Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: daisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

The cramp I get is in the top of my inner thigh, its vice like, the pain is so bad it brings me to tears, This normally only occurs during the night and can take up to half an hour to subside but the ache can stay with me for a day or two, Stretching doesn't help. I have tried deep breathing and or having a drink of water.

Comment from: gramps427, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Sadly I have found nothing helps to stop cramp attacks; too often its related to other problems I've had (Heart Attack aged 42) and the medications that are thrown at me. Right now a bad run has, I believe, led to other problems with my Achilles that was damaged many years ago. I have found that GP's tend to lack sympathy over the problems of facing up to a cramp attack in both calf's at 5 am and the struggle to walk for a couple of days after. Along with prolapsed lumbar discs and cervical anomalies the only advice I could give is don't grow old to quickly and drink lots of orange juice topped up with your favorite bevvy!

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: July 26

I have gotten absolutely horrible leg cramps starting last September. I have had cramps in my feet and calves for a long time but starting last September I started getting horrible cramps in not only my calves but also in my thighs at the same time. I went camping and shortly after I went to bed, both legs cramped up from my ankles to the tops of my thighs. Both the muscles in the front of my thighs and back of my thighs cramped up. The cramps were so bad that I couldn't get out of my sleeping bag. I had to wait until they subsided somewhat, then I managed to wriggle out of my sleeping bag without bending my legs very much. Even after I was able to stand, my legs were still cramped. The whole episode must have been at least two hours.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

The cause of my muscle cramps was walking and climbing stairs.

Comment from: chetty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I started walking 5km twice a day and this calf pain is a concern to me, it's painful and a bit hard to work the next day.

Comment from: Geo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had 2 back surgeries on L4 and L5 and shortly after that is when my leg cramps started.

Comment from: healthy67, 65-74 Female Published: July 17

I take magneseum, zinc picolinate, vitamin c, lesithen, e, biotin. I also take a small dosage of generic rx for cholesteral and thyroid med. I drink lots of water-filtered. Recently I spent 1 wk in San Francisco, drank lots of tap water..I didn't change any suppliments or meds. I had no muscle cramps? Do you think their water has minerals I don't get in my refridgerator filtered water??? I have since had them regularly since I've been home.???

Comment from: icezam19, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I was a caregiver for my husband during his horrible cancer battle. I got little sleep during the past two months and adrenaline was running high. The day after his funeral, I woke up in excruciating full body pain. I literally couldn't move anything. I laid there alone for seven hours with no let-up at all. Later, doctors told me my entire back was spasming, which cased my whole body cramp. The cause was a sudden drop of long-term high adrenaline and dehydration. At the hospital, I received morphine, muscle relaxants, and fluids, which all helped. I've also had several months of chiropractic adjustments. So, for me, stress, dehydration, and a sudden adrenaline drop was the cause.

Comment from: Bax, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I've read over all the issues here and mine are different. I had blood work done, and being calcium deficient explains a lot. However, the cramps I get are in my groin. I'm 46 and female and the cramp will happen if I'm sitting, on my feet, watching TV, and even during sex. It is a debilitating pain: I can't move and scream the entire time. It lasts for about 10 minutes but it feels like an eternity. I can't get up. I have to lay and take it, and cry and scream the whole time until it goes away.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?