Patient Comments: Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 26

I have recently been successfully treated for polymyalgia rheumatica by "autologous stem cell therapy here in the Republic of Panama." No moral arguments because the stem cells were removed from my adipose tissue, separated in the lab and then reinfected into my body no problems with using other person's stem cells there was no rejection. Within three months the serious pain which had me bed ridden for about eight months is now gone. Good luck by the way, stem cell therapy here is done by American trained doctors and is much cheaper than anywhere else.

Comment from: Molly2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I finally gave up on everything that wasn't working and found a board-certified myofascial trigger point therapist. MyoRehab in Albuquerque, NM, has given be my life back. I had locked down muscles pulling ribs out of place in my back and at my sternum. Finally, all that is gone. I maintain with constant stretches throughout the day and an occasional trip back to MyoRehab for a tuneup. What a relief! I can't believe I suffered for eight years. There was hardly a muscle in my body that was not locked down. I'm getting back to living.

Comment from: feelingbetter, (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had recurring myofascial pain in the upper back and neck for many years. I've been told that it is due to poor posture and sitting at the computer all day. Things that have worked the most for me include capsaicin creme applied to the painful area. I think it works by masking the pain and also bringing more blood into the area. The capsaicin itself is pretty uncomfortable, but it is better than the underlying pain. The other thing that has helped is physical therapy to strengthen the affected area. It has taken time, but I think it is working. I have also used chiropractic adjustment, acupuncture (with and without electricity), massage, cupping, self-acupressure with Thera Cane, OTC pain relievers, and TENS. I think TENS might have helped more if I had a stronger home unit, but the one they gave me was too weak to be of much help.

Comment from: Female Published: August 24

I have suffered from myofascial pain for about four years now. For me, there was no easy solution, but many solutions together have helped. I had to stop taking Adderall and caffeine- containing beverages, as these definitely made the pain worse. I finally found a pain physician who knows how to give a trigger-point injection. You will know if the injection is in the right spot because your muscle will "jump" from the injection. These injections can get rid of trigger points completely, but then other triggers points in other muscles may express themselves. This is more likely if you have had the pain a long time. The best book on trigger points by far is written by Clare Davies. I also have a neuromuscular therapist who works on the trigger points once they have been injected to make sure they are completely gone. Finally, I have found significant relief with a tricyclic antidepressant called nortriptyline at a dose of 75 mg per night. The side effects can be bad such as constipation, loss of sexual desire and weight gain due to craving sweets and increased hunger. If you can hang in there with this drug, sometimes the side effects lessen with time. I managed not to gain weight on nortriptyline because I refused to eat more. For all its side effects, this drug is the best one by far for this type of pain relief. I have stuck with it because it is one of the few that works. Finally, I have a TENS unit. When I first got it, it helped by masking the pain. After I had the TENs unit for a while, the company sent me bigger patches that were capable of a lot more electrical stimulation. In the "modulation" mode, I set it high enough to cause muscle contractions. Wearing this for several hours appears to have a lasting effect on getting rid of the trigger point. Static body positions, such as typing all day, were really bad for the trigger points, and this is when the TENs unit worked best. The same mechanism may be why aerobic exercise gives some temporary relief for trigger point pain. This sounds like a complicated treatment plan and it is. This pain was so bad, I thought I would loose my mind over it. In the end, I have finally overcome it. Sometimes the answer is not easy, but if you're motivated enough it's out there.

Comment from: Andi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been suffering with myofascial pain syndrome my entire life, and only recently found the right treatment for it. When my pain starts acting up, I will visit my chiropractor, who selectively works on my spine and gives me dry-needling in my muscles. This is extremely painful after a session; however, once the pain disappears, the myofascial pain decreases. I also simultaneously visit a physiotherapist who works on my trigger points. I have found that this combined therapy has helped me tremendously.

Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle pain?