Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Published: June 16

I get a cramp in my lower right neck just at the base of the skull. It is most commonly started by looking down at only about 20 degrees and can only be relieved by tilting the head back and to the right.

Published: June 13

I don't know when the information on this site (ref. treatment for leg cramps) was last updated, but quinine is no longer available in the US even with a doctor's prescription. My husband used it for years and it was the only thing that would help. Now we're experimenting with vitamins and herbal remedies.

Published: June 05

I have not had cramps for several years until today. I take dilute apple cider vinegar and honey daily, 2tblsp vinegar and 1 tsp honey to an 8 oz glass of water (more or less) which I find very refreshing. When I occasionally had leg cramps (charley horse) during the night I would immediately take a couple of fl ozs of the diluted apple cider vinegar and honey mix and the cramps would disappear in less than 15 seconds. I usually take several supplements daily including Vitamins C & E, full multi Bs, kelp, Potassium, and a few others less rigorously, and a well balanced low fat diet. My blood tests taken and again this year were all average for my age (73) and I am in generally good health. For the past two weeks I cut out magnesium calcium supplement at breakfast as I heard it impedes the absorption of some vitamins and should be taken separately. But I usually get caught up the rest of the day and forgot to take it later. I have been physically active in the garden for over a month and today I over-extended myself and was pretty exhausted by 7:30 pm when I stopped for dinner. At 8:30 pm I had violent cramps in both hands while holding a spoon. I took a couple of ozs of the diluted cider vinegar and honey mix and, as usual, it immediately relieved the cramps, however, just to be sure, I took a couple of calcium magnesium supplements also. I hope this gives you a broad enough picture to form your own opinion, but I found the apple cider vinegar and honey provides "immediate" relief from cramps. I have a 2 qt bottle ready made up in the fridge all the time and take about 4 ozs daily. At first the mix may taste a little strong but having quickly got used to it, I take it a bit stronger on the vinegar. I would strongly suggest you talk things over with your physician, as I strongly believe our daily nourishment needs are as individual as our finger prints or our face, and not enough is known, not only of our individual needs, and limits, but also the interaction of everything we take daily, (including medication, which thankfully I don't need).

Published: June 03

I believe nearly every muscle in my body has cramped one time or another. From my fingers to my toes. To my chest from my hamstrings. Even my chin has cramped. When I feel the onset of a cramp, I usually consume 1 teaspoon of pure mustard. The sodium content really helps my muscles relax.

Comment from: Jillsie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I get terrible foot cramps at night. If I take a spoonful of molasses, they subside.

Published: July 21

Quinine has been very helpful for me. It can be found in a product called Leg Cramps, and it's sold in most Wal-Marts or drug stores. It is a holistic product.

Published: July 21

I'm having finger, hand and leg cramps. My quinine prescription for my leg cramps hasn't helped. Maybe it's because I don't take quinine everyday. As of today, I've started taking over-the-counter magnesium, calcium and zinc along with potassium pills. Hopefully they eliminate the cramping.

Published: July 07

Drinking dill pickle juice daily (particularly at bedtime) has helped many of my family members combat leg cramps - especially at night.

Published: July 03

I have nocturnal leg cramps sometimes in the calf and occasionally in the upper leg muscles. Tonic water (contains quinine) sometimes helps me along with magnesium and calcium tablets.

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?