Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.

Comment from: uzomah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I recently was diagnosed with having deteriorating rotator cuffs in both shoulders. I started having the most excruciating pain in my left shoulder, which almost feels like a childbirth muscle contraction. This pain radiates from the base of my neck to my shoulder and down to my middle fingertip and lasts for about 45-60 seconds. I went to my doctor after having difficulty gaining relief from these muscle spasms. My primary care physician referred me to an orthopedist and I had a series of steroidal injections. My specialist retired, and finding a suitable specialist is difficult. Today, my doctor prescribed Prednisone for 12 days and Methocarbomol (for the spasms). I have an appointment for a steroid injection on in a few days. I've never been in so much pain in my arm. I'm concerned about the cause of these symptoms. X-rays reveal arthritis in my shoulder. I plan to meet with my doctor(s) to provide additional info about this painful condition. Whatever I need to do, I plan to make the best decision to take care of this problem. I am open to any information about this type of pain and descriptions of similar problems. The pain is interrupting my life. Nothing relieves it beyond a few minutes. I am going to continue with acupuncture, laser, ultrasounds, and deep massage. I'll continue to see my physical therapist, who supports all therapy with Chinese herb. I'll give those a chance along with the other methods. I'll also continue to pray, ice, and take it easy. I'm sure there are some lessons I can learn from this experience. .

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have a severe pain in my left thigh it gets so sore it would make me cry.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I started having spasms and pain on my lower back 4 days ago and it is getting worse, mostly on the left side.

Comment from: Terry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a sudden spasm of the inner aspect of my lower arm and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger of my hand, it lasted only about 10 seconds. I was driving the car and had lifted my arm and moved my lower arm backwards to pick up something beside me.

Comment from: judy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am a 78 year old woman. I am awakened some mornings by muscle spasms in my calves that are quite severe.I am on several heart meds as I suffered a heart attack 20 years ago, but my health is very good now.

Comment from: lynne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had back/shoulder spasms for over a year. I got some relief by going to acupuncture therapy for a very long time. I stopped because of the money, and now it is worse than ever. Physical therapy only made this matter worse. I hate this. Surely, someone knows something.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have a muscle spasm in my left shoulder blade. My doctor said it was a muscle spasm. She prescribed Vicodin, which I have been taking for three days, and it hasn't let up yet. Can the spasm last longer than a week?

Comment from: wan, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

I get muscle spasms in my legs mostly, and Charlie-horses in my calves, since I had back surgery for a herniated disc that burst caused from a car accident.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.