Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: CJC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Over 3 months ago, I awoke with a very painful muscle cramp middle of right thigh. I still have it. Often it is also felt in the area of the gluteus medius. Standing up or sitting down are the worst, especially if I have been sitting for a while, say, over 20 minutes. Every twitch in my sleep gives a jerk and a stab of pain, so lack of sleep and its consequences are a problem. The site of this pain cannot be localized. I did maximum Aleve and ice and pulled back from a lot of my aerobic machines. Nothing worked. I have been to three doctors and now awaiting a physiotherapist's input. X-rays show a good hip for my age but an inflamed nerve root at L4 L5. MRI shows a goodly amount of lower back arthritis but nothing on nerves. All are puzzled. I wonder if an epidural cortisone would work. It has taken a couple months to get the doctor to validate my pain and I use a low dose oxycodone which takes off the edge. This pain is a 10 almost every time I move that muscle, which is often. Not restless leg syndrome or sciatica. Potassium and calcium are very normal.

Comment from: 94112js, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I would like to know how to treat leg cramps which last months and months. I have low potassium and am treated for it. But when I do get a leg cramp, it just stays cramped and will not release. I stretch, walk, use heat/cold, rubs, and creams. The medical center has no idea. Currently have a leg cramp which has lasted 3 months, a neck muscle cramp lasting 6 months.

Comment from: Nora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was waking up to horribly painful leg cramps every morning. I got no answer on what to do about it from my doctor. After many mornings of suffering, it occurred to me to look up painful leg cramps. I discovered that one of the causes of painful leg cramps is having low potassium. My potassium, when checked, was very low. I started taking a potassium supplement right before bed time. Doing that helped tremendously. I still sometimes have some painful cramping, but at least the leg pain is no longer unbearable.

Comment from: scovey, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I wake up with leg cramps most mornings. They may be in the thigh, calf or foot. I get up immediately, and no matter how painful, they disappear when I walk around. The residual pain may last for a few minutes. Occasionally they occur when sitting too long in one chair. They never occur when I am walking.

Comment from: aaron diaz, 45-54 Female Published: January 15

I first developed pancreatitis when I was 21. That was the worst feeling i have ever felt. I am a big drinker. I have stayed in the hospital for a week without anything to eat or drink by mouth. That fed me through IV, and I was given morphine every six hours. They said not to drink again or it would get worse. I was scared to pick up a beer. I went sober for a whole year and some, but started again at a party. So after about another year of binge drinking I have it again. The same thing happened three more times. I was released from the hospital about three months ago and my enzymes where extremely high this time, I have liver damage. Despite it all, I still want to drink.

Comment from: sunflower, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I work as a CNA (certified nursing assistant) and I am on my feet for 8 hours a day so I realize I would be sore, but I am sore in my leg muscles even when I am not working and am sitting down. At night I can't sleep on my sides because it hurts so badly, and I also get severe cramps in my thigh muscles.

Comment from: peterc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I've had muscle cramps for most of my life. They seemed to get worse over the last two years, more painful, and lasting longer, up to about 8 minutes. I have tried tablets, to no effect, but now I think (hope) I have found the solution, as I haven't cramped for over a month. It's simple, easy and cheap and it works for me. I put a pinch of Epsom salts into my socks each morning.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?