Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms

What was the cause of your muscle spasms?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

My muscle spasms originally started as a reaction to an antipsychotic medication called Haldol. My psychiatrist said that the muscle spasms would cease once my body got used to the medication. However, they continued to persist, and, because of my doctor's reluctance to try me on some other type of antipsychotic, I developed tardive dystonia. My spasms mainly happen in my neck, forcing my neck to go back for long periods of time, which is extremely painful. Occasionally, they happen in my hands and arms. My doctors have told me that my condition is permanent. If my psychiatrist had only listened to me when I told him I was having muscle spasms, the doctor said I could have avoided having this disorder for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Female Published: July 27

My fiancée is 45 years old. She was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Her muscle spasms at night have gotten much worse. She is on tizanidine (Zanaflex). She wakes up very sore and tired from the muscle spasms.

Comment from: Graeme, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I have torturous pains in my back at my shoulder level. This is because I perhaps injured my neck at work, and as a result, have these spasms, sometimes daily and overnight. I use a mixture of paracetamol and codeine in tablet form, but sadly I cannot take them all the time as instructed on the packet. Trying to relieve it with exercise is a waste of time.

Comment from: Tired of pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have been told the pain I am having is muscle spasms in my colon. I have a high tolerance of pain but this is like no pain I have ever felt. It is just like someone lights a match and holds it to my skin. My colon burns so bad and you can"t touch my stomach at all, have had to go to emergency room. If I bend and put any pressure on the colon it makes it worse.

Comment from: james, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I am a diabetic. I also have back problems. I get leg cramps usually at night. The only thing that works for me is to take two or three teaspoons of mustard. I would like to find a solution to the problem.

Comment from: Doris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have been suffering with muscle spasms in all parts of my body for about 5 years or more now. The midriff and back areas are the worst. Yesterday it was my colon, I had to stretch and rest. Sometimes just reaching to the back around causes spasms in my rib and back area; very painful. This does cause me problems when driving. I have to stop the car and stretch. I have been to the doctor several times but with no diagnosis given.

Comment from: Shethom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

After TKR (total knee replacement) I have had really bad muscle spasms behind my knee and in the calf muscles and the thigh. My leg bends and twists in this spasm and I cannot put my foot to the ground; my ankle also swells and I feel it cannot take my body weight to walk.

Comment from: Rooplal, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a Parkinson's sufferer, which means all my muscles are affected. When my leg muscles do not get an adequate and timely supply of oxygenated blood they do not contract and relax as they should. So some muscles stay in the contracted position. This is a spasm.

Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.