Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Vicky V., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

A little tip for you people out there suffering from severe cramps. Go see an orthopedist and check your feet. I was just diagnosed with 'hollow feet', a foot deformity where the arch is abnormally high (opposite of flat foot basically). I was told that this was the reason behind the severe cramps I've had since December 14, and was admitted to hospital for it. Probably had this since birth and it all culminated in December; my feet just collapsed after all these years. It is worth a visit to an orthopedist just to check! This has been my life saver.

Comment from: joanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had severe palpitations for 3 years and my cardiologist ignored them until I had a severe episode of atrial fibrillation. I had to wear a monitor for a month before anything showed up on the last day. I was then put on warfarin to avoid stroke. I continued to have severe episodes and finally one morning I was so weak; my pulse dropped to 35. I called the cardiologist and spoke with his nurse who told me to get to the emergency room (ER). I kept pulsing out in the ER. First they put a patch pacemaker on. Then within an hour I was taken to the operation room and had a temporary pacemaker inserted. Next day I had a permanent one. About 4 years ago I had an AV (atrioventricular) ablation; means they burn the AV node so I wouldn't feel the ablation. Finally I felt much better. Now I am starting to feel extreme exhaustion for the past 3 days, it lasts several hours. I cannot even sit up and read when this happens. I am calling the doctor tomorrow to make sure my heart is not out of rhythm. I on warfarin, diltiazem, Valium, and Tylenol PM plus B supplements. I hate to live with this exhaustion; don't feel like I am really living.

Comment from: CJC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Over 3 months ago, I awoke with a very painful muscle cramp middle of right thigh. I still have it. Often it is also felt in the area of the gluteus medius. Standing up or sitting down are the worst, especially if I have been sitting for a while, say, over 20 minutes. Every twitch in my sleep gives a jerk and a stab of pain, so lack of sleep and its consequences are a problem. The site of this pain cannot be localized. I did maximum Aleve and ice and pulled back from a lot of my aerobic machines. Nothing worked. I have been to three doctors and now awaiting a physiotherapist's input. X-rays show a good hip for my age but an inflamed nerve root at L4 L5. MRI shows a goodly amount of lower back arthritis but nothing on nerves. All are puzzled. I wonder if an epidural cortisone would work. It has taken a couple months to get the doctor to validate my pain and I use a low dose oxycodone which takes off the edge. This pain is a 10 almost every time I move that muscle, which is often. Not restless leg syndrome or sciatica. Potassium and calcium are very normal.

Comment from: 94112js, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I would like to know how to treat leg cramps which last months and months. I have low potassium and am treated for it. But when I do get a leg cramp, it just stays cramped and will not release. I stretch, walk, use heat/cold, rubs, and creams. The medical center has no idea. Currently have a leg cramp which has lasted 3 months, a neck muscle cramp lasting 6 months.

Comment from: Nora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was waking up to horribly painful leg cramps every morning. I got no answer on what to do about it from my doctor. After many mornings of suffering, it occurred to me to look up painful leg cramps. I discovered that one of the causes of painful leg cramps is having low potassium. My potassium, when checked, was very low. I started taking a potassium supplement right before bed time. Doing that helped tremendously. I still sometimes have some painful cramping, but at least the leg pain is no longer unbearable.

Comment from: scovey, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I wake up with leg cramps most mornings. They may be in the thigh, calf or foot. I get up immediately, and no matter how painful, they disappear when I walk around. The residual pain may last for a few minutes. Occasionally they occur when sitting too long in one chair. They never occur when I am walking.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?