Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Nurse Beth, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

Running hot water over my legs for about 20 minutes helps.

Comment from: Sheila, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I take the Hyland's Leg Cramps pills and they seem to work. I also drink apple cider vinegar neat (or any other vinegar). There is a very good Hamish remedy that can be found online but that is a little costly. Whilst my leg is cramping I am in too much pain even to think and can only yell and hope for it to stop.

Comment from: BeachedMermaid, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My mother finds great relief for her muscle cramps if she takes over-the-counter vitamin E on a regular basis.

Published: July 31

A Banana daily for the magnesium in it used to ward off the nighttime leg cramps. Now a Magnesium and Calcium combined supplement seems to help. When it doesn't; one, Ibuprofen (400mg) helps. This has been an intermittent problem from my 40 to 70's and each time it returns it is more severe and covers larger areas of the arms and leg muscles. Particularly in wet or humid weather.

Published: May 29

I was getting very severe muscle cramps in my legs and above my knees. They would tighten up and hurt so bad I couldn't do anything but scream and rub my leg. I had it so bad one night, if I could have gotten up to get my gun, I would have used it! [I think] After I stopped using ALL sweeteners [not real sugar] my leg cramps stopped. However, recently I have been getting them again due to my lack of Potassium. I was put on 40 MG of Lasix. There is something one can take that is guaranteed for milder leg cramps or “Charlie Horse" as I've heard it referred too. Quinine really works!! One of my problems is I don't drink enough liquids! Hope this helps someone, because I can't think of anything more painful then muscle cramps in the keg or thigh-at least the kind I was getting!

Comment from: stan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I suffer with leg cramps usually the thigh and inner thigh and the only treatment that gives me relief is a bit of salt diluted in water.

Comment from: MidsomerMeg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My leg cramps started after I had a heart attack and was given some poisonous dye which nearly killed me. Since then, I've gotten terrible cramps in my feet, legs, and thighs, and sometimes in my hands.(The ones in my thighs I call 'shark attacks' they are so bad.) I've found only two things that work. Mustard: A teaspoon or more of 'wet mustard' (that is, prepared mustard, not dry) followed by a glass of water stops most of my cramps within a minute or two. If a cramp is really bad, I might have to take a second dose. Another helper has been 'Bio Freeze gel' but, because it's expensive for me (around $7 for a tube available on Amazon), I mostly stick with the mustard. By the way, any brand of mustard seems to work. Good luck to everybody.

Comment from: StillStandin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have been tortured by severe leg cramps for a few years. Quinine does help many people and can be found in tonic water, but unfortunately, it is not strong enough for me. I have tried many remedies and for me it is pickle juice. The cramp sets off a chain reaction moving from my feet, to my legs and even my back--absolute agony. But I've found that the cramps usually stop within few minutes after drinking pickle juice and go away for a few hours or so. The amount depends on the person; for me it's about 6 oz. I get leg cramps simply from walking around--the more I walk, the worse my cramps. I think the brine in pickles stop cramps, not the vinegar.

Comment from: Ruthes, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

Why drink vinegar for acute muscle cramping? Cramping responds wonderfully in an acute situation by washing the cramped muscle with a liberal amount of non diluted cider vinegar and waiting 5 to 10 minutes. The muscles relax and there is no residual aching. Try it it works..

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?