Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.

Comment from: julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have muscle spasms in my groin and lower back, I have very bad scoliosis.

Comment from: bull city kid, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have body spasms at night, they start when I am resting and during sleep. They can be very aggressive causing my neck, arms and legs to jerk sometimes waking me up.

Comment from: Misery, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Since I was a child bending over has caused spasms in my abdominal and intercostal muscles. The condition has worsened and now almost every muscle in my body will almost simultaneously cramp. I have developed adult onset asthma and require many hours of sleep but it is interrupted by frequent urination at least once per hour. I am worried that the striated muscle will be next.

Comment from: dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My muscle spasm was in the lower part of my back. I was standing and talking to my husband when it started. It was moderate at first but then became very severe. I could not find any relief for the pain apart from use of hot water bottle and intensive massage. I was in a lot of pain for 4 days.

Comment from: countrypatsy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

Muscle spasms, I have them at night too. I have found out that most of the spasms are from having too much potassium in my body, and I inherited that from my father. So I have to watch what I eat. Some people who don't have enough potassium in their bodies, they have to eat bananas, or they will have cramps all over their bodies. I get the opposite if I eat something that has a great quantity of potassium, then my body has painful spasms leaving me withering in pain, and my body will be distorted from the muscle spasms. So I have to read labels carefully.

Comment from: gregb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

My neck is on fire, it burns and hurts awfully. It's been like this for 3 years, plus I have muscle spasm in my neck. My head goes to the right all the time and when I'm driving, working or doing my everyday things, it is like that.

Comment from: youngster77, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I'm under the impression that I'm far too young for back pain this severe. It's been going on for about 2 years and is slowly getting worse. The muscles on the lower left side of my back are in serious pain. I walk incredibly crooked, can"t run, or stand for long periods of time. Muscle relaxers have helped but I want to go back to normal and go running and feel like a person.

Comment from: Catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am a childhood onset spastic dystonic. My mother is schizophrenic. I have a form of dystonia that has twisting muscle spasms. I can jump from a deep sleep to excruciating pain and can't even put my foot down it is so twisted. My calf muscles will be sunken in and my hands will twist around. The pain can last from minutes to an hour sometimes before it releases itself. I mention my mother, as she has too much dopamine and maybe I do not make enough. I can't get medical help to address this. Most doctors just want to give muscle relaxants, which do nothing. MY EEG and labs have come back normal, but you can still watch the twisting of the muscles in my arms, feet, legs, and calves. Once in a while, it feels like my throat is restricted. I cry a lot from the pain. I wait for the pain to release and try to get on with life.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Experience Question: Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.