Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Loover, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I began having leg cramps as a teenager, especially in the thigh muscles. I could get no help from doctors, but I asked a naturopathic doctor about it. His research turned up the idea that it is a result of a deficiency of Vitamin E. At that time, Vitamin E was not available, but he recommended a spoonful of wheat germ oil each day. That helped immensely. After Vitamin E became available, I found that I need at least 800 I.U. per day. Others will have to experiment to find their best dosage. I am now 82 and this has been my experience.

Comment from: jeffsim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

Magnesium taken twice a day seems to help my muscle cramps. Statins seem to increase the cramps.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have cramps almost every night in my feet and sometimes in my calves. I try sleeping with socks on to keep my feet warm, which seems to help some, but the only way I get rid of the cramps when they start is to get up and drink dill pickle juice.

Published: July 17

I am a 73 year old female. I had leg cramps really bad for years. They now penetrate up my thigh clear up to my crotch. The only thing that will relieve them is a heating pad. I keep one handy. I take quinine. It is available and your doctor can get it for you. I take calcium, potassium and many other vitamins and minerals. I had not had a cramp in more than four years and about a week ago I had a really bad one. I can only scream and hop to get the heating pad. I can't even sit on the toilet. I had skipped a couple of my quinine, trying to stretch them out and hadn't realized how many times I had skipped. It works for me.

Published: July 11

Some nights leg cramps appear out of nowhere, waking me up. I get leg muscle spasms where my toes curl and hurt like the dickens. I find immediate relief from two flexible ice packs handy at all times. I place them where the cramps are hurting the most, underneath the calf of the legs, underneath my feet, and within a few minutes they relax and disappear. Then I follow up with taking potassium, magnesium and calcium pills.

Published: July 09

I stretch the muscles if possible and sometimes take a pinch of table salt under my tongue for leg cramps if they are severe and recurring. My hand cramps only occur with repetitive use and stop when stretched. I am 62 years old and believe this is a part of aging.

Published: July 07

For years, my night cramps were generally controlled with quinine pills taken before going to bed. But since they are no longer available, I have been taking a glass of tonic water -- minus the gin -- about an hour before bedtime. This has worked pretty well for me. I still have occasional nights of walking the floors, but it has greatly improved.

Published: June 18

I am currently very overweight and have Type 2 diabetes. (I had the following problems even when I was 160 lbs. thinner than I am now.) I get very severe cramps in my thighs at night. The pain feels like calf leg cramps (or a "charlie horse") but it's so very, very severe. It feels worse than any leg cramp I have ever experienced. The pain is so bad and no amount of stretching or bending or walking on my leg seems to help. It goes away after about 10 minutes, and the next day the muscles in my leg still hurt. I have never had a heart attack before but to me the pain feels like it would be comparable to that because it is so severe. I have had gallbladder disease and had my gallbladder removed, and a gallbladder attack feels like this kind of pain. I have told my doctor about this pain and had tests done to rule out blood-clots, and they cannot figure out what it is or what causes the pain. From time to time, I also get this same type of muscle pain in other parts of my body such as my lower legs, feet, torso and back. I do not know what to do about it or what is causing it or how to stop it. My doctor does not seem to take it seriously since the previous tests do not show anything conclusive.

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?