Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Sunnymae, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm in my seventies. I get severe leg and feet cramps at night. I keep a heating pad handy. I wrap it around my leg, or around my feet. Also, I found putting my feet in hot water (as hot as I can stand) helps to stop feet cramping. I drink a glass of water before bedtime. I think sometimes I might be dehydrated. Walking rarely helps. Sometimes I get them in both legs at once. Then I can't do much of anything. I put the electric heating pad under my legs, on my bed.

Comment from: Taxilady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I feel for all the other people with the leg cramps. What I seem to be going through is every time I take any allergy meds or pain relief meds I start getting real bad muscle spasms in my calves and sides. The only thing that relieves it is hot showers and walking around until the meds get out of my system. I have found an herbal remedy that has seemed to help some, called "Yarrow". It will give you some bowel movements at first, but usually after a day or two it lets up, but the cramps go away! Try it!

Comment from: pdB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I have been taking Zocor (Simvastatin, the generic) for about 3 years, owing to borderline high cholesterol. For the past year or so, I have started developing excruciating leg cramps, in my calves, that begin when I walk maybe 100 steps and increasingly worsen the more I walk. Vascular problems, neuropathy (I am a diabetic), and spinal stenosis have all been eliminated by testing and diagnoses. Recently, my orthopedist suggested I stop taking Simvastatin, and my PCP concurred. It has been five days, and my leg pain has been reduced by half. I'm hoping now this reduction in pain will continue, and I am also beginning physical therapy to relieve the very tight muscles in my lower legs.

Comment from: Marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have charley horses, foot cramps where the foot pulls to the left or right, sever toe cramps, and cramps in my hands. None of these are due to exercise, and most occur in the evening. Last night, I was driving when both feet began cramping so badly I started crying and thought I might have to pull over.

Comment from: olderand wiser, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 24

About 8 years ago my doctor wanted me to take Lipitor and I reluctantly agree to try it. Within six weeks I began to notice loss of control in my arms and legs but my doctor was in denial that it could be related. Shortly thereafter I ended up in the emergency room because I could barely move and thank God for the young ER doctor who nailed it right away. Dropped the medication right away and the symptoms began to clear up almost immediately although I have since discovered that permanent damage was done that I will have to live with. Also, the same result about two years ago when my doctor prescribed Lantus for diabetes treatment. I would wake in the middle of the night with severe leg cramps then spreading to my arms. Those symptoms disappeared after I stopped the medication. My former doctor still doesn't believe there was a connection! I still have occasional problems with muscle pain and weakness but get relief utilizing several homeopathic supplements without side effects of any kind.

Comment from: mimito3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am a 70- year old woman. For years I had severe leg cramps at night. Several years ago I decided we needed to cut down on salt. I bought some Lite Salt. Immediately my leg cramps stopped. Lite salt contains salt, potassium chloride & magnesium. Anytime I don't eat anything that I have salted with Lite Salt, that night I will get a severe leg cramp again. My beautician had the same type cramps so I started her to using Lite Salt. She had the same results that I did. Of course if we use too much of it our potassium will be too high.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: January 19

I get severe muscle cramps in my upper legs in the evening while sitting in the recliner or while in bed. They hurt too bad to wait it out, so I fill the bathtub as hot as I can handle and get in. The cramp usually subsides within a few minutes.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?