Patient Comments: Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?

Comment from: Jooloo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have gone from barely walking and in the most intense pain (myofascial pain syndrome), including hospitalization for suspected kidney stones to living a more or less normal life in 3 years. Yes, I still suffer constant pain however it is now manageable. Firstly I had a series of around 20 trigger point injections with a steroid and local anesthetic mixture. Then a regime of wet cupping and trigger point pressing was introduced. Then came the cross trainer and walking in the pool, in a year I have progressed slowly from 4 lengths of an 18 m pool to 14, and 20 seconds on cross trainer to 16 minutes. Along with pregabalin and amitriptyline with paracetamol and heat packs when necessary, things are under control. My biggest tip is to make gentle repetitive movement the most normal thing in your life, as the last thing I wanted to be told was that I had to exercise, but it has changed my life. Though some days I wonder if soaking in the Jacuzzi after the pool walking does more good than the exercise!

Comment from: Meredith M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Great to see more sites on chronic myofascial pain (CMP) or myofascial pain syndrome (MPS). I"ve had it most of my life and only recently got an accurate diagnosis. An early injury to the neck and shoulders, during a traumatic accident involving a fatality, never healed properly. Surgery is not an option. My neck and shoulder get triggered usually by barometric pressure drop, and temperature drops from low pressure system. Chiropractic and myofascial trigger point treatments, anti-inflammatory diet, no dairy or gluten, and low histamine diet ease severity. I"ve learned not to exercise at all in acute phase, allow 2 weeks once trigger points are no longer active before resuming gentle Yoga, and swimming. As lymph system doesn"t drain when my neck is inked, I use Benadryl to reduce swelling, guaifenesin and muscle relaxant, anti-histamine and over the counter pain medications. For me the physical release from adjustments with myofascial trigger point therapy and neuromuscular therapy works best to manage the chronic condition.

Comment from: Frankovich, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

Physical therapy has been the best solution for me at the moment for my muscle pain. Get a good stretching program from you doctor or therapist. Keep good posture. My neck pain is better, and my pain in my face is some what relived. Also, sleeping aids and anti-depressants have helped me. I also use Xanax to get the edge off. I was on pain meds for six months. I don't suggest that; it causes addiction and drowsiness. It's not worth it. Heat helps too. Take hot showers, use heating pads, saunas and Jacuzzis. Chiropractors and massage therapists helped some too. As of right now, trigger point therapy has not helped me, but I only have only had one treatment. Keeping my stress under control is one of the biggest factors. I try not to clench my teeth and keep my face from being taunt. Stay away from stimulants such as tobacco and caffeine. Alcohol is also very bad because it dries the muscles and makes me feel like crap. Keep a positive attitude even though life is very difficult with this condition. Drink lots of water.

Comment from: Blue Ice, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I've been getting muscle pain since I was 14. I've been diagnosed with having OCD since I was 9, and Schizoaffective Disorder at 17. If there is any correlation, I'm 40 now, and now my back hurts, and I get sudden pains, and then just muscle pain in my chest, shoulders, arms, back, and upper legs, for what seems no reason at all. I tried stretching and exercise for muscle imbalances, and my own effort to massage all the points where I have pain, in case they are trigger points. My back has really let up, and my leg seems a lot better from hurting me for a year, after what seems nothing at all to cause it. I took Advil, and Tylenol, but am now looking forward to trying Aleve (Naproxen) over the counter now that it's available in Canada. Over all, it's a real pain in the butt to have always some kind of muscle pain or strain somewhere even to a point where I can barely move, and a movement, sudden or not, can cause unbearable pain that I yell. It's a good thing that a high threshold for pain helps. I find one anti-inflamation drug will help one part of me, but not another part. Anyway, Naproxen for me soon.

Comment from: Aimsters, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have suffered from this type of muscle pain for four years now after my vehicle was hit head on by a much larger vehicle. I did physical therapy for a while, but he told me that there was nothing more he could do for me, as I was getting worse. A couple of years before the accident, I was diagnosed with cervical spurs, C 6/7 that were giving me problems. I still get muscle cramps, buzzing sensations, and deep aches all over my body, but the pain has calmed down compared to the excruciating pain and misery I endured for the first two years following the motor vehicle accident. I take high doses of nortriptyline and gabapentin at night to sleep, more gabapentin in the morning along with cymbalta for the depression this type of constant pain causes, and more gabapentin in the afternoon if I need it. I attend massage therapy only once a month now because of the expense, and do water exercises such as water walking, water running, and stretching swimming motions for only about 20 minutes at a time or I get debilitating muscle cramps in my toes, feet, legs, mid-back, and thighs. I am not improving, and now I am plagued by headaches as well. I try not to stress myself physically or mentally. I would take opiates at this point, but I don't think my doctor would prescribe these for me because of their potential to be habit-forming. It is the longevity of the pain and discomfort that is wearing me down. The quality of my life in every respect has been affected negatively by this condition. This is more than just a drag!

Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle pain?