Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Wendy, 65-74 Male Published: June 07

I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune liver disease, and waited for seven long years for my transplant. In the long process of dying I learned how to live. It was the best and the worst experience of my life. I have nothing but praise for all the medical people I came across; all those people who kept me alive until my liver came to me. It was a crazy, scary ride, but worth the wait. I've been well for eight years now, but I'll never take my health for granted again. A special thanks for my husband, who never left me for a minute, and never let me give up, I love you.

Comment from: LongJohn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I have had terrible muscle cramps on my groin for many years. I usually wake up at night with the cramp causing me to be at full mast. The only thing that works is if the old lady massages. Then the cramp goes away. I think I need more potassium in my diet.

Comment from: jaycee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

The backs of my legs cramp as if I were having a charley horse in both at the same time. The only relief I find is getting them warm or lying down.

Comment from: nina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have had bad breath from birth. Nothing works, not even after dental cleaning. The next minute smell is bad again.

Comment from: 94112js, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I would like to know how to treat leg cramps which last months and months. I have low potassium and am treated for it. But when I do get a leg cramp, it just stays cramped and will not release. I stretch, walk, use heat/cold, rubs, and creams. The medical center has no idea. Currently have a leg cramp which has lasted 3 months, a neck muscle cramp lasting 6 months.

Comment from: Nora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was waking up to horribly painful leg cramps every morning. I got no answer on what to do about it from my doctor. After many mornings of suffering, it occurred to me to look up painful leg cramps. I discovered that one of the causes of painful leg cramps is having low potassium. My potassium, when checked, was very low. I started taking a potassium supplement right before bed time. Doing that helped tremendously. I still sometimes have some painful cramping, but at least the leg pain is no longer unbearable.

Comment from: scovey, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I wake up with leg cramps most mornings. They may be in the thigh, calf or foot. I get up immediately, and no matter how painful, they disappear when I walk around. The residual pain may last for a few minutes. Occasionally they occur when sitting too long in one chair. They never occur when I am walking.

Comment from: aaron diaz, 45-54 Female Published: January 15

I first developed pancreatitis when I was 21. That was the worst feeling i have ever felt. I am a big drinker. I have stayed in the hospital for a week without anything to eat or drink by mouth. That fed me through IV, and I was given morphine every six hours. They said not to drink again or it would get worse. I was scared to pick up a beer. I went sober for a whole year and some, but started again at a party. So after about another year of binge drinking I have it again. The same thing happened three more times. I was released from the hospital about three months ago and my enzymes where extremely high this time, I have liver damage. Despite it all, I still want to drink.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?