Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: paulina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have had painful excruciating cramps that wakes me up in the night for years and thanks to vitamin E 400 taken daily I have no cramps.

Comment from: R Kessler, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

For muscle cramps, I ate bananas, drank copious amounts of water, and electrolytes with poor results. My leg cramps (Charlie horse) happened at night and woke me up many times per night. I finally went to my physician who asked me to drink about 5oz. of tonic water every day. Following his advice I started the program and haven't had a cramp since. Tonic has quinine so at small doses it acts as an anti-spasmodic.

Comment from: valerie, Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Salt and calcium both prevent and relieve leg cramps for me. Supplements or foods high in magnesium, potassium or sugar give me cramps within 20 minutes of ingestion.

Comment from: Germs48, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

For as long as I can remember I have had leg cramps. My Mum used to say that I will grow out of them one day. Well, I'm over 65 years old now and only recently been cured from my cramps! I found a website about leg cramps and there was advertised a different magnesium than I had ever used. It is called monomagnesium malate and I started with 2 capsules, twice a day, and 3 weeks later only 2 capsules before breakfast. It has worked a treat! I hope it will help you too!

Comment from: Denny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been woken by lower leg muscle cramps for years. My daughter said that an ounce shot of dill pickle juice would stop it. It did instantly. Maybe that is why pregnant women crave dill pickles. Any pickle juice seems to work for me.

Comment from: Yogi, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I am a diabetic and have been experiencing occasional muscle cramps for the last 35 years (since I was 45years). Mainly they occur during hot weather season as I live at latitude of about 18 degrees. I get relief when I drink a glass of water with a spoonful of salt.

Comment from: buffalo girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have 2 shot glasses of 100 percent orange juice every morning, no more no less. I went from daily, nighty cramps of legs, sides, arms and even face cramps, to 'can't even remember my last cramp'. I also took 5 quinine pills a day which made my heart beat out of my chest. I've been doing my orange juice now for at least 10 years, I'm a firm believer in orange juice.

Comment from: Pixiecat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have had leg, ankle and foot cramps at night for a long time. Whenever I start having them I take 500mg of lysine. It is a supplement, available at Walmart and very cheap. It works well for me. I take one tablet before bedtime and no more cramps.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I suffer from leg and foot cramps. I have found that if I take a tablespoon of mustard while I am having the cramps, the cramping stops almost immediately. Sounds awful, but it is worth it to have relief.

Comment from: Pearl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had leg cramps at night occasionally. I had to quit kneeling in church due to cramps in hamstrings. I woke up one morning with severe cramps in both legs and both feet. I passed out and broke my ankle really badly. My doctor put me on Synthroid for low thyroid 2 months ago. I have not had a leg cramp since.

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?