Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Hopesharma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 70 years old and have been getting leg muscle cramps since younger days. But for the last two years I started getting them almost every night. Then I read somewhere that garlic can help prevent the cramps. I am happy that I gave it a try. I am taking one garlic pearl (capsule) every day and no more cramps. It is a known fact that garlic is very beneficial for health. At least no side effects as far as I know.

Comment from: Cramp-pa, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I use vitamin E 400 IU as soon as a muscle cramp starts and the cramp disappears in less than one minute. I have had cramps at night time for at least 40 years when standing long time during the day or working in the heat. Vitamin E is the best to stop cramps.

Comment from: SportMassageNYC, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 27

Hands down I'm for prevention of muscle spasms: magnesium citrate is a muscle relaxer. I take it after a tough workout. Beware it relaxes all muscle including intestinal muscles. So if you normally have a tendency toward loose stools try magnesium glycinate instead. If you have low blood pressure, use with caution, magnesium lowers blood pressure by relaxing the muscles within the blood vessels. Massaging the area also helps to get fresh blood into the constricted area.

Comment from: Rhett I., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I have periodic leg, foot, and toe cramps. They wake me up at night. Normally I'm in bed or sitting with my feet up (in a recliner). I've found that if I stand up (even though it's painful) and walk around a little the cramps go away. This works for me.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I have found stretching helps a great deal as does keeping active too but, well hydrated (mostly water). Also, taking some pickle juice and/or apple cider vinegar helps a great deal.

Comment from: Pammy H, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

Mustard! It works almost instantly for muscle cramps. Eat a heaping tablespoon of mustard and you will have relief. I had severe cramps in my right foot and left front lower leg, just right beside the bone going down the lower part of the leg. I grabbed the mustard bottle and ran a hot tub of water... pain was gone and muscle relaxed.

Comment from: paulina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have had painful excruciating cramps that wakes me up in the night for years and thanks to vitamin E 400 taken daily I have no cramps.

Comment from: R Kessler, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

For muscle cramps, I ate bananas, drank copious amounts of water, and electrolytes with poor results. My leg cramps (Charlie horse) happened at night and woke me up many times per night. I finally went to my physician who asked me to drink about 5oz. of tonic water every day. Following his advice I started the program and haven't had a cramp since. Tonic has quinine so at small doses it acts as an anti-spasmodic.

Comment from: valerie, Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Salt and calcium both prevent and relieve leg cramps for me. Supplements or foods high in magnesium, potassium or sugar give me cramps within 20 minutes of ingestion.

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?