Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: nina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have had bad breath from birth. Nothing works, not even after dental cleaning. The next minute smell is bad again.

Comment from: Nora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was waking up to horribly painful leg cramps every morning. I got no answer on what to do about it from my doctor. After many mornings of suffering, it occurred to me to look up painful leg cramps. I discovered that one of the causes of painful leg cramps is having low potassium. My potassium, when checked, was very low. I started taking a potassium supplement right before bed time. Doing that helped tremendously. I still sometimes have some painful cramping, but at least the leg pain is no longer unbearable.

Comment from: scovey, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I wake up with leg cramps most mornings. They may be in the thigh, calf or foot. I get up immediately, and no matter how painful, they disappear when I walk around. The residual pain may last for a few minutes. Occasionally they occur when sitting too long in one chair. They never occur when I am walking.

Comment from: aaron diaz, 45-54 Female Published: January 15

I first developed pancreatitis when I was 21. That was the worst feeling i have ever felt. I am a big drinker. I have stayed in the hospital for a week without anything to eat or drink by mouth. That fed me through IV, and I was given morphine every six hours. They said not to drink again or it would get worse. I was scared to pick up a beer. I went sober for a whole year and some, but started again at a party. So after about another year of binge drinking I have it again. The same thing happened three more times. I was released from the hospital about three months ago and my enzymes where extremely high this time, I have liver damage. Despite it all, I still want to drink.

Comment from: God's Child, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I suffered for a year with fairly consistent and severe leg/foot cramping. Most of the time potassium drink, plus increasing my water to 12-14 glasses of water helped a lot. The last few months though, the cramping from my groin area to my feet became violent, causing me to scream and not be able to move; plus, they began happening every night, rather than a couple of times a week. After much research, I will tell you that I made these changes, and the cramping has stopped. I discovered I was not taking enough calcium supplements, so I increased them, which also contained magnesium. I found out I needed far more potassium drink (not Gatorade), and increased it. You can check with your doctor and online for the amounts best for you. I began eating very healthy foods 90% of the time, rather than 40% of time, and I expect soon to go off of my cholesterol prescription, which can cause muscle cramps. These are big changes, but for the many I read on here who know the agony of these cramps, the changes are worth it, as well as my health.

Comment from: tmich66, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 47 year old male with muscle cramps affecting many different muscle groups, from feet, calves, and quadriceps to biceps, hands and forearms, back, neck, and jaw. This seems to worsen as I age. I am in good shape, 5"9" and 165 lb. I exercise 3 to 5 days per week. I get plenty of water, and otherwise have had no ailments. The only abnormality I can think of is a high blood calcium level for the last couple of annual physicals. Any help figuring this out would be great. I have been to 2 doctors who don"t seem too worried about it.

Comment from: blue, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I was running on the treadmill one day. I didn't have on proper shoes, the shoes were worn out badly. I wore them and I ran for about as hour. The next day is when I started to have muscle cramps in both legs. The pain is so bad that I can't sleep at night. When I sit down is when I have the pain. Now I put heat pad on it and at night I keep my legs raised up high. I know it will be months before it heals. Make sure you wear proper shoes when you are out running.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?