Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.

Comment from: Nes, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

I have the worst lower back spasm on my right side, it is like a brick. I am on my feet all day at work, and I just missed 3 days of work. It affects my work, my sleep, and my life when it gets so painful. I'm in pain as I'm typing this. I have had physical therapy, and muscle relaxers.

Comment from: jwalker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I experience spasms that make the muscles contract, but also make my arms, legs, and back twitch and jerk, then cramps start in. The pain is so intense, because the cramps don't want to allow me to get up to soothe either of the two. I'm just stuck there in pain till it goes away. It often lasts for several minutes, but sometimes lasts much longer. I've been to several doctors each with a different diagnosis, one said myelopathy, another said maybe ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), and now another has said she's not sure what it could possibly be. I'm just stuck until I go to pain clinic to see another neurologist and find out what they say. If you are suffering like me don't stop looking for the right diagnosis!

Comment from: Cathy Uttke, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had for 3 weeks now, severe spastic nerve pain in the upper thigh, and down in my calf area, so painful I have to get up out of bed and try to massage my pain. It doesn't work all the time. I do a lot of walking, not fast, but the pain makes me jolt. I am very concerned about it. I did have Legge-Calve-Perthes disease, but the pains happen in both legs.

Comment from: stcooper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have fibromyalgia and I feel I have chronic fatigue syndrome. My muscle spasms are in my calves and thighs. Doctors do not understand the intensity. I scream and cry. They last approximately 1 hour. It only happens after I go to bed and put my feet up. It takes approximately 45 minutes for it to start. It happens about once a week now. The only thing that helps is a heating pad and some hot wet wash clothes. You can see the knots and twisting of the ankles and knees.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Two weeks ago my lower back had bad muscle spasm-when I got up or sat down on the chair and also lay on bed, my back had spasm when I moved in bed. It was really hurting when I moved. Now it gets better every day. Other symptom were, last week I reached down the washing machine to pick some lint and my rib popped. Two days later, my rib has muscle spasm and hurts. It gets better every day but my rib still is sore.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I'm in constant pain because I have cervical dystonia, and lumbar facet joint deterioration. The muscles in my spinal column have weakened because of long use of opioids and now my balance is worse and I am having really bad muscle spasms from my neck to feet, and it is getting worse every.

Comment from: BC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have muscle spasms in toes and feet, I also have them in the intestine in upper diaphragm under the heart! It is very painful, but it doesn't happen a lot. I've had so many tests and found nothing. Irritable bowel syndrome is what is listed if they can't figure out what it is going on. I still have to live with my symptoms. I do take probiotics.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.