Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have had horrible problems with my legs for sixteen years. I spent almost a decade sleep deprived. I have tried everything from Neurontin to Irish Faith Healers. I finally found Dilantin. I recently was diagnosed with cramp fasciculation with tremors, and my Dilantin was upped. Life is not only tolerable again, most days, I enjoy it.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My cramps started 3 months after having herniated disk surgery in my L4- L5 vertebra. I am 54 and it has now been 13 years of pure Hell! From my knees down I have benign Fasciculations. Similar to the eye twitch but every muscle is twitching. I have seen Internal medicine, neurologists, and specialists in muscles. They all scratch their heads and have no clue what can be the cause of it. The last feels it could have been my surgery. So I guess this is a lifetime of cramping on a nightly basis for me. It is so, painful and exhausting not getting sleep. It starts within 20 minutes of falling asleep. Also, if I am just lying in bed in a horizontal position causes it. At times I have to sleep sitting up to get relief. Every muscle in the lower extremity cramps not just the calf. Predominately in the left leg about 10 0/0 in the right leg. I have studied my eating habits and drinking. I cannot determine the food that enhances it but I do know that wine and club soda intensifies the cramps. Also if I walk in heels I will cramp nearly every 30 minutes all night. I know all this sounds extreme but this is my hell I live with every night. My Doctor put me on Baclofen but that has not helped. I have been on that for about 60 days now. I still have cramps nightly. I started taking the "Bob Barefoot Coral Calcium” supplements about 4 years ago. They have helped tremendously. I can go at times 3 days with no cramps. If I stop taking it within 4 days the cramping is horrific again. I read on here recently that cider apple vinegar will help I started that today so we shall see. I know I have been suicidal at times with the pain. No one knows until they experience it. And the lack of sleep makes it impossible to function. If anyone has any ideas please pass along. I don't know if I am an exception but I do know I have never met anyone who has them so bad as I do. I have even thought about cutting my legs off at the knees. I know that sounds drastic but the pain is getting to be too much.

Comment from: Sunnymae, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm in my seventies. I get severe leg and feet cramps at night. I keep a heating pad handy. I wrap it around my leg, or around my feet. Also, I found putting my feet in hot water (as hot as I can stand) helps to stop feet cramping. I drink a glass of water before bedtime. I think sometimes I might be dehydrated. Walking rarely helps. Sometimes I get them in both legs at once. Then I can't do much of anything. I put the electric heating pad under my legs, on my bed.

Comment from: Taxilady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I feel for all the other people with the leg cramps. What I seem to be going through is every time I take any allergy meds or pain relief meds I start getting real bad muscle spasms in my calves and sides. The only thing that relieves it is hot showers and walking around until the meds get out of my system. I have found an herbal remedy that has seemed to help some, called "Yarrow". It will give you some bowel movements at first, but usually after a day or two it lets up, but the cramps go away! Try it!

Comment from: pdB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I have been taking Zocor (Simvastatin, the generic) for about 3 years, owing to borderline high cholesterol. For the past year or so, I have started developing excruciating leg cramps, in my calves, that begin when I walk maybe 100 steps and increasingly worsen the more I walk. Vascular problems, neuropathy (I am a diabetic), and spinal stenosis have all been eliminated by testing and diagnoses. Recently, my orthopedist suggested I stop taking Simvastatin, and my PCP concurred. It has been five days, and my leg pain has been reduced by half. I'm hoping now this reduction in pain will continue, and I am also beginning physical therapy to relieve the very tight muscles in my lower legs.

Comment from: Marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have charley horses, foot cramps where the foot pulls to the left or right, sever toe cramps, and cramps in my hands. None of these are due to exercise, and most occur in the evening. Last night, I was driving when both feet began cramping so badly I started crying and thought I might have to pull over.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?