Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Ryanvanren, Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I was stung by a stingray on November 13, 2016 at Huntington Beach, California. I was in about a foot of water with my 8 year old, bodysurfing. After I got stung, I ended up at the lifeguard station about 30 minutes later where they soaked my foot in scalding hot water. The pain for the first hour was tolerable and even more so, when it was in the hot water. I only soaked for about 45 minutes and then went back to the beach to watch my daughter play in her volleyball tournament. After about another 40 minutes (so now about an hour forty five after being stung) the pain was intense and I couldn't sit still. So, I ended up back at the lifeguard station to soak for another 45 minutes. The pain lasted for about 3.5 to 4 hours. Once I got home and put my foot in a Jacuzzi, it virtually went away. I was fine the next day and all week. Now, a week later, my foot has started swelling, is a little painful and the wound is itchy. Not sure if I should go get antibiotics. The wound does not appear to be infected and the swelling is not around the wound, but higher towards my ankle.

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have muscular dystrophy and I have had to deal with serious leg cramps for years. They often start during the night after I overdo it during the day. Quinine Sulfate tablets during a spasm with liquid magnesium are the only things that helps me as the cramps are so severe and do not stop, but spread getting progressively worse to the point of agony. Recently I have found staying hydrated with Gatorade (or something equivalent) during activities helps to actually prevent leg cramps later in the day. Lately I have tried extra water plus lemonade with a teaspoon of magnesium mixed in which works well also. I also periodically drink mineral water. I hope this helps others!

Comment from: susanmarie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

If you are female and suffer from leg cramps, check your hormone levels (progesterone, estrogens, etc.) I have found that my leg cramps were caused by low progesterone. Bioidentical progesterone cream resolved this.

Comment from: female, 75 or over (Patient) Published: May 13

I was admitted to the hospital following symptoms of dehydration, orange urine, nausea and vomiting, lack of appetite, abdominal bloating and general gastric problems. I also had jaundice of the eyes. I was diagnosed with alcohol induced hepatitis and following a CT, fatty liver. I also have hypothyroidism that went undiagnosed for a long time which I think had a play in the buildup of fat in my liver. I have bad gastric reactions to foods with gluten (corn, rice) and many meats too (beef, pork), so I avoid those foods. I had and continue to be malnourished. I think the flora in my gut is off balance and it is hard to digest food (formerly had C. difficile). I take probiotics for that. Since quitting drinking following diagnosis, my stomach has decreased in size by many inches. I have severe stretch marks left. They class fatty liver as either alcoholic or non-alcoholic. My liver levels are tested regularly and my most recent liver ultrasound was normal except for the still fatty liver. I will always do as much as I can to avoid another 5 day hospital stay! I wonder if fatty liver causes confusion. I still feel mentally fogged. I used to take vitamin E to help repair my liver, but read it can lead to a buildup of fat in the liver.

Comment from: Castey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

To all who suffer leg cramps, I too have been having them for many years and they have been so severe that it has made me physically sick. There have been times where I thought my bones were going to break! I also was given every medicine known to mankind with no relief. I then found something that helps a lot! It is called of all things 'Stops Foot and Leg Cramps'. It is an all-natural liquid made by the Amish. It literally has saved my life. It runs about USD 11.00 a bottle and I pour it into a spray bottle and just spray it on the muscle. Instead of a leg cramp that lasts for hours or more, it will break in a matter of minutes. Makes you smell like a tossed salad, but who cares if we are not suffering like that. I get it at a vitamin store, check it out! I swear by it and am very thankful I did research and found it.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?