Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: tmich66, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 47 year old male with muscle cramps affecting many different muscle groups, from feet, calves, and quadriceps to biceps, hands and forearms, back, neck, and jaw. This seems to worsen as I age. I am in good shape, 5"9" and 165 lb. I exercise 3 to 5 days per week. I get plenty of water, and otherwise have had no ailments. The only abnormality I can think of is a high blood calcium level for the last couple of annual physicals. Any help figuring this out would be great. I have been to 2 doctors who don"t seem too worried about it.

Comment from: blue, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I was running on the treadmill one day. I didn't have on proper shoes, the shoes were worn out badly. I wore them and I ran for about as hour. The next day is when I started to have muscle cramps in both legs. The pain is so bad that I can't sleep at night. When I sit down is when I have the pain. Now I put heat pad on it and at night I keep my legs raised up high. I know it will be months before it heals. Make sure you wear proper shoes when you are out running.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 53 year old and I suffer from cramps just about every night. Mainly in my feet, but it also can be in my calves and full legs. I have had no operations, and I am not on any medication and I can"t work it out. I have tried including salt in my diet etc., I do at least 30 minute exercise on the treadmill with a warm up and slow down program so it is not that either.

Comment from: rockman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had two discectomies on L4 L5 and have spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. I get severe leg cramps and foot pain. I believe it is caused from nerve damage in lower spine.

Comment from: Suzie Q, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Intestinal disturbances or disease can cause malabsorption of many vitamins and minerals, as well as dehydration. I have muscle cramps in my chest, intestines, stomach, lungs, feet and legs due to Crohn's disease and resulting ileostomy. I often feel very weak and lightheaded. Potassium, magnesium, and calcium help, and I have been advised by my doctor to use lots of salt as well as to drink a gallon of water a day. The muscle cramps in the back of my calves can leave me with bruises. My vision and memory can be affected. Depression and feelings of not being worth a hoot make life challenging.

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get horrible cramps in my right groin and it happens in the early morning hours. I use heat to help. Due to poor circulation in my legs the doctor suggested I try horse chestnut extract (I had a heart attack several years ago). This helped the swelling and flow of blood, but the cramps got worse. I had the groin cramp before the horse chestnut, but they got worse after taking it... I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: Ellen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 56 years old and have suffered with severe cramps for three years. I drank a quart of tonic water daily and I exercised my legs and feet. I drink 1/2 gallon of water every day, I take hot baths before bed, I wear light socks to bed nothing works. I now take CoQ10 daily and Mag-Ox three times per day. I have had exams, x-rays, blood tests and ultrasounds. I have been to four physicians including an orthopedic surgeon... there is not relief whatsoever and the doctors have no other suggestions. I do not seem to have a magnesium deficiency per the blood results so we are baffled. The cramps are so bad I have to use my hands to straighten out my feet because they curl up. It is scary flying out of bed with this severe pain. I worry about falling now that I am older. I am always tired and drag through the days.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?