Patient Comments: Muscle Spasms - Experience

Where were your muscle spasms, and please describe your experience.

Comment from: theresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have very painful muscle spasms after knee replacement, behind my knee and calf when bending the knee.

Comment from: Emily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

For 12 years I suffered from massive muscle cramps in my legs and feet and occasionally in my middle back. I found my answer after demanding every tests possible. Every disk in my middle back (thoracic back) is herniated. This is where our central nervous systems lives and nothing can be done to correct it without risking death. So I take muscle relaxants. Without them I scream in pain. With them I am sleepy and dopy. I'll take sleepy and dopy any day. I would like a normal life back but that will never happen. At least I know why and now my doctor knows I need the prescriptions and I'm not faking it or pretending it's worse than it really is. He knows my suffering is real. No vitamins, no magnesium, no massage therapy, etc., will ever help. I hope my answer helps others find their answers.

Comment from: carrie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Early morning 2 am I always experience muscle spasms. I struggle to move even an inch to wake up for bathroom. My neck stiffens so bad I fell like the brain doesn't belong to me. I tried several strong pain killers but they just make me drowsy but the neck pain still there.

Comment from: mayor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have lupus, fibromyalgia, coronary artery disease (CAD) and am currently taking shots in my back for S1 joint and facet inflammation. I have severe muscle cramps everywhere. Nothing seems to start them but sometimes I can"t walk for the pain in the bottom of feet is so bad, I have slept only very little the past couple of nights as the cramps are turning my toes backwards and my ankles cramp so bad I cannot walk. Nothing relieves them but time. I am on heart medicine but they want me to get off all pain medication and try to live on Tylenol. I don't know what is causing these cramps. I get them when I drive to the point I have to pull over. When I shop my hands will cramp so bad I can"t push the cart. All the doctors just shrug their shoulders.

Comment from: helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have had spinal reconstruction and I am diabetic, I am having muscle spasms in my body from my chest down and in my feet and legs. They are really a pain and my doctor is treating me but nothing is helping, I just wonder if we are overlooking something, my labs are good except my vitamin D level was low, I was put on vitamin D. My fingers even draw up at times.

Comment from: all, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had leg and thigh cramps off and on for several years, sometimes waking me up in the middle of the night. I find taking a calcium/magnesium/vitamin D combination supplement helps. If I miss taking the supplements for 1 or 2 days, I am almost sure to get the cramps back. Massaging the cramped area also helps to get rid of the cramps faster.

Comment from: rmallergies, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have suffered with muscle cramps for 12 years. I went to a chiropractor that told me I was poisoning my muscles. I did not believe him. Now I have been diagnosed with chemical allergies. I have to be extremely careful what I use for my hair, lotion, soap, etc. Once in a while I encounter something that will cause my back and leg muscles to cramp and I take Valium, Flexeril, pain medications, etc.

Comment from: bobbij, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had muscle cramps over the years, such as the big toe cramping that is pretty bad, but just walked it off. But lately I have had severe muscles cramps in my thighs that are very severe. In fact I passed out for a few seconds from the pain. I also noticed that my muscle was a rigid line that protruded for a few minutes.

Muscle Spasms - Cause of Spasms Question: What was the cause of your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Treatments Question: What treatment did you use for your muscle spasms?
Muscle Spasms - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your muscle spasms.