Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.

Comment from: jwalker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I experience spasms that make the muscles contract, but also make my arms, legs, and back twitch and jerk, then cramps start in. The pain is so intense, because the cramps don't want to allow me to get up to soothe either of the two. I'm just stuck there in pain till it goes away. It often lasts for several minutes, but sometimes lasts much longer. I've been to several doctors each with a different diagnosis, one said myelopathy, another said maybe ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), and now another has said she's not sure what it could possibly be. I'm just stuck until I go to pain clinic to see another neurologist and find out what they say. If you are suffering like me don't stop looking for the right diagnosis!

Comment from: Cathy Uttke, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had for 3 weeks now, severe spastic nerve pain in the upper thigh, and down in my calf area, so painful I have to get up out of bed and try to massage my pain. It doesn't work all the time. I do a lot of walking, not fast, but the pain makes me jolt. I am very concerned about it. I did have Legge-Calve-Perthes disease, but the pains happen in both legs.

Comment from: stcooper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have fibromyalgia and I feel I have chronic fatigue syndrome. My muscle spasms are in my calves and thighs. Doctors do not understand the intensity. I scream and cry. They last approximately 1 hour. It only happens after I go to bed and put my feet up. It takes approximately 45 minutes for it to start. It happens about once a week now. The only thing that helps is a heating pad and some hot wet wash clothes. You can see the knots and twisting of the ankles and knees.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Two weeks ago my lower back had bad muscle spasm-when I got up or sat down on the chair and also lay on bed, my back had spasm when I moved in bed. It was really hurting when I moved. Now it gets better every day. Other symptom were, last week I reached down the washing machine to pick some lint and my rib popped. Two days later, my rib has muscle spasm and hurts. It gets better every day but my rib still is sore.

Comment from: Judith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My doctor tells me that I am suffering from knee spasms. Sometimes, when squatting to weed the garden or clean the floor, I suddenly get an intense pain in my knee which makes me scream for about 2 seconds; then I manage to move my knee slightly, and the pain disappears. No pain, no stiffness, no inflammation, nothing; until the next time. It seems to be happening in the outer edge of my knee where 2 hard structures meet (ligaments?). It feels to me as though something is dislocated for a couple of seconds.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a bad road traffic accident on the 15th June, 2015 where a very large vehicle hit my car driver's side front end. I suffered a very bad whip lash and about 15 days later I was suffering severe pains in my right cheek of my bottom and towards my back. It came to a point where I couldn't sleep on my right hand side and virtually impossible to walk as this was causing severe pain in my bottom and lower back. My physiotherapist gave me an examination and suggested that I may have a spinal problem, and he sent me straight to hospital where again I was fully examined. I had various x-rays but everything was ok. The consultant said it was muscle spasms due to the accident on the 15th June. They sent me home with some pain killers but I'm in constant pain but no one has told me for how long these spasms are going to last.

Comment from: Katt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a car accident 3 years ago and have been in pain ever since, neck, left shoulder, left elbow and middle finger. The pain in the finger corresponds with a C6-C7 disc protrusion but an MRI shows it's not hitting a nerve. I cannot lie on my left side at all, and can't lift my arm up without awful pain. An MRI just showed some slight bursitis, and it's all driving me half crazy. No specialist can figure out why all this pain. I had steroid injections in to my neck which helped to begin with but they don't work anymore, am going to ask for one in my shoulder though as I cannot bear the pain. My neck and shoulder are on fire.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.