Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I have been having various muscles cramp in my legs at night and they have been excruciating. This has been going on for about three years. Then quite by chance I was listening to a radio show and a patient who experienced leg cramps told of having a teaspoon of mustard at his evening meal and his cramps never returned. So, I thought I'd try it. I also have moderate plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthropathy (arthritis). I have been eating a teaspoon of mustard every night now for a week and the psoriasis has cleared somewhat, the back pain has lowered and, no more cramps. Yea!

Comment from: beachbum, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 21

As I aged I started getting muscle cramps almost every night in my calves. My doctor suggested taking a tablespoon of pickle juice before going to bed. It took a day or so to work, but that stopped the cramps. I asked him about it, and he said he don't know why it works, but it does in many cases.

Comment from: beachbum204, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I started having calf cramps a short time ago and my doctor suggested pickle juice. I take one tablespoon before going to bed and that has stopped the cramps. I might try the mustard to see if that works as well. If it does, I'll add a hot dog and have a meal!

Comment from: bud4linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I've suffered for years with foot, calf and thigh cramps, especially the inside of my thigh. Here are the things that I have found that work for me. First, I have 2 pair of sneakers, one that I wear far more often. When I wear the other pair, it's guaranteed that I'll have cramps in my feet and thighs. It just took me a while to realize what was happening. I just have to remember not to wear them. The other 2 things that help me are having an extra blanket over my feet. My feet were getting cold and then they would cramp. The other thing is, when my legs start to cramp, I drink a large glass of water. My son is a coach and he says one of the main reasons for leg cramps is dehydration. Once I started listening to him, I've been able to stop a cramp immediately, but I seldom get them now as long as I keep that blanket on my feet and legs. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Anna Mae, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 27

I have a jar of dill pickle juice, as soon as they start I jump up, grab a big glass of water, drink 2 or so inches of pickle juice, start drinking water and walking. It is a very short time until cramps are gone. When I play golf I have my pickle juice and water ready when I go to bed.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I have been prone to leg cramps while sleeping. I have found if I can figure out how to stretch the cramped muscle, I get immediate relief. For a cramp in the calf muscle, I get up, put my feet flat on the floor and bend my knees and get immediate release. A cramp in the back of the thigh is very painful and stretching that one is also painful. However, when I stand and straighten my leg until my knee locks, I get immediate release of the cramp.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am 53 years old now and have been having cramps in feet, toes, and inner thigh, and believe me, cramp in my ribs that block every breath out of my lungs (since my early 30s). I have been using salt under my tongue that worked for a while. But since I am on blood pressure medication, cramps became worse and my general physician prescribed quinine and wow, I very rarely have a cramp. I only used it when am experiencing a cramp (have a safety stash for in case). I am also using magnesium and vitamin C daily. I live in South Africa and quinine is available here.

Comment from: Nazzy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I frequently get a cramping in the upper inside thigh muscles especially after sitting in a hard chair for a long time. My life saver is Tiger Balm, an ointment available at most pharmacies. It takes about a minute or two for the cramp to abate and is gone. It has a strong odor but you get used to it. Also, walk it off if you can.

Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?