Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Prevention

What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?

Comment from: driver don, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

The best quick fixes for muscle cramps are, a shot of vinegar, a spoonful of yellow mustard, and an antacid tablet. I have used vinegar since 1953 when a doctor told my father about it. He didn"t know why it works, but it does.

Comment from: Bob Joy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have tried many things that helped ease muscle cramps. By far the most effective has been krill oil. Plus, krill oil has many other benefits.

Comment from: Shari, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

When a leg or a foot cramp starts, a teaspoon of yellow mustard takes it away. I am not sure why, but I read it in a local paper and decided to give it a try. I was actually surprised when it really did work.

Comment from: MaryD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Always having the tendency to cramps in my toes since childhood, it was a surprise when in my 60's I started having extremely painful charley horses in one or both legs. After four weeks of being awakened in the night and home remedies that didn't work I called the doctor. She said to drink tonic water, with juice if I liked and the quinine would take care of the cramps. In three days they were gone for good, until 7 years later when on chemotherapy I started to have toe and calf, cramps that don't seem to respond to the tonic water!

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 22

I eat 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom salt daily to prevent muscle cramps.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have experienced leg cramps, cramps in my toes and now I'm experiencing cramps in both my ankles. A few years ago my doctor told me the cramps were caused from wearing high heel shoes and sitting in my car while driving more than 4+ hours daily. Now that I'm no longer spending the time driving and wear mostly flat heeled shoes, I'm experiencing cramps in my ankles along with the occasional leg/toes cramping. I might mention that my cramps don't always happen while sleeping nor at night. They can be so painful that walking is difficult. I've been using "Leg Cramps with Quinine." Hope this helps. I now might also try the mustard as well.

Comment from: Elena Mraz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Use mustard to massage with. It helps.

Comment from: Anonymous13, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have found that licking a little of regular yellow mustard off a spoon helps cramps go away almost immediately. I am not sure why but it was advised to me by someone and it really does work. :)

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 02

When I have a leg cramp, mostly in the calf, I have a salt cellar of potassium chloride or salt substitute found at the grocery store. I lick the back of my hand, sprinkle a small amount of the potassium salt on my hand, and lick it off. The cramp disappears immediately. It may not work for everyone, but try it.

Comment from: Happy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I began calf cramps 10 years ago. Computer use involved lots of sitting, hours at a stretch. I learned to sit up and press my heel down to end the cramp. Long hours of teaching, long car trips, and frequent air travel set off thigh cramps when rising from sleep. Using a knee brace helps. Sit in a chair with feet up, extended. Also, I place pieces of ordinary soap at the foot of the bed to prevent night cramps. I tie a piece of soap on my calf at bedtime. I find it best to walk up and down. It's agonizing pain, but the cramping stops.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?