Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: ppt1150, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

Magnesium supplements have helped for my muscle cramps as mine are exacerbated by fibromyalgia.

Comment from: Spencerkins, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have suffered from leg muscle cramps for most of my adult life, mostly at night, and they are excruciating. Sometimes, I can barely get them to work out after 10 minutes of agony. Even though, quinine sulfate is no longer available in the U.S., it is available by prescription in Canada. Both my primary care physician and a rheumatologist I once saw felt there was no problem with taking one 300 mg tablet at bedtime. Each gave me a prescription, and I get them at a pharmacy in Canada. They have totally eliminated my leg cramps at night, thank goodness! Such an amazing relief.

Comment from: bluejean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I'm 83 and have suffered with leg and toe cramps for years, usually at night. When you could still get quinine I used that and it cured the cramp in a minute or less. I got some in Australia after it was banned here but I ran out of it, of course. They no longer sell it there either. Hot water and walking around usually works but I'm definitely going to try pickle juice as some have suggested.

Comment from: CLMauthor6, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been suffering tightening of the calf muscles for the past year. On the scale of 1 to 10, I have had many nights peaking at 10, so needless to say, I dreaded bedtime because of this. Having said that, I was determined to go without prescription medication to remedy this. Through my trial and errors, I found French's mustard to be the most effective. This is what works for me: 1 teaspoon at 12 noon, 1 teaspoon at 3 pm, and 1 tablespoon at 6 pm. Be sure to take the last dosage 2 hours before bedtime. With the mustard for a week, I have been sleeping much better. Elevating my legs with a firm pillow has helped as well. I also do a lot of calf stretches. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I have been having various muscles cramp in my legs at night and they have been excruciating. This has been going on for about three years. Then quite by chance I was listening to a radio show and a patient who experienced leg cramps told of having a teaspoon of mustard at his evening meal and his cramps never returned. So, I thought I'd try it. I also have moderate plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthropathy (arthritis). I have been eating a teaspoon of mustard every night now for a week and the psoriasis has cleared somewhat, the back pain has lowered and, no more cramps. Yea!

Comment from: Socrates, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 19

The calf cramp can be easily stopped in less than 10 seconds by using the lower leg cramp reliever and you don't even have to get out of bed.

Comment from: beachbum, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 21

As I aged I started getting muscle cramps almost every night in my calves. My doctor suggested taking a tablespoon of pickle juice before going to bed. It took a day or so to work, but that stopped the cramps. I asked him about it, and he said he don't know why it works, but it does in many cases.

Comment from: beachbum204, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I started having calf cramps a short time ago and my doctor suggested pickle juice. I take one tablespoon before going to bed and that has stopped the cramps. I might try the mustard to see if that works as well. If it does, I'll add a hot dog and have a meal!

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?