Patient Comments: Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: December 14

I was told that I have Myofascial from my Physical Therapist. I have to live with it and manage the pain positively. I have constant pain on one side of my neck and shoulder. Sometime the pain is tormenting but sometimes bearable. At the beginning (10 years ago), I only had wrist pain because of computer mouse, long hours working at computer, but now the pain is all the time. I had a bad migraine, but it is fixed by taking low dose Aspirin everyday. The doctor found a high level platelet count, which contributes to headache. I have taken 1.5 years off work now and tried different things but still have no fix. I am doing exercises everyday, use heat pack, maintain good posture, have a stretch every 30 min while working at computer. That is right, I have decided to live with the pain instead of fixing it. If your body has pain, act immediately before it is too late. I have taken 1.5 years off work now, tried different things but still have no fix. I am doing exercises everyday, use heat pack, maintain good posture, have a stretch every 30 min while working at computer. That is right, I have decided to live with the pain instead of fixing it. If your body has pain, act immediately before it is too late.

Comment from: lovebooksanddogs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I wanted to thank the people who have taken the time to post here despite being in pain. I have been diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome. It is constant and relentless. I am still trying to figure it out after more than 2 years. Medication have been the only thing so far to help. I am going to try physical therapy again (only went for 2 weeks about a year ago) what a horrible nightmare this has been. I refuse to give up.

Comment from: Ann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

Honestly, I have tried everything- PT, rolfing, drugs - but what helps the most is a gluten and sugar free lifestyle.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

If you are lucky enough to have access to a pain center you can try trigger point injections. They did not work that well until one night I wrote on myself. I found my sore spots--three in each hip--and they felt around my drawings and when I jumped with pain they gave me a shot! It's the best communication I've had with my doctors. The pain disappeared like magic.

Comment from: Katmandu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have had myofascial pain all my life but it was only definitively diagnosed in 2004 when I was 55. Very discouraging. I started taking 50 mgs of Lyrica and it helps but not more than 10 hours at which point I feel like I was run over by a truck all over again from the waist up. Very distracting mentally and very immobilizing. I have tried exercising but Tai Chi seems to be the best exercise. It sooths my soul as well as my body. But again the relief doesn't last. I have learned to embrace the pain which helps as long as the pain doesn't control me.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 26

I have recently been successfully treated for polymyalgia rheumatica by "autologous stem cell therapy here in the Republic of Panama." No moral arguments because the stem cells were removed from my adipose tissue, separated in the lab and then reinfected into my body no problems with using other person's stem cells there was no rejection. Within three months the serious pain which had me bed ridden for about eight months is now gone. Good luck by the way, stem cell therapy here is done by American trained doctors and is much cheaper than anywhere else.

Comment from: Molly2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I finally gave up on everything that wasn't working and found a board-certified myofascial trigger point therapist. MyoRehab in Albuquerque, NM, has given be my life back. I had locked down muscles pulling ribs out of place in my back and at my sternum. Finally, all that is gone. I maintain with constant stretches throughout the day and an occasional trip back to MyoRehab for a tuneup. What a relief! I can't believe I suffered for eight years. There was hardly a muscle in my body that was not locked down. I'm getting back to living.

Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle pain?