Patient Comments: Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle pain?

Comment from: nana, 35-44 (Patient) Published: January 30

For the last year I have been suffering from pain around my scapula, rhomboids, pectoral and deltoid muscles or area. The pain is so unbearable sometimes that I wish someone can knock me out. I haven't been able to work in my field since it started a year ago. Sometimes I can't drive or brush my hair. It is debilitating and I'm tired all the time because I can't sleep. Today, I was diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome, it won't be cured but I know that with regular massage, physical therapy and medication the symptoms will be controlled. Those were the only things that helped me for the past year.

Comment from: Joann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I believe my myofascial pain syndrome was caused by Ramsey Hunt syndrome. Little is known about the cause and effect of Ramsey Hunt Syndrome. Only one doctor I have had, had any contact with a patient who had Ramsey Hunt Syndrome and most know very little. The spasm to the left side muscle extending below my left ear to my collar bone worsens as time goes by. Cyclobenzaprine does ease the spasms.

Comment from: In A LOT of pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have had pelvic floor muscle pain for more than a year now, and the pain has been life-altering. I am very limited with my daily activities; my whole world has been turned upside down. The only relief I have found thus far is heavy amounts of pain meds. Physical therapy didn't work after months of trying.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I went to a Rheumatologist at the University of Virginia and was told I do NOT have RA, fibromyalgia or lupus. It might be myositis. At any rate it is always an underlying presence but sometimes flares up causing a more severe pain. Celebrex helps, but I have high blood pressure so I began exploring for other remedies. After 5 years and much $$$, I finally found something that helps: Boswellia, Ginger, and Bromelain. I take a large dose in the morning, mid-sized dose in the afternoon, and a rather small dose at night. Of course, I still wake up in pain, barely able to walk - but at least I get relief once the "meds" set in. Being out of pain seems to give me more energy! I hope this info is useful to someone out there.

Comment from: lonewolf, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I get severe pain in the shoulder when I throw a ball or anything. This pain lasts for about a minute then goes away after I massage my shoulder. I am 64 years old and in fairly good shape. I believe this condition came about when I was shoveling snow last winter and sprained my elbow from the repetitive motions. This elbow injury slowly became a shoulder problem.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have chronic myofascial pain. At age 20, I had TMJ surgery, which I thought took care of the TMJ. 27 years later, I've just discovered that my neck and facial pain is still related to my jaw issue. Luckily I've found a wonderful myofascial release therapists that is helping me tremendously!!!! And, my orthopedist gave me a prescription for myofascial release therapy and my insurance is covering it!!! Yeah!!!!! There IS hope for myofascial pain!!!!

Comment from: Susan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I suffered from years of childhood abuse and because of the trauma, I sleep in a more tightly curled up fetal position which has caused myofascial pain syndrome of the abdominal and back muscles. I've tried physio and hydrotherapy. The best things that help are trigger point injections, osteopathy and some stretches.

Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?