. I was prescribed cyclobenzaprine. The spasms seem to happen when I have worked hard around the house or in the yard. I am weak from my hips down. The pain is so strong that I feel exhausted the next day. I drink plenty of water and eat the right foods. I'm not sure what else I should do.

Comment from: donnawilson03, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 19

It is difficult to tell which of my conditions contributes to my spasms. I have fibromyalgia as well as herniations in L2, L3, L4 and L5. I have just received my first epidural for the herniations.

Comment from: JJUSPS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

BACK IN 2004 REC. RADIATIONCHEMO TREAMENT FOR TONSILLAR CANCER AND SINSE THEN I'VE EXPERIENCE SEVERE MUSCLE CRAMPS IN THE NECK AREA THAT PUTS ME DOWN TO THE GROUND DUE TO THE MUSCLE CRAMPS. THE DOCTOR FEELS ITS DUE TO THE RADIATION CHEMO TREATMENTS AND WILL NOT GET BETTER IT WILL GET WORSE. ANY BODY ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS PROBLEM AFTER RADIATION CHEMO.

Comment from: Happier n Healthier, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

5 years ago, I was given Cipro for an ear infection. I had a severe reaction which was treated improperly. Within 2 months, I developed severe occipital headaches, then severe pain and muscle spasms that became so bad that you could not bend my body. The local hospital and most of the doctors here were convinced that I was crazy or a drug addict. Luckily, I searched out-of-state and found a doctor who is both an M.D. and Holistic. He was able to diagnose me immediately. I'm not cured, but the relief started within 8 days. If you can't get relief, my suggestion is to look for alternative treatments. On the few occasions that I've needed urgent assistance for a spasm since treatment began, an I.V. of "Myer's Cocktail" or just magnesium and potassium will help much faster than any drug and is a lot safer than the narcotics the hospital uses.

Comment from: Jude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Every so often (about once a month) I wake up with horrible spasms in both of lower legs, from anout knee all the way to toes.(in back of legs). I try to smooth or rub them, nothing works. At times it feels it will stay, other times just a few seconds.once it happens, then I have it happen for several nights in a row.

Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.