Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms

What was the cause of your muscle spasms?

Comment from: momof6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have a back muscle spasm for about 5 years, after my hysterectomy. I take carisoprodol and the dr. is wanting me to get the steroid shots in my back so I can stop taking the muscle relaxant. I don't want to do the steroid shots. What are my options?

Comment from: mama12, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had muscle spasms for 25 years. This always happens at night. I sleep on my side, and when I turn over to the other side and pull one leg up into the fetal position, it hits all at once. I feel the pain inside my upper leg, almost to the knee. These spasms last about 10 minutes. The pain is a deep, hard, pulsating pain that grabs and releases. It's so bad, I cry. I can't relieve the spasm by walking it out or rubbing it out. I just have to wait for it to subside. Last night, I had two spasms within one hour. I was prescribed cyclobenzaprine. The spasms seem to happen when I have worked hard around the house or in the yard. I am weak from my hips down. The pain is so strong that I feel exhausted the next day. I drink plenty of water and eat the right foods. I'm not sure what else I should do.

Comment from: donnawilson03, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 19

It is difficult to tell which of my conditions contributes to my spasms. I have fibromyalgia as well as herniations in L2, L3, L4 and L5. I have just received my first epidural for the herniations.

Comment from: JJUSPS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

BACK IN 2004 REC. RADIATIONCHEMO TREAMENT FOR TONSILLAR CANCER AND SINSE THEN I'VE EXPERIENCE SEVERE MUSCLE CRAMPS IN THE NECK AREA THAT PUTS ME DOWN TO THE GROUND DUE TO THE MUSCLE CRAMPS. THE DOCTOR FEELS ITS DUE TO THE RADIATION CHEMO TREATMENTS AND WILL NOT GET BETTER IT WILL GET WORSE. ANY BODY ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS PROBLEM AFTER RADIATION CHEMO.

Comment from: Happier n Healthier, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

5 years ago, I was given Cipro for an ear infection. I had a severe reaction which was treated improperly. Within 2 months, I developed severe occipital headaches, then severe pain and muscle spasms that became so bad that you could not bend my body. The local hospital and most of the doctors here were convinced that I was crazy or a drug addict. Luckily, I searched out-of-state and found a doctor who is both an M.D. and Holistic. He was able to diagnose me immediately. I'm not cured, but the relief started within 8 days. If you can't get relief, my suggestion is to look for alternative treatments. On the few occasions that I've needed urgent assistance for a spasm since treatment began, an I.V. of "Myer's Cocktail" or just magnesium and potassium will help much faster than any drug and is a lot safer than the narcotics the hospital uses.

Comment from: Jude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Every so often (about once a month) I wake up with horrible spasms in both of lower legs, from anout knee all the way to toes.(in back of legs). I try to smooth or rub them, nothing works. At times it feels it will stay, other times just a few seconds.once it happens, then I have it happen for several nights in a row.

Comment from: leigh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

hi there i'm in a right mess i'm only 33 and have spondylitis or some thing like that of the lower back/sine my back pain has been awful no one knew what it was that wrong with me its been 3yrs now and i'm still suffering i now have muscle spasms at the front of my leg at the top in the night its killer really takes my breath away i'm on lots of pain med have been for 3yrs now i need an operation been told but he wont give it to me till i lost 5stone which is stupid as i cant wait any longer really as the pain is awful and i have another child now she's 1 i was house bound when pregnant to couldn't walk now i can but only so far cant sit for to long cant stand hardly at all really i feel uses less at times cant do what i want to do like go gym ride bike ect i get weakness in my legs to and have to watch what i do with the baby to as when i over do it i really suffer with pain.

Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.