Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Experience

Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.

Comment from: mayor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have lupus, fibromyalgia, coronary artery disease (CAD) and am currently taking shots in my back for S1 joint and facet inflammation. I have severe muscle cramps everywhere. Nothing seems to start them but sometimes I can"t walk for the pain in the bottom of feet is so bad, I have slept only very little the past couple of nights as the cramps are turning my toes backwards and my ankles cramp so bad I cannot walk. Nothing relieves them but time. I am on heart medicine but they want me to get off all pain medication and try to live on Tylenol. I don't know what is causing these cramps. I get them when I drive to the point I have to pull over. When I shop my hands will cramp so bad I can"t push the cart. All the doctors just shrug their shoulders.

Comment from: helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have had spinal reconstruction and I am diabetic, I am having muscle spasms in my body from my chest down and in my feet and legs. They are really a pain and my doctor is treating me but nothing is helping, I just wonder if we are overlooking something, my labs are good except my vitamin D level was low, I was put on vitamin D. My fingers even draw up at times.

Comment from: all, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had leg and thigh cramps off and on for several years, sometimes waking me up in the middle of the night. I find taking a calcium/magnesium/vitamin D combination supplement helps. If I miss taking the supplements for 1 or 2 days, I am almost sure to get the cramps back. Massaging the cramped area also helps to get rid of the cramps faster.

Comment from: rmallergies, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have suffered with muscle cramps for 12 years. I went to a chiropractor that told me I was poisoning my muscles. I did not believe him. Now I have been diagnosed with chemical allergies. I have to be extremely careful what I use for my hair, lotion, soap, etc. Once in a while I encounter something that will cause my back and leg muscles to cramp and I take Valium, Flexeril, pain medications, etc.

Comment from: bobbij, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had muscle cramps over the years, such as the big toe cramping that is pretty bad, but just walked it off. But lately I have had severe muscles cramps in my thighs that are very severe. In fact I passed out for a few seconds from the pain. I also noticed that my muscle was a rigid line that protruded for a few minutes.

Comment from: Janene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been using carisoprodol off and on for a year now. I started taking the drug for muscle spasms but found another use for it. I"ve had RLS (restless leg syndrome) since I was a child. I have a lot wrong with my body and bones but the RLS has altered my life more than anything. I have tried all the new Parkinson's drugs and anything and everything they thought might help. Nothing helped. I finally realized that the RLS was better when I took carisoprodol.

Comment from: Samrose, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have smooth muscle spasm syndrome (according to my doctor) and have had problems with spasms in my coronary artery, gullet, stomach, bowel and bladder. Having been treated with drugs for many years to alleviate individual symptoms without success, I have found relief taking a daily supplement of 800mg of magnesium keeps me pain free. I have been able to reduce several medications which is great. However if I miss one capsule of the magnesium I am in pain again.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.