Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: jayne, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

My father 70 years old, just started undergoing dialysis for the 3rd time, found that he has muscle cramps during the process. He is also a hypertension patient.

Comment from: deputy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Try "leg cramps" over the counter medicine with quinine. It takes about 15 minutes and tonic water during day time. I've had leg, foot, arch cramps so bad in both limbs at a time for 40 years.

Comment from: Tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am in my 80s and have a history of cramps, from hands to toes but never as bad as of late. Having open heart surgery I have been prescribed Statins. A recent stay in hospital saw me without any form of leg cramps, on returning home and back on the Statins I spent one night literally screaming in agony, with not one hour between attacks. The following night and thereafter I did not take the medication and have not had a single attack nor have I had one since. I suggest anybody medication check the side effects and act accordingly.

Comment from: Dixie, 65-74 Female Published: July 24

I've always had trouble with foot cramps and leg cramps, but they have grown worse this past year. I am nearly 70 years of age and for the past year I have been working at a job where I am required to be on my feet nearly seven hours each night (5 days a week). My potassium level is normal. I do take 10 mg of Simvastatin for cholesterol. The Doctor does not seem to know what causes them. I suspect it is the job and muscle fatigue.

Comment from: Frizzlehead, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have had resting muscle cramps in my feet and legs since I was a teenager. It has gotten worse with age (I am now 62). As others have pointed out, the ones you get on the insides of the thighs are brutally painful. I have found the cause(s) include dehydration, exhaustion, and prolonged standing on concrete. I use lots of Bengay or similar rubs, take a vitamin D supplement, and pay attention to my fluid intake. I now go longer between clusters of cramping episodes, but a recent fast and furious 2,600 mile round trip driving adventure has me cramping from fingers to toes.

Comment from: Bsal, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I play soccer and have muscle cramps in the middle of the game. I drink plenty of water an hour before the game and warm up too. Still, my muscle cramp never cease. It happens almost all the time if I play the full game. The same happens when I swim.

Comment from: judy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 09

I've had leg cramps since age 25, with it most severe in my inner thighs. Walking is the only thing I can do until the spasms subside. After sitting with my legs crossed or using my thigh muscles to get up from sitting on a low surface, will immediately cause a cramp that is so painful and remains sore for week that I have stopped activities that I've always enjoyed with my family.

Comment from: vdeish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

A lot of time if I just move wrong I will get a muscle cramp. Sometimes it can be in the upper leg, side, or anywhere there is a muscle. Not sure what is causing this. I use to have them when I was younger, but then for many years did not have them. Now, at age 58, I am starting to get them again. They are very painful.

Comment from: sharjer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My cramps are usually in my thigh and they are so painful that I feel like passing out. I get clammy, but really hot also.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?