Patient Comments: Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?

Comment from: vfogerty1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have fibromyalgia that was diagnosed about 10 years ago and just diagnosed with hemi facial spasms about 2 months ago, and I have to get Botox injections to lessen to spasms. I feel like I might have myofascial pain syndrome as well. My neck is so bad and lower back has so much pain it is nauseating.

Comment from: Amy89, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been suffering with myofascial pain for about 6 months. It often feels like toothache so I've been making numerous visits to the dentist. Eventually, recently I've been referred and seen by a pain doctor. He said I have grade 2 artificial myofascial pain. He said there isn't much they can do and put me on a medication called pregabalin. The pain doctor told me acupuncture wouldn't work however I have rang around a couple, and they have said it would work. I'm running out of options just want this pain to go away.

Comment from: Blue Ice, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I've been getting muscle pain since I was 14. I've been diagnosed with having OCD since I was 9, and Schizoaffective Disorder at 17. If there is any correlation, I'm 40 now, and now my back hurts, and I get sudden pains, and then just muscle pain in my chest, shoulders, arms, back, and upper legs, for what seems no reason at all. I tried stretching and exercise for muscle imbalances, and my own effort to massage all the points where I have pain, in case they are trigger points. My back has really let up, and my leg seems a lot better from hurting me for a year, after what seems nothing at all to cause it. I took Advil, and Tylenol, but am now looking forward to trying Aleve (Naproxen) over the counter now that it's available in Canada. Over all, it's a real pain in the butt to have always some kind of muscle pain or strain somewhere even to a point where I can barely move, and a movement, sudden or not, can cause unbearable pain that I yell. It's a good thing that a high threshold for pain helps. I find one anti-inflamation drug will help one part of me, but not another part. Anyway, Naproxen for me soon.

Comment from: Aimsters, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have suffered from this type of muscle pain for four years now after my vehicle was hit head on by a much larger vehicle. I did physical therapy for a while, but he told me that there was nothing more he could do for me, as I was getting worse. A couple of years before the accident, I was diagnosed with cervical spurs, C 6/7 that were giving me problems. I still get muscle cramps, buzzing sensations, and deep aches all over my body, but the pain has calmed down compared to the excruciating pain and misery I endured for the first two years following the motor vehicle accident. I take high doses of nortriptyline and gabapentin at night to sleep, more gabapentin in the morning along with cymbalta for the depression this type of constant pain causes, and more gabapentin in the afternoon if I need it. I attend massage therapy only once a month now because of the expense, and do water exercises such as water walking, water running, and stretching swimming motions for only about 20 minutes at a time or I get debilitating muscle cramps in my toes, feet, legs, mid-back, and thighs. I am not improving, and now I am plagued by headaches as well. I try not to stress myself physically or mentally. I would take opiates at this point, but I don't think my doctor would prescribe these for me because of their potential to be habit-forming. It is the longevity of the pain and discomfort that is wearing me down. The quality of my life in every respect has been affected negatively by this condition. This is more than just a drag!

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: December 14

I was told that I have Myofascial from my Physical Therapist. I have to live with it and manage the pain positively. I have constant pain on one side of my neck and shoulder. Sometime the pain is tormenting but sometimes bearable. At the beginning (10 years ago), I only had wrist pain because of computer mouse, long hours working at computer, but now the pain is all the time. I had a bad migraine, but it is fixed by taking low dose Aspirin everyday. The doctor found a high level platelet count, which contributes to headache. I have taken 1.5 years off work now and tried different things but still have no fix. I am doing exercises everyday, use heat pack, maintain good posture, have a stretch every 30 min while working at computer. That is right, I have decided to live with the pain instead of fixing it. If your body has pain, act immediately before it is too late. I have taken 1.5 years off work now, tried different things but still have no fix. I am doing exercises everyday, use heat pack, maintain good posture, have a stretch every 30 min while working at computer. That is right, I have decided to live with the pain instead of fixing it. If your body has pain, act immediately before it is too late.

Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle pain?