Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: RPH, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

When muscle cramps sets in drink tonic water, any brand as it contains quinine in it. I drink about 4 ounces, and it works very quickly. I am looking for some deficiency in my diet, vitamin or otherwise, to take as a preventative.

Comment from: Angie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

The quickest and easiest muscle cramp relief I have discovered is to immediately drink dill pickle juice. It doesn't have to be over a fourth of a cup to work. I don't know why but it works very fast.

Comment from: rogsales, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I've had these leg and ankle cramps since I was about 5 years old. I'm now 66 and just found out what stops them cold. I stopped taking magnesium, and all the other drugs on the market today. I was taking Hyland's leg cramp pills by the dozens. I remember my father telling me when I was 6 years old. He only told me once and at 66 I took his advice and have not taken any pills since. I would have these cramps almost every day. Go the grocery store and buy a bottle of dill pickle spears. Just before you jump into bed, eat (1) one spear, then go to bed. You will never have another cramp, ever. I'm going on 10 weeks without cramps. When you get to the bottom of the jar having taken your last pickle the night before, drink all the remaining juice. Sleep! No cramps ever!

Comment from: Shadowcat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I always make sure I have some magnesium phosphate salts handy and take it daily, if I run out and have a cramp attack in my legs at night I take a drink of Schweppes tonic water as it contains quinine. If I haven't got this then I have a teaspoon of either pickled dill juice, or Piccalilli, It works very quickly. I think the latter must be the vinegar (acetic acid) in these. Hope this is useful to anyone that suffers these horrible cramps.

Comment from: molly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I use Aspercreme lotion for my muscle cramps. I have a bottle in every room in case I get cramps and can't move. For me the cramps are gone within minutes. But it would be nice to not have any. I order it online.

Comment from: GC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I use an Amish leg cramp remedy I get from the health food store. It stops any cramps in about 1 minute. I rarely get cramps but my husband gets them often. He takes it daily and it prevents them.

Comment from: ppt1150, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

Magnesium supplements have helped for my muscle cramps as mine are exacerbated by fibromyalgia.

Comment from: Spencerkins, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have suffered from leg muscle cramps for most of my adult life, mostly at night, and they are excruciating. Sometimes, I can barely get them to work out after 10 minutes of agony. Even though, quinine sulfate is no longer available in the U.S., it is available by prescription in Canada. Both my primary care physician and a rheumatologist I once saw felt there was no problem with taking one 300 mg tablet at bedtime. Each gave me a prescription, and I get them at a pharmacy in Canada. They have totally eliminated my leg cramps at night, thank goodness! Such an amazing relief.

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?