Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: buffalo girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have 2 shot glasses of 100 percent orange juice every morning, no more no less. I went from daily, nighty cramps of legs, sides, arms and even face cramps, to 'can't even remember my last cramp'. I also took 5 quinine pills a day which made my heart beat out of my chest. I've been doing my orange juice now for at least 10 years, I'm a firm believer in orange juice.

Comment from: Pixiecat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have had leg, ankle and foot cramps at night for a long time. Whenever I start having them I take 500mg of lysine. It is a supplement, available at Walmart and very cheap. It works well for me. I take one tablet before bedtime and no more cramps.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I suffer from leg and foot cramps. I have found that if I take a tablespoon of mustard while I am having the cramps, the cramping stops almost immediately. Sounds awful, but it is worth it to have relief.

Comment from: Pearl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had leg cramps at night occasionally. I had to quit kneeling in church due to cramps in hamstrings. I woke up one morning with severe cramps in both legs and both feet. I passed out and broke my ankle really badly. My doctor put me on Synthroid for low thyroid 2 months ago. I have not had a leg cramp since.

Comment from: housewife20, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My husband had severe leg cramps for years. He would wake up screaming, they were so bad. So he went to the doctor his doctor told him to drink 4oz of club soda every night before going to bed. It has been a life saver, no more cramps. He suffered for about 5 years with these cramps, now they are gone as long as he drinks the club soda. People might try it and see how it works for them. The taste is bad but my husband said after a while you get used to it.

Comment from: pat7746, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I used to use quinine and it really stopped my leg cramps, but you can"t get it anymore. I then tried quinine water, but I would have to drink too much for it to do any good. I have tried potassium and magnesium but they do nothing. I"ve tried a lot of other things too. There has to be an answer out there. The leg cramps are terrible. They wake me every night.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 44 years old and started getting feet, leg and back muscle cramps about 15 years ago. These cramps will last up to about 6 minutes. They will tighten then release and as soon as you think it's gone, it hits again. I have not found anything that prevents them but I do know extreme cold in the morning will bring them on and dieting seems to make them more frequent. A couple tablespoons of vinegar will release the cramp within a few minutes but that is sometimes hard to get down at 5 AM.

Comment from: lapwing, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

My wife and I both suffer from night cramps. Quite by chance we discovered that warming the affected muscle with an air drier gave almost immediate relief. Clearly care must be taken not to overdo it and cause burns.

Comment from: annie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 28

Years ago I was treated for a blood clot in the leg. Ever since, I have periodic cramps in calves and feet, it usually happens when I have been on my feet for long periods. Since I found a product called "rescue 911" I have no dread of them. As a roll-on, it can be taken no matter when they strike. It works in about a minute or two and is the most effective of anything I have tried.

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?