Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

The cause of my muscle cramps was walking and climbing stairs.

Comment from: chetty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I started walking 5km twice a day and this calf pain is a concern to me, it's painful and a bit hard to work the next day.

Comment from: Geo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had 2 back surgeries on L4 and L5 and shortly after that is when my leg cramps started.

Comment from: healthy67, 65-74 Female Published: July 17

I take magneseum, zinc picolinate, vitamin c, lesithen, e, biotin. I also take a small dosage of generic rx for cholesteral and thyroid med. I drink lots of water-filtered. Recently I spent 1 wk in San Francisco, drank lots of tap water..I didn't change any suppliments or meds. I had no muscle cramps? Do you think their water has minerals I don't get in my refridgerator filtered water??? I have since had them regularly since I've been home.???

Comment from: icezam19, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I was a caregiver for my husband during his horrible cancer battle. I got little sleep during the past two months and adrenaline was running high. The day after his funeral, I woke up in excruciating full body pain. I literally couldn't move anything. I laid there alone for seven hours with no let-up at all. Later, doctors told me my entire back was spasming, which cased my whole body cramp. The cause was a sudden drop of long-term high adrenaline and dehydration. At the hospital, I received morphine, muscle relaxants, and fluids, which all helped. I've also had several months of chiropractic adjustments. So, for me, stress, dehydration, and a sudden adrenaline drop was the cause.

Comment from: Bax, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I've read over all the issues here and mine are different. I had blood work done, and being calcium deficient explains a lot. However, the cramps I get are in my groin. I'm 46 and female and the cramp will happen if I'm sitting, on my feet, watching TV, and even during sex. It is a debilitating pain: I can't move and scream the entire time. It lasts for about 10 minutes but it feels like an eternity. I can't get up. I have to lay and take it, and cry and scream the whole time until it goes away.

Comment from: Karen, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 13

My mom, 80 years old, was having terrible leg cramps every night for several years. She hasn't had it since she had a hysterectomy for a prolapsed uterus. If you are a woman, have had pregnancies, and are suffering from leg cramps, please see a gynecologist and have them check you for a prolapsed uterus.

Comment from: Male Published: January 04

The most severe cramps that I have occur after a day of quail hunting(some heavy walking in heavy cover), or golf in the summer. It occurs mainly above my knees on the inside of my thighs. It is terribly painful and will occur several times during the night. The only relief is to try standing, walking around and keep trying to gently stretch.

Comment from: Old Swimmer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 29

Hi. I suffer with cramps at night, as I get out of bed and during my swimming program. I do not know the cause and cannot find out the cause. But after reading some of these stories, I believe it is due to my Grave's disease(hyperthyroid) and the medication I am on. My cramps started within 3 months of taking this medication. I have tried hot packs etc, and no relief. I have a friend who is a nurse and she said put cold packs on the cramping area. I did this and had instant relief. It only takes seconds for relief.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?