Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Denny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been woken by lower leg muscle cramps for years. My daughter said that an ounce shot of dill pickle juice would stop it. It did instantly. Maybe that is why pregnant women crave dill pickles. Any pickle juice seems to work for me.

Comment from: Yogi, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I am a diabetic and have been experiencing occasional muscle cramps for the last 35 years (since I was 45years). Mainly they occur during hot weather season as I live at latitude of about 18 degrees. I get relief when I drink a glass of water with a spoonful of salt.

Comment from: buffalo girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have 2 shot glasses of 100 percent orange juice every morning, no more no less. I went from daily, nighty cramps of legs, sides, arms and even face cramps, to 'can't even remember my last cramp'. I also took 5 quinine pills a day which made my heart beat out of my chest. I've been doing my orange juice now for at least 10 years, I'm a firm believer in orange juice.

Comment from: Pixiecat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have had leg, ankle and foot cramps at night for a long time. Whenever I start having them I take 500mg of lysine. It is a supplement, available at Walmart and very cheap. It works well for me. I take one tablet before bedtime and no more cramps.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I suffer from leg and foot cramps. I have found that if I take a tablespoon of mustard while I am having the cramps, the cramping stops almost immediately. Sounds awful, but it is worth it to have relief.

Comment from: cynthia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have suffered from chronic leg, hands and foot cramp for years and found that quinine worked the best but please note there is a side effect from the use of quinine for too long a period. My eyes have been damaged by the quinine which has affected certain colors being indistinguishable, red for one. I am going to try mustard and vinegar.

Comment from: Pearl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had leg cramps at night occasionally. I had to quit kneeling in church due to cramps in hamstrings. I woke up one morning with severe cramps in both legs and both feet. I passed out and broke my ankle really badly. My doctor put me on Synthroid for low thyroid 2 months ago. I have not had a leg cramp since.

Comment from: housewife20, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My husband had severe leg cramps for years. He would wake up screaming, they were so bad. So he went to the doctor his doctor told him to drink 4oz of club soda every night before going to bed. It has been a life saver, no more cramps. He suffered for about 5 years with these cramps, now they are gone as long as he drinks the club soda. People might try it and see how it works for them. The taste is bad but my husband said after a while you get used to it.

Comment from: lapwing, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

My wife and I both suffer from night cramps. Quite by chance we discovered that warming the affected muscle with an air drier gave almost immediate relief. Clearly care must be taken not to overdo it and cause burns.

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?