Patient Comments: Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?

Comment from: momto2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was in an auto accident a year ago. I am still in treatment. I have pain in jaw, neck, shoulder, hips, and calves. It took a while but now they are diagnosing it as myofascial pain syndrome. I have tried physiotherapy for 8 months and now am starting therapeutic massage and water therapy. I feel for everyone who has this. I did have migraines but was put on a drug called Keppra and they have vanished. I also checked my eyeglass prescription. Sometimes you have to just keep on keeping on until you find what works for you.

Comment from: Aj, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I just wanted to share some of the aids that I rub on. They are used for muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome). One is called Absorbine Jr. Plus, this is just a liquid you rub on. Then the other one is Village Naturals Therapy muscle relief lotion (for aches and pains). I work with pain management to do trigger point injections. I have tried lidocaine infusion also. I stretch, do cardio, and take baths. In the baths I do Epsom salt, and Village Naturals Therapy for stress and aches and pains. For the headaches I am scheduled to try Botox injections.

Comment from: Jooloo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have gone from barely walking and in the most intense pain (myofascial pain syndrome), including hospitalization for suspected kidney stones to living a more or less normal life in 3 years. Yes, I still suffer constant pain however it is now manageable. Firstly I had a series of around 20 trigger point injections with a steroid and local anesthetic mixture. Then a regime of wet cupping and trigger point pressing was introduced. Then came the cross trainer and walking in the pool, in a year I have progressed slowly from 4 lengths of an 18 m pool to 14, and 20 seconds on cross trainer to 16 minutes. Along with pregabalin and amitriptyline with paracetamol and heat packs when necessary, things are under control. My biggest tip is to make gentle repetitive movement the most normal thing in your life, as the last thing I wanted to be told was that I had to exercise, but it has changed my life. Though some days I wonder if soaking in the Jacuzzi after the pool walking does more good than the exercise!

Comment from: Meredith M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Great to see more sites on chronic myofascial pain (CMP) or myofascial pain syndrome (MPS). I"ve had it most of my life and only recently got an accurate diagnosis. An early injury to the neck and shoulders, during a traumatic accident involving a fatality, never healed properly. Surgery is not an option. My neck and shoulder get triggered usually by barometric pressure drop, and temperature drops from low pressure system. Chiropractic and myofascial trigger point treatments, anti-inflammatory diet, no dairy or gluten, and low histamine diet ease severity. I"ve learned not to exercise at all in acute phase, allow 2 weeks once trigger points are no longer active before resuming gentle Yoga, and swimming. As lymph system doesn"t drain when my neck is inked, I use Benadryl to reduce swelling, guaifenesin and muscle relaxant, anti-histamine and over the counter pain medications. For me the physical release from adjustments with myofascial trigger point therapy and neuromuscular therapy works best to manage the chronic condition.

Comment from: Frankovich, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

Physical therapy has been the best solution for me at the moment for my muscle pain. Get a good stretching program from you doctor or therapist. Keep good posture. My neck pain is better, and my pain in my face is some what relived. Also, sleeping aids and anti-depressants have helped me. I also use Xanax to get the edge off. I was on pain meds for six months. I don't suggest that; it causes addiction and drowsiness. It's not worth it. Heat helps too. Take hot showers, use heating pads, saunas and Jacuzzis. Chiropractors and massage therapists helped some too. As of right now, trigger point therapy has not helped me, but I only have only had one treatment. Keeping my stress under control is one of the biggest factors. I try not to clench my teeth and keep my face from being taunt. Stay away from stimulants such as tobacco and caffeine. Alcohol is also very bad because it dries the muscles and makes me feel like crap. Keep a positive attitude even though life is very difficult with this condition. Drink lots of water.

Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle pain?