Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: olderand wiser, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 24

About 8 years ago my doctor wanted me to take Lipitor and I reluctantly agree to try it. Within six weeks I began to notice loss of control in my arms and legs but my doctor was in denial that it could be related. Shortly thereafter I ended up in the emergency room because I could barely move and thank God for the young ER doctor who nailed it right away. Dropped the medication right away and the symptoms began to clear up almost immediately although I have since discovered that permanent damage was done that I will have to live with. Also, the same result about two years ago when my doctor prescribed Lantus for diabetes treatment. I would wake in the middle of the night with severe leg cramps then spreading to my arms. Those symptoms disappeared after I stopped the medication. My former doctor still doesn't believe there was a connection! I still have occasional problems with muscle pain and weakness but get relief utilizing several homeopathic supplements without side effects of any kind.

Comment from: mimito3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am a 70- year old woman. For years I had severe leg cramps at night. Several years ago I decided we needed to cut down on salt. I bought some Lite Salt. Immediately my leg cramps stopped. Lite salt contains salt, potassium chloride & magnesium. Anytime I don't eat anything that I have salted with Lite Salt, that night I will get a severe leg cramp again. My beautician had the same type cramps so I started her to using Lite Salt. She had the same results that I did. Of course if we use too much of it our potassium will be too high.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: January 19

I get severe muscle cramps in my upper legs in the evening while sitting in the recliner or while in bed. They hurt too bad to wait it out, so I fill the bathtub as hot as I can handle and get in. The cramp usually subsides within a few minutes.

Comment from: daisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

The cramp I get is in the top of my inner thigh, its vice like, the pain is so bad it brings me to tears, This normally only occurs during the night and can take up to half an hour to subside but the ache can stay with me for a day or two, Stretching doesn't help. I have tried deep breathing and or having a drink of water.

Comment from: gramps427, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Sadly I have found nothing helps to stop cramp attacks; too often its related to other problems I've had (Heart Attack aged 42) and the medications that are thrown at me. Right now a bad run has, I believe, led to other problems with my Achilles that was damaged many years ago. I have found that GP's tend to lack sympathy over the problems of facing up to a cramp attack in both calf's at 5 am and the struggle to walk for a couple of days after. Along with prolapsed lumbar discs and cervical anomalies the only advice I could give is don't grow old to quickly and drink lots of orange juice topped up with your favorite bevvy!

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: July 26

I have gotten absolutely horrible leg cramps starting last September. I have had cramps in my feet and calves for a long time but starting last September I started getting horrible cramps in not only my calves but also in my thighs at the same time. I went camping and shortly after I went to bed, both legs cramped up from my ankles to the tops of my thighs. Both the muscles in the front of my thighs and back of my thighs cramped up. The cramps were so bad that I couldn't get out of my sleeping bag. I had to wait until they subsided somewhat, then I managed to wriggle out of my sleeping bag without bending my legs very much. Even after I was able to stand, my legs were still cramped. The whole episode must have been at least two hours.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

The cause of my muscle cramps was walking and climbing stairs.

Comment from: chetty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I started walking 5km twice a day and this calf pain is a concern to me, it's painful and a bit hard to work the next day.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?