Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: smoky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

For several years I've had a muscle pain in my groin area and it hurts so bad I cry. It bends me over and I can't do anything. You can't straighten up and you just have to cry and wait about 10 to 15 minutes for it to pass. Sometimes I go for a year and not have one .You never know when it's going to happen. I've been on several muscle relaxers but it's not something you can take all the time. Now I've found this site and intend to try some of the things people are talking about.

Comment from: SymJowers, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Within the last 2 months I have begun having severe leg and feet cramps. When I say severe, I mean it brings tears to your eyes with pain! I went to the doctor and she prescribed ropinirole because she claimed it was restless legs. I have had restless legs and knew it wasn't that. It did not help, but I have eased the cramps up with Hyland's Leg Cramps PM. I purchased them at Walmart. I had to call the doctor today because I need to know what is causing this, I cannot continue to put a Band-Aid on the problem. Hoping this appointment will be it!

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I used to have leg cramps nightly until my doctor put me on vitamin B12 injections 18 months ago ( 1 cc each month ). I"ve not had 1 nocturnal leg cramp since. Oral B12 does not work for me.

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get horrible cramps in my right groin and it happens in the early morning hours. I use heat to help. Due to poor circulation in my legs the doctor suggested I try horse chestnut extract (I had a heart attack several years ago). This helped the swelling and flow of blood, but the cramps got worse. I had the groin cramp before the horse chestnut, but they got worse after taking it... I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: Ellen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 56 years old and have suffered with severe cramps for three years. I drank a quart of tonic water daily and I exercised my legs and feet. I drink 1/2 gallon of water every day, I take hot baths before bed, I wear light socks to bed nothing works. I now take CoQ10 daily and Mag-Ox three times per day. I have had exams, x-rays, blood tests and ultrasounds. I have been to four physicians including an orthopedic surgeon... there is not relief whatsoever and the doctors have no other suggestions. I do not seem to have a magnesium deficiency per the blood results so we are baffled. The cramps are so bad I have to use my hands to straighten out my feet because they curl up. It is scary flying out of bed with this severe pain. I worry about falling now that I am older. I am always tired and drag through the days.

Comment from: carl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 58 and have a below knee amputation. I have been suffering for nearly 3 years with terrible muscle cramps in the calf of my leg every day. I have tried everything from medicines to a back operation to shots in the back. I only walk a few feet at a time and have to stop. I've been from doctor to doctor. I've had every test and nothing works.

Comment from: Ace, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I have a sinus infection along with a prostrate infection to boot. Both my general practitioner and my urologist prescribed me sulfamethoxazole TMP DS 800 - 160 tab and ciprofloxacin HCL 500 MG tablet. I've had the most terrible excruciating pain in my left shoulder and my left hip. Almost unbearable. I don't what is causing this, loss of electrolytes or allergic reaction. I`m not over either problems with my prostrate or my sinuses. I had to stop both antibiotics so that I could function on my job without shouting in extreme pain all the time.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have had horrible problems with my legs for sixteen years. I spent almost a decade sleep deprived. I have tried everything from Neurontin to Irish Faith Healers. I finally found Dilantin. I recently was diagnosed with cramp fasciculation with tremors, and my Dilantin was upped. Life is not only tolerable again, most days, I enjoy it.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?