Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Experience

Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.

Comment from: Buyman66, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been experiencing spasms in my pelvic region for about 3 years. They are debilitating, as I am unable to continue walking when the spasms hit. I had surgery to remove tumors from my spine in February of 2013, but as time goes by, the spasms have returned to pre operation severity. I have been to multiple doctors had many MRIs, x-rays and I believe a CT scan. With the exception of finding the tumors in the spine resulting in the surgery, nothing else has been found that could be causing the spasms. Nerves look good spine looks good but still having these spasms. Not sure where to turn to now.

Comment from: Jenny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been suffering from spasm for many years, it is very painful and lots of sleepless nights. It happens after sitting for too long at work or just after dancing when I am ready to go to sleep or while I am sleeping. I wish sometimes to be dead than continue suffering from this condition, I find myself without energy. It is very, very painful.

Comment from: white MRS, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I was in bed when it occurred at night. I had a tightening of the muscles in both my calves. They were stiff, hard and painful. I could not move my legs.

Comment from: angella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have this pain in the side off my lower back, it hurts so much I can't even bend to tie my shoe laces. My doctor has put me on Lyrica but is does not work.

Comment from: borriguero, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I fell about 6 to 8 feet from a tree and landed on soft ground with left side elbow and rib cage absorbing most of the impact with the wind knocked out of me. I recovered breathing in a few minutes and felt no ill effects other than pain in the left rib cage. X-rays rule out broken bones but there is severe pain in the left rib cage. Tylex 750 mg and Mobicox (meloxicam) 15 mg are not helping. It feels like severe external muscle spasms on the outer left rib cage.

Comment from: phil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

My muscle spasms happen if I tighten up any muscle in my body, I think I have some kind of disease and don't know what to do. If I flex any muscle, or even when just moving, it gets cramped and goes into spasms; my legs, hands, back, feet, stomach, neck, jaw I mean all over. It's very painful.

Comment from: Hartz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I suffer from muscle spasms resulting from a car accident. The two main areas are the neck and lower lumbar (back) . They last several days after an onset. Usually physio helps with alleviating the pain, but it can be costly and time consuming.

Comment from: dahlia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had severe pain in my shoulder and neck, radiating down my arm. I have taken muscle relaxants and rubs, but nothing seems to work. I feel like I've run out of options.

Comment from: Exhausted, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

After three years and a battery of tests I've been diagnosed, finally, with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), celiac, serious osteoporosis (lumbar spine) and 15 different allergies. I've received treatments for all except the CFS, because, so far, I've been allergic to the medications. However, for the past five weeks, I've had chronic occipital muscle spasms from my shoulder to behind my ear and neck. My MRI was "perfectly normal," according to my doctor, but the spasms are spreading and getting worse. When I lifted my laptop, I got a sharp, surging spasm in my neck. Also, I have intermittent weakness on my right side for about two years. Physical therapy can only do so much and muscle relaxers make me sleepy or anxious. I've tried hot and cold compresses, too. I'm tired of not getting answers.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.