Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Frizzlehead, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have had resting muscle cramps in my feet and legs since I was a teenager. It has gotten worse with age (I am now 62). As others have pointed out, the ones you get on the insides of the thighs are brutally painful. I have found the cause(s) include dehydration, exhaustion, and prolonged standing on concrete. I use lots of Bengay or similar rubs, take a vitamin D supplement, and pay attention to my fluid intake. I now go longer between clusters of cramping episodes, but a recent fast and furious 2,600 mile round trip driving adventure has me cramping from fingers to toes.

Comment from: Bsal, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I play soccer and have muscle cramps in the middle of the game. I drink plenty of water an hour before the game and warm up too. Still, my muscle cramp never cease. It happens almost all the time if I play the full game. The same happens when I swim.

Comment from: judy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 09

I've had leg cramps since age 25, with it most severe in my inner thighs. Walking is the only thing I can do until the spasms subside. After sitting with my legs crossed or using my thigh muscles to get up from sitting on a low surface, will immediately cause a cramp that is so painful and remains sore for week that I have stopped activities that I've always enjoyed with my family.

Comment from: vdeish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

A lot of time if I just move wrong I will get a muscle cramp. Sometimes it can be in the upper leg, side, or anywhere there is a muscle. Not sure what is causing this. I use to have them when I was younger, but then for many years did not have them. Now, at age 58, I am starting to get them again. They are very painful.

Comment from: sharjer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My cramps are usually in my thigh and they are so painful that I feel like passing out. I get clammy, but really hot also.

Comment from: bev, 65-74 Female Published: March 24

I have leg cramps often at night, I drink a cup of Tonic water every other day and I found that it helps.

Comment from: GAYLE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

When in bed, if I move a certain way I will get a sudden painful cramp in my upper leg, not in the calf. It feels like someone is pulling the muscle with their hand.

Comment from: grannyof9, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I have been taking Lipitor for high cholesterol. I usually have the cramps at night, but not always.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?