Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle cramps?

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get horrible cramps in my right groin and it happens in the early morning hours. I use heat to help. Due to poor circulation in my legs the doctor suggested I try horse chestnut extract (I had a heart attack several years ago). This helped the swelling and flow of blood, but the cramps got worse. I had the groin cramp before the horse chestnut, but they got worse after taking it... I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: Ellen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 56 years old and have suffered with severe cramps for three years. I drank a quart of tonic water daily and I exercised my legs and feet. I drink 1/2 gallon of water every day, I take hot baths before bed, I wear light socks to bed nothing works. I now take CoQ10 daily and Mag-Ox three times per day. I have had exams, x-rays, blood tests and ultrasounds. I have been to four physicians including an orthopedic surgeon... there is not relief whatsoever and the doctors have no other suggestions. I do not seem to have a magnesium deficiency per the blood results so we are baffled. The cramps are so bad I have to use my hands to straighten out my feet because they curl up. It is scary flying out of bed with this severe pain. I worry about falling now that I am older. I am always tired and drag through the days.

Comment from: carl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 58 and have a below knee amputation. I have been suffering for nearly 3 years with terrible muscle cramps in the calf of my leg every day. I have tried everything from medicines to a back operation to shots in the back. I only walk a few feet at a time and have to stop. I've been from doctor to doctor. I've had every test and nothing works.

Comment from: Ace, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I have a sinus infection along with a prostrate infection to boot. Both my general practitioner and my urologist prescribed me sulfamethoxazole TMP DS 800 - 160 tab and ciprofloxacin HCL 500 MG tablet. I've had the most terrible excruciating pain in my left shoulder and my left hip. Almost unbearable. I don't what is causing this, loss of electrolytes or allergic reaction. I`m not over either problems with my prostrate or my sinuses. I had to stop both antibiotics so that I could function on my job without shouting in extreme pain all the time.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have had horrible problems with my legs for sixteen years. I spent almost a decade sleep deprived. I have tried everything from Neurontin to Irish Faith Healers. I finally found Dilantin. I recently was diagnosed with cramp fasciculation with tremors, and my Dilantin was upped. Life is not only tolerable again, most days, I enjoy it.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My cramps started 3 months after having herniated disk surgery in my L4- L5 vertebra. I am 54 and it has now been 13 years of pure Hell! From my knees down I have benign Fasciculations. Similar to the eye twitch but every muscle is twitching. I have seen Internal medicine, neurologists, and specialists in muscles. They all scratch their heads and have no clue what can be the cause of it. The last feels it could have been my surgery. So I guess this is a lifetime of cramping on a nightly basis for me. It is so, painful and exhausting not getting sleep. It starts within 20 minutes of falling asleep. Also, if I am just lying in bed in a horizontal position causes it. At times I have to sleep sitting up to get relief. Every muscle in the lower extremity cramps not just the calf. Predominately in the left leg about 10 0/0 in the right leg. I have studied my eating habits and drinking. I cannot determine the food that enhances it but I do know that wine and club soda intensifies the cramps. Also if I walk in heels I will cramp nearly every 30 minutes all night. I know all this sounds extreme but this is my hell I live with every night. My Doctor put me on Baclofen but that has not helped. I have been on that for about 60 days now. I still have cramps nightly. I started taking the "Bob Barefoot Coral Calcium” supplements about 4 years ago. They have helped tremendously. I can go at times 3 days with no cramps. If I stop taking it within 4 days the cramping is horrific again. I read on here recently that cider apple vinegar will help I started that today so we shall see. I know I have been suicidal at times with the pain. No one knows until they experience it. And the lack of sleep makes it impossible to function. If anyone has any ideas please pass along. I don't know if I am an exception but I do know I have never met anyone who has them so bad as I do. I have even thought about cutting my legs off at the knees. I know that sounds drastic but the pain is getting to be too much.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?