Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.

Comment from: chuck25669, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have muscle spasms in chest, arm and neck.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a bad road traffic accident on the 15th June, 2015 where a very large vehicle hit my car driver's side front end. I suffered a very bad whip lash and about 15 days later I was suffering severe pains in my right cheek of my bottom and towards my back. It came to a point where I couldn't sleep on my right hand side and virtually impossible to walk as this was causing severe pain in my bottom and lower back. My physiotherapist gave me an examination and suggested that I may have a spinal problem, and he sent me straight to hospital where again I was fully examined. I had various x-rays but everything was ok. The consultant said it was muscle spasms due to the accident on the 15th June. They sent me home with some pain killers but I'm in constant pain but no one has told me for how long these spasms are going to last.

Comment from: Judith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My doctor tells me that I am suffering from knee spasms. Sometimes, when squatting to weed the garden or clean the floor, I suddenly get an intense pain in my knee which makes me scream for about 2 seconds; then I manage to move my knee slightly, and the pain disappears. No pain, no stiffness, no inflammation, nothing; until the next time. It seems to be happening in the outer edge of my knee where 2 hard structures meet (ligaments?). It feels to me as though something is dislocated for a couple of seconds.

Comment from: Misery, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Since I was a child bending over has caused spasms in my abdominal and intercostal muscles. The condition has worsened and now almost every muscle in my body will almost simultaneously cramp. I have developed adult onset asthma and require many hours of sleep but it is interrupted by frequent urination at least once per hour. I am worried that the striated muscle will be next.

Comment from: dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My muscle spasm was in the lower part of my back. I was standing and talking to my husband when it started. It was moderate at first but then became very severe. I could not find any relief for the pain apart from use of hot water bottle and intensive massage. I was in a lot of pain for 4 days.

Comment from: Katt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a car accident 3 years ago and have been in pain ever since, neck, left shoulder, left elbow and middle finger. The pain in the finger corresponds with a C6-C7 disc protrusion but an MRI shows it's not hitting a nerve. I cannot lie on my left side at all, and can't lift my arm up without awful pain. An MRI just showed some slight bursitis, and it's all driving me half crazy. No specialist can figure out why all this pain. I had steroid injections in to my neck which helped to begin with but they don't work anymore, am going to ask for one in my shoulder though as I cannot bear the pain. My neck and shoulder are on fire.

Comment from: bull city kid, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have body spasms at night, they start when I am resting and during sleep. They can be very aggressive causing my neck, arms and legs to jerk sometimes waking me up.

Comment from: countrypatsy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

Muscle spasms, I have them at night too. I have found out that most of the spasms are from having too much potassium in my body, and I inherited that from my father. So I have to watch what I eat. Some people who don't have enough potassium in their bodies, they have to eat bananas, or they will have cramps all over their bodies. I get the opposite if I eat something that has a great quantity of potassium, then my body has painful spasms leaving me withering in pain, and my body will be distorted from the muscle spasms. So I have to read labels carefully.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.