Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Two weeks ago my lower back had bad muscle spasm-when I got up or sat down on the chair and also lay on bed, my back had spasm when I moved in bed. It was really hurting when I moved. Now it gets better every day. Other symptom were, last week I reached down the washing machine to pick some lint and my rib popped. Two days later, my rib has muscle spasm and hurts. It gets better every day but my rib still is sore.

Comment from: Judith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My doctor tells me that I am suffering from knee spasms. Sometimes, when squatting to weed the garden or clean the floor, I suddenly get an intense pain in my knee which makes me scream for about 2 seconds; then I manage to move my knee slightly, and the pain disappears. No pain, no stiffness, no inflammation, nothing; until the next time. It seems to be happening in the outer edge of my knee where 2 hard structures meet (ligaments?). It feels to me as though something is dislocated for a couple of seconds.

Comment from: Misery, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Since I was a child bending over has caused spasms in my abdominal and intercostal muscles. The condition has worsened and now almost every muscle in my body will almost simultaneously cramp. I have developed adult onset asthma and require many hours of sleep but it is interrupted by frequent urination at least once per hour. I am worried that the striated muscle will be next.

Comment from: dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My muscle spasm was in the lower part of my back. I was standing and talking to my husband when it started. It was moderate at first but then became very severe. I could not find any relief for the pain apart from use of hot water bottle and intensive massage. I was in a lot of pain for 4 days.

Comment from: gregb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

My neck is on fire, it burns and hurts awfully. It's been like this for 3 years, plus I have muscle spasm in my neck. My head goes to the right all the time and when I'm driving, working or doing my everyday things, it is like that.

Comment from: Star, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My hand feel tingly, then the spasm goes up my arm to the back muscle.

Comment from: youngster77, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I'm under the impression that I'm far too young for back pain this severe. It's been going on for about 2 years and is slowly getting worse. The muscles on the lower left side of my back are in serious pain. I walk incredibly crooked, can"t run, or stand for long periods of time. Muscle relaxers have helped but I want to go back to normal and go running and feel like a person.

Comment from: mp1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

My muscle spasms give me electric pain from elbow to little finger very quick like when you hit your funny bone.

Comment from: Catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am a childhood onset spastic dystonic. My mother is schizophrenic. I have a form of dystonia that has twisting muscle spasms. I can jump from a deep sleep to excruciating pain and can't even put my foot down it is so twisted. My calf muscles will be sunken in and my hands will twist around. The pain can last from minutes to an hour sometimes before it releases itself. I mention my mother, as she has too much dopamine and maybe I do not make enough. I can't get medical help to address this. Most doctors just want to give muscle relaxants, which do nothing. MY EEG and labs have come back normal, but you can still watch the twisting of the muscles in my arms, feet, legs, and calves. Once in a while, it feels like my throat is restricted. I cry a lot from the pain. I wait for the pain to release and try to get on with life.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.