Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: JLH, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 34 and I am experiencing severe lower leg muscle cramps mostly during the day but some at night. When I stand or walk the muscle is so tight and crampy I can barely put weight on my legs. This has been going on now for about 3 months. Some days are worse than others but pretty constant soreness/tenderness even when they are not actually cramping. I have no insurance so getting this diagnosed and treated is not possible.

Comment from: paul, 75 or over Male Published: May 26

I am now in my late 70's and have been troubled with leg cramps for most of my life. While the stretching indicated in this article works about as well as anything I've found, it does not work when afflicted in a crowded environment such as a movie theater. I have found that if you just (very painfully) let your muscle curl your leg, and don't fight it, the cramp will dissipate rather quickly.

Comment from: spasms, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have severe spasms from the thigh to the knee and I cannot walk or rub them out. They last for several minutes and sometimes move into my colon area. They hurt so bad I think my heart in going to stop. It is not like a cramp in the lower leg and my hands draw and my feet. Please help me know what to do.

Comment from: Sherri, 45-54 Female Published: May 03

Hard to believe but dill pickle juice. Leg and foot cramps will have me jumping out of bed. I hobble in pain to the fridge and pour me pickle juice. Not so bad. I hear dill pickle Popsicles are being sold for children playing sports.

Comment from: weazzer60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

For years I suffered from severe muscle cramps that would start in my feet and hands and go all up my legs and arms. Doctors said I was crazy. Finally my rheumatologist I started seeing told me I was vitamin D deficient. He put me on 2000 units / day and the cramps went away. Hope this helps my fellow sufferers.

Comment from: sheelah, 65-74 Female Published: March 18

Every time I seriously overeat on carbohydrates or desserts I end up with severe leg cramps about three hours after consuming the meal. Toes, calves, inner thighs are all affected but not neccesarily at the same time. This will go on, off and on, for an hour or more. I am a type 2 diabetic, but have been told that is not the reason. No one has ever heard of that happening. This has happened to me too many times for it not to be connected in some way.

Comment from: lady bug, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have pain in my toe next to big toe now the pain is in the ball of my foot. It is like a stabbing pain which keeps me off my feet as it hurts to walk. I also get severe cramps in same foot which sometimes radiate to my face and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop this. The cramps are usually at night and wake me from a sound sleep. Could this be neuropathy as I have type 2 diabetes. I take acto. I retain water and my ankles and feet swell also my legs feel like they are swollen as it is hard to bend them.

Comment from: Patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

They are killing me. Seem to be getting them more and more. Need to start drinking more water, etc. Notice when it is getting near time for my B12 injection I get them a lot.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

During dialysis, my aunt experiences severe cramping.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?