Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: jd, 65-74 Male Published: July 24

I have had severe cramps in my legs off and on for years, my dad also suffered from leg cramps. My guess is if you sweat a lot you are losing vital minerals etc. I play a lot of golf and my dad was a dairy farmer and also sweated, but he drank a lot of beer to no avail. When I sweat a lot, I started drinking Gatorade throughout the day and at times I'm totally cramp free. One other thing I've done is do not drink cokes or any sweet soft drinks at night, this is hard to do but you must try it because I can guarantee this will cause cramps in my body. Also ice cream at night is a killer for me, absolutely nothing sweet in the evening. Try the Gatorade if you sweat a lot and no sweets before bed or in the evening.

Comment from: Fulani47, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I am in my mid-40s. I get cramps almost every time that I have had a meal that includes specifically salmon. After ingesting salmon, I get cramps within 2 hours. As time passes, these cramps are more painful.

Comment from: rosalyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I suffer cramps and bleeding under the skin on a daily basis. The cramps tear my stomach as they occur under both of my breasts. When I bend over they are in my feet and legs. Every night I get them under my jaw. If I am not doing anything I can sometimes swallow 2 to 3 quinate tablets before I get any relief. My doctor says to try and decrease the quinate to every second day for the bleeding, but my cramps are so severe that's impossible.

Published: February 22

My muscle cramps were so painful all I can do is scream, I cannot move for a few minutes, I have started tasking potassium, magnesium and zinc, plus drinking more water and so far so good. I also eat more bananas than I used to, I will do anything to stop these horrible cramps, I screamed once to let me die during one of my episodes, the pain is the worst pain I have ever had, even worse than labor pains.

Comment from: Bink, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I have cramp all through the day every day, in my feet, legs and hands. I only have to move my foot or leg in the simplest way and they cramp instantly. My G.P. has given me Quinine tablets, but it hasn't made any difference. I have been taking beta blockers for over 25 years and suspect that this is the cause.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: September 30

I've been experiencing severe muscle cramps in my legs and abdomen over the past several months, particularly at night. I'll rub one cramp out and before I can relax, it returns, again and again. This may be connected with a chocolate allergy. After 25 years of avoiding chocolate, I thought I could eat it again, but these cramps started about the same time I started eating it. I'm avoiding it again to see if that makes a difference. I'll definitely give up chocolate to get rid of the cramps!

Comment from: Fancy Nancy 610, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I play a lot of tennis and get cramps on a regular basis. Pickle juice is the only thing that works for me. I drink at least a cup or more and it cures my cramps in 5-10 minutes.

Comment from: Fanfaron, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Don't know if this will help you at night, but when I start getting toe cramps at night, I put on some lightweight socks after a couple of minutes, the cramps go away. Hope this will give you some relief, because I know you can't sleep when your toes cramp up! It may seem too simple to work, but please just give it a try!

Comment from: Debert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a severe Charley Horse in my calf about a week ago. It happened about 6am. It was so severe that it was almost impossible to push my heel to the ground. It felt like I strained or tore my muscle in trying to work the cramp out. I am still feeling the effects and am about 90% back to normal.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?