Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: heidicat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had two back surgeries 20 years ago (I'm 54 now) and have suffered with severe leg cramps generally daily also, but not as frequently as others on here. One thing that helps is to sleep on your side, with a long body pillow placed between your legs as well as a pillow to support your arm that is on top. If you can keep your body as horizontally aligned as possible without twisting or leaning that may bring some relief. Also I just bought a TigerTailUSA muscle roller and believe it or not, this helps when I am having the spasms within a couple minutes. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Obie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I started getting leg cramps in my calves and shins and have tried tonic water, magnesium, etc. Nothing seemed to work except I just tried coconut water, not my favorite, but it has helped for six nights now, yeah! The cause of my leg cramps I believe was from an epidural I had in my back 2 months ago.

Comment from: Alicia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have low blood calcium/magnesium due to poor functioning parathyroid.

Comment from: docfowler, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I tried everything I could find out about. Of ALL the things that I tried it was POTASSIUM that worked (even better with a little magnesium)... but for sure of everything, it was the potassium. I am so convinced I never run out of it for a day.... out to the health food store.

Comment from: lsruple, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

One week ago, I had severe bilateral leg cramps that awakened me at 2 a.m. The cramps were the worst ever and were from my feet to above my knees. It was so bad that I fell and fractured my leg. I was prescribed Klonopin several years ago and do not take it every night. But I will from now on, as I am dealing with a broken leg now and still have to work. I am in a cast boot and having to use crutches.

Comment from: bzone, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I just had a hip replacement four days ago and although I left the hospital within 54 hours now, muscle cramps are keeping me from sleep. Whenever I lie down, they start within minutes. Tylenol or Percocet has not helped.

Comment from: BillyK, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I can guarantee that I WILL get foot cramps at night if I change to shoes with a different heel height even sandal for a few hours. The change can be tiny - It will still cause me to cramp.

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

A year ago I had deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in my leg. Ever since, I get cramps at night in the same leg. I've tried bananas, tonic water, aspirin, and quinine sulfate. None of this has worked and the cramps are more painful than ever. Any suggestions please—I'm getting worn out from lack of sleep.

Comment from: Tomas, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I have suffered from leg cramps for quite sometime now although I take vitamins such as E, D, calcium, magnesium, etc. These cramps have gone from mild to severe. Recently I went through a thyroidectomy and was on a very strict low iodine diet prior to radiation treatment. As a result I was suffering from cramps in my fingers, feet, ankles, and hands. One night I had a cramp so severe that I pass out. It was very bad, I ended up in the ER of a hospital. Now I am back to my regular diet and the cramps have not return. I hydrate myself and take Gatorade due the content of sodium and potassium of this beverage.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?