Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: annie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 28

Years ago I was treated for a blood clot in the leg. Ever since, I have periodic cramps in calves and feet, it usually happens when I have been on my feet for long periods. Since I found a product called "rescue 911" I have no dread of them. As a roll-on, it can be taken no matter when they strike. It works in about a minute or two and is the most effective of anything I have tried.

Comment from: lafera, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had leg cramps almost 40 years. For years were sporadic and hot muscle medicines would stop the cramps. However the last ten years the cramps in my calves, toes, feet and ankles have increased in intensity. Any time I sit or lay with my legs up the cramps will start. My bedroom is on the second floor and I sometimes have to sit on each step to descend because my feet are so twisted. The cramps usually wake me about an hour after sleeping. Ice packs tied on the bottom of my feet and around the calves will help but after the ice melts usually an hour later the cramps are back. This goes on all night long. Heat helped for some time, then not. Ice helps but only for an hour. I have used Biofreeze and other muscle rubs but after a while they stop helping. I try not to wear the same shoes more than 2 days. Anything with arch support, like tennis shoes, is terrible. My doctor recently said to try magnesium. I take a diuretic for blood pressure and generic Detrol for an overactive bladder. The cramping is so severe some nights I am up every hour. Walking barefoot around home is better than wearing shoes or slippers.

Comment from: mpj, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I used to get calf muscle cramps once in 6 months as soon as I wake up. One of the main reasons I found was that it was due to stretching your muscles before getting up. You can press your toe firmly to the ground to get it released.

Comment from: Shass, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Magnesium will cure muscle cramps for me.

Comment from: stangsizzle, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 17

The cheapest thing to end cramps is a bar of soap, any soap, dry rub it on the cramp and lay it on the cramp, the minerals from the bar of soap open the blood vessels and thus, releases the cramp. Apple cider vinegar works well.

Comment from: cynthia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have suffered from chronic leg, hands and foot cramp for years and found that quinine worked the best but please note there is a side effect from the use of quinine for too long a period. My eyes have been damaged by the quinine which has affected certain colors being indistinguishable, red for one. I am going to try mustard and vinegar.

Comment from: pat7746, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I used to use quinine and it really stopped my leg cramps, but you can"t get it anymore. I then tried quinine water, but I would have to drink too much for it to do any good. I have tried potassium and magnesium but they do nothing. I"ve tried a lot of other things too. There has to be an answer out there. The leg cramps are terrible. They wake me every night.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 44 years old and started getting feet, leg and back muscle cramps about 15 years ago. These cramps will last up to about 6 minutes. They will tighten then release and as soon as you think it's gone, it hits again. I have not found anything that prevents them but I do know extreme cold in the morning will bring them on and dieting seems to make them more frequent. A couple tablespoons of vinegar will release the cramp within a few minutes but that is sometimes hard to get down at 5 AM.

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?