Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: weazzer60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

For years I suffered from severe muscle cramps that would start in my feet and hands and go all up my legs and arms. Doctors said I was crazy. Finally my rheumatologist I started seeing told me I was vitamin D deficient. He put me on 2000 units / day and the cramps went away. Hope this helps my fellow sufferers.

Comment from: sheelah, 65-74 Female Published: March 18

Every time I seriously overeat on carbohydrates or desserts I end up with severe leg cramps about three hours after consuming the meal. Toes, calves, inner thighs are all affected but not neccesarily at the same time. This will go on, off and on, for an hour or more. I am a type 2 diabetic, but have been told that is not the reason. No one has ever heard of that happening. This has happened to me too many times for it not to be connected in some way.

Comment from: lady bug, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have pain in my toe next to big toe now the pain is in the ball of my foot. It is like a stabbing pain which keeps me off my feet as it hurts to walk. I also get severe cramps in same foot which sometimes radiate to my face and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop this. The cramps are usually at night and wake me from a sound sleep. Could this be neuropathy as I have type 2 diabetes. I take acto. I retain water and my ankles and feet swell also my legs feel like they are swollen as it is hard to bend them.

Comment from: Patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

They are killing me. Seem to be getting them more and more. Need to start drinking more water, etc. Notice when it is getting near time for my B12 injection I get them a lot.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

During dialysis, my aunt experiences severe cramping.

Comment from: jayne, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

My father 70 years old, just started undergoing dialysis for the 3rd time, found that he has muscle cramps during the process. He is also a hypertension patient.

Comment from: deputy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Try "leg cramps" over the counter medicine with quinine. It takes about 15 minutes and tonic water during day time. I've had leg, foot, arch cramps so bad in both limbs at a time for 40 years.

Comment from: Tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am in my 80s and have a history of cramps, from hands to toes but never as bad as of late. Having open heart surgery I have been prescribed Statins. A recent stay in hospital saw me without any form of leg cramps, on returning home and back on the Statins I spent one night literally screaming in agony, with not one hour between attacks. The following night and thereafter I did not take the medication and have not had a single attack nor have I had one since. I suggest anybody medication check the side effects and act accordingly.

Comment from: Dixie, 65-74 Female Published: July 24

I've always had trouble with foot cramps and leg cramps, but they have grown worse this past year. I am nearly 70 years of age and for the past year I have been working at a job where I am required to be on my feet nearly seven hours each night (5 days a week). My potassium level is normal. I do take 10 mg of Simvastatin for cholesterol. The Doctor does not seem to know what causes them. I suspect it is the job and muscle fatigue.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?