Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Karen, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 13

My mom, 80 years old, was having terrible leg cramps every night for several years. She hasn't had it since she had a hysterectomy for a prolapsed uterus. If you are a woman, have had pregnancies, and are suffering from leg cramps, please see a gynecologist and have them check you for a prolapsed uterus.

Comment from: Male Published: January 04

The most severe cramps that I have occur after a day of quail hunting(some heavy walking in heavy cover), or golf in the summer. It occurs mainly above my knees on the inside of my thighs. It is terribly painful and will occur several times during the night. The only relief is to try standing, walking around and keep trying to gently stretch.

Comment from: Old Swimmer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 29

Hi. I suffer with cramps at night, as I get out of bed and during my swimming program. I do not know the cause and cannot find out the cause. But after reading some of these stories, I believe it is due to my Grave's disease(hyperthyroid) and the medication I am on. My cramps started within 3 months of taking this medication. I have tried hot packs etc, and no relief. I have a friend who is a nurse and she said put cold packs on the cramping area. I did this and had instant relief. It only takes seconds for relief.

Comment from: PT207, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Since my teenage years I've had calf and foot cramps, nearly always after getting into bed. Sometimes they wake me from sleep and I have to stand or walk, pressing my foot flat on the floor until the cramps subside 3 to 4 minutes later. My Dad also had similar cramping. I think I can connect mine to cold feet during the day or a change in the height/fit of my shoes. Unfortunately, it's sort of random. I used to take Qunidine Sulfate if I anticipated cramping, and it worked very well. But that's no longer available and I'm told it is dangerous. I've found that wearing warm socks to bed, or taking a hot shower before bedtime helps. Also, drinking more water than usual seems to help. I am a very healthy 56 year old, a vegan, and work out 4 - 5 times a week.

Comment from: heidicat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had two back surgeries 20 years ago (I'm 54 now) and have suffered with severe leg cramps generally daily also, but not as frequently as others on here. One thing that helps is to sleep on your side, with a long body pillow placed between your legs as well as a pillow to support your arm that is on top. If you can keep your body as horizontally aligned as possible without twisting or leaning that may bring some relief. Also I just bought a TigerTailUSA muscle roller and believe it or not, this helps when I am having the spasms within a couple minutes. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Obie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I started getting leg cramps in my calves and shins and have tried tonic water, magnesium, etc. Nothing seemed to work except I just tried coconut water, not my favorite, but it has helped for six nights now, yeah! The cause of my leg cramps I believe was from an epidural I had in my back 2 months ago.

Comment from: Alicia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have low blood calcium/magnesium due to poor functioning parathyroid.

Comment from: docfowler, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I tried everything I could find out about. Of ALL the things that I tried it was POTASSIUM that worked (even better with a little magnesium)... but for sure of everything, it was the potassium. I am so convinced I never run out of it for a day.... out to the health food store.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?