Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: docfowler, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I tried everything I could find out about. Of ALL the things that I tried it was POTASSIUM that worked (even better with a little magnesium)... but for sure of everything, it was the potassium. I am so convinced I never run out of it for a day.... out to the health food store.

Comment from: lsruple, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

One week ago, I had severe bilateral leg cramps that awakened me at 2 a.m. The cramps were the worst ever and were from my feet to above my knees. It was so bad that I fell and fractured my leg. I was prescribed Klonopin several years ago and do not take it every night. But I will from now on, as I am dealing with a broken leg now and still have to work. I am in a cast boot and having to use crutches.

Comment from: bzone, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I just had a hip replacement four days ago and although I left the hospital within 54 hours now, muscle cramps are keeping me from sleep. Whenever I lie down, they start within minutes. Tylenol or Percocet has not helped.

Comment from: BillyK, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I can guarantee that I WILL get foot cramps at night if I change to shoes with a different heel height even sandal for a few hours. The change can be tiny - It will still cause me to cramp.

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

A year ago I had deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in my leg. Ever since, I get cramps at night in the same leg. I've tried bananas, tonic water, aspirin, and quinine sulfate. None of this has worked and the cramps are more painful than ever. Any suggestions please—I'm getting worn out from lack of sleep.

Comment from: Tomas, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I have suffered from leg cramps for quite sometime now although I take vitamins such as E, D, calcium, magnesium, etc. These cramps have gone from mild to severe. Recently I went through a thyroidectomy and was on a very strict low iodine diet prior to radiation treatment. As a result I was suffering from cramps in my fingers, feet, ankles, and hands. One night I had a cramp so severe that I pass out. It was very bad, I ended up in the ER of a hospital. Now I am back to my regular diet and the cramps have not return. I hydrate myself and take Gatorade due the content of sodium and potassium of this beverage.

Comment from: jd, 65-74 Male Published: July 24

I have had severe cramps in my legs off and on for years, my dad also suffered from leg cramps. My guess is if you sweat a lot you are losing vital minerals etc. I play a lot of golf and my dad was a dairy farmer and also sweated, but he drank a lot of beer to no avail. When I sweat a lot, I started drinking Gatorade throughout the day and at times I'm totally cramp free. One other thing I've done is do not drink cokes or any sweet soft drinks at night, this is hard to do but you must try it because I can guarantee this will cause cramps in my body. Also ice cream at night is a killer for me, absolutely nothing sweet in the evening. Try the Gatorade if you sweat a lot and no sweets before bed or in the evening.

Comment from: Fulani47, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I am in my mid-40s. I get cramps almost every time that I have had a meal that includes specifically salmon. After ingesting salmon, I get cramps within 2 hours. As time passes, these cramps are more painful.

Comment from: rosalyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I suffer cramps and bleeding under the skin on a daily basis. The cramps tear my stomach as they occur under both of my breasts. When I bend over they are in my feet and legs. Every night I get them under my jaw. If I am not doing anything I can sometimes swallow 2 to 3 quinate tablets before I get any relief. My doctor says to try and decrease the quinate to every second day for the bleeding, but my cramps are so severe that's impossible.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?