Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: God's Child, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I suffered for a year with fairly consistent and severe leg/foot cramping. Most of the time potassium drink, plus increasing my water to 12-14 glasses of water helped a lot. The last few months though, the cramping from my groin area to my feet became violent, causing me to scream and not be able to move; plus, they began happening every night, rather than a couple of times a week. After much research, I will tell you that I made these changes, and the cramping has stopped. I discovered I was not taking enough calcium supplements, so I increased them, which also contained magnesium. I found out I needed far more potassium drink (not Gatorade), and increased it. You can check with your doctor and online for the amounts best for you. I began eating very healthy foods 90% of the time, rather than 40% of time, and I expect soon to go off of my cholesterol prescription, which can cause muscle cramps. These are big changes, but for the many I read on here who know the agony of these cramps, the changes are worth it, as well as my health.

Comment from: tmich66, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 47 year old male with muscle cramps affecting many different muscle groups, from feet, calves, and quadriceps to biceps, hands and forearms, back, neck, and jaw. This seems to worsen as I age. I am in good shape, 5"9" and 165 lb. I exercise 3 to 5 days per week. I get plenty of water, and otherwise have had no ailments. The only abnormality I can think of is a high blood calcium level for the last couple of annual physicals. Any help figuring this out would be great. I have been to 2 doctors who don"t seem too worried about it.

Comment from: blue, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I was running on the treadmill one day. I didn't have on proper shoes, the shoes were worn out badly. I wore them and I ran for about as hour. The next day is when I started to have muscle cramps in both legs. The pain is so bad that I can't sleep at night. When I sit down is when I have the pain. Now I put heat pad on it and at night I keep my legs raised up high. I know it will be months before it heals. Make sure you wear proper shoes when you are out running.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 53 year old and I suffer from cramps just about every night. Mainly in my feet, but it also can be in my calves and full legs. I have had no operations, and I am not on any medication and I can"t work it out. I have tried including salt in my diet etc., I do at least 30 minute exercise on the treadmill with a warm up and slow down program so it is not that either.

Comment from: rockman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had two discectomies on L4 L5 and have spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. I get severe leg cramps and foot pain. I believe it is caused from nerve damage in lower spine.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I used to have leg cramps nightly until my doctor put me on vitamin B12 injections 18 months ago ( 1 cc each month ). I"ve not had 1 nocturnal leg cramp since. Oral B12 does not work for me.

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get horrible cramps in my right groin and it happens in the early morning hours. I use heat to help. Due to poor circulation in my legs the doctor suggested I try horse chestnut extract (I had a heart attack several years ago). This helped the swelling and flow of blood, but the cramps got worse. I had the groin cramp before the horse chestnut, but they got worse after taking it... I'm not sure what to do.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?