Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Experience

Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.

Comment from: American girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had Charlie horses, stomach cramps and trigger finger but I am wanting to know what these leg cramps are. Mostly in the evening, even before I fall asleep, my legs spasm out of control and jerk back and forth. They draw up, kick out and hurt. I cannot be still if I try. Sometimes my legs will kick up in the air, in quick repetitive motions, as well as make my knee bend and quickly burst back out. My husband says at night it continues. I do not notice it at night but if I sit for long periods of time, say 30 to 40 minutes, my legs begin their dancing painful routine. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I have trouble walking at times in terms of getting my body ready to move.

Comment from: Ruthie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for several years. Over time the attacks have crept up even into my face and hair. When I was 19 I fell into a sitting position while skating. I felt like my spine went through my head. In 1989 I had a neck injury suffering whiplash for 20 years. I can hear the bones of my spine grinding. Now the RLS suddenly attacks. When I get the least bit stressed my body goes into muscle spasms. I tremble. My muscles used to jerk me into fetal position. They still jerk but not as severely since I had surgery, radiofrequency lesioning (RFL) to my neck in 2010. Sweet relief to my neck and from seizure-like spells, but for my lower spine I am just now getting treatment for multiple bulges and multiple spurs. A muscle relaxer that was prescribed to me has helped me so much. No more waking with burning feet, legs flying in the air or the fiberglass feeling all over my scalp or the burning sensation in my skin. Gabapentin is not effective any more. I have taken it for years. Tizanidine has eased the spasms. Pain I've had for years and have learned to live with it. Any new pain is very notable though. I have radiculopathy, cervical and lumbar. Neurologist is a must!

Comment from: peetie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 17

I have frequent muscle cramping in my toes, the balls and arches of my feet, in my calves, my upper back, the backs of my thighs, and in my sides. It is very painful and I had to stop my yoga because of it.

Comment from: Ktrim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

My spasms are scoliosis related we think. I have had the pain for several years and no one is sure it's my curved spine or not. The pain is sharp, stabbing like a knife. It doesn't go away at all. I am on short term disability from my job as I can't even sit for any length of time more than 5 minutes. I have been fitted with a brace that's fairly new. It's called the spine or brace. I am in my 7th week of wearing it, and until now the brace seemed to take the pain way down. As of a few days ago, with the brace on, the pain is horrible.

Comment from: Retta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome and have had severe pain from buttocks down back of both legs and behind knees. I have been to bone doctors and spinal doctors. I have been stretched three times, tried electrodes, exercise, walking, working out at gym, and still have this pain. I have tried steroid, cortisone, muscle relaxers and I am still have muscle spasms in both legs. I don't know if there is a cure for this. I have always been very active with working out and working in flowers, etc.

Comment from: KLindvig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have suffered from leg muscle spasms up and down both legs off and on all my life. About 5 years ago I discovered a product called Spascupreel. One tablet under your tongue stops the cramp within 5 to 10 minutes. Before I discovered that, I would use a product called Calm that is a powdered magnesium that you mix with juice and drink as soon as the fizz stops. I mix up a bottle of it with juice and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days and just take about 6 oz. when needed. It works almost immediately for the worst cramps.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.