Patient Comments: Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?

Comment from: hersheykiss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I live in Asheville, NC, and we have a myofascial therapy center here. My doctor referred me there. They work on the areas you have pain. It's gentle applied hands-on therapy. I may be sore the next day, but it really helps. I have a problem with trusting people to touch my neck and shoulders. I am still working on that. My therapist helps me to relax with gentle pressure in other areas where I have pain then, works on my neck and shoulders. By then, I have relaxed considerably. My therapist can also work out the area in the back of my head where my head is throbbing. It's not complete relief but some. If you have migraines like I do, you know that some relief is a blessing.

Comment from: chasdwitt, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

I just found out about myofascial pain after several doctor visits and cortisone injections, massages, and pain meds. It always comes back, in the same spot and in varying intensities.

Comment from: Katmandu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have had myofascial pain all my life but it was only definitively diagnosed in 2004 when I was 55. Very discouraging. I started taking 50 mgs of Lyrica and it helps but not more than 10 hours at which point I feel like I was run over by a truck all over again from the waist up. Very distracting mentally and very immobilizing. I have tried exercising but Tai Chi seems to be the best exercise. It sooths my soul as well as my body. But again the relief doesn't last. I have learned to embrace the pain which helps as long as the pain doesn't control me.

Comment from: CB, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Yoga! It is therapeutic and I can't live without it. It was so hard at first, causing more pain than I already had, but after a year of doing it, it actually takes some of my pain away.

Comment from: Daphnexduck, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have found two foods that trigger my muscle pain: rice and corn. I suggest going on a food elimination diet to see if something you're eating might be a cause of your muscle pain.Eliminating rice got rid of all the pains in my arms and legs, and even my back pain. Two forkfulls of rice is enough to bring my aches back. I've been eating more corn lately, and the aches came back. That was very scary since regular pain pills don't do much, and the pain doesn't let me sleep. I stopped eating corn for two days, and woke up feeling great this morning!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

For six months I've had muscle pain in my back. I hurt my self at work lifting some thing heavy. Now they say I have muscle in my back that won't release. I'm in consent pain. Can't walk, sit, or stand for long. They say some day it will they just don't know when.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have used trigger point therapy for years. Basically, it's applying deep pressure to the trigger points. It helps break them up. Of course, I always hurt worse before I feel better, but once I do feel better, I am much looser and in a lot less pain. Today is the first time I've found anything on myofascial pain. I've had it for decades and am covered in trigger points from head to toe. I am surprised that the info. I found says nothing about acupressure. It is very effective and is a treatment one can perform on themselves with theracane, which range in price from $28 - $45. This way you can find the trigger points in your back and neck and work them out, applying the amount of pressure you can tolerate.

Comment from: Vinbiff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

Due to numerous pains particularly in legs and neck I stopped taking DIOVAN Valsartan capsules (160mg) being taken for high blood pressure. The pains just disappeared. Previously I have also had very bad pains that were being caused by Statins being taken for cholesterol. Currently I do not take any medication for the above and my doctor is now very concerned that the medications may have caused muscle degeneration and has requested future blood tests to see if the "Serum Creatine" levels improve. Last reading was 323 where the normality is between 60 - 80 (UK readings)

Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle pain?