Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Prevention

What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?

Comment from: Codge, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 11

The only real cure for muscle cramps is quinine. However over a long period it can cause tiredness. Magnesium works ok but only if you have normal kidney function. If you are taking statins for high cholesterol they may cause cramps. Sometimes they are so bad you bleed into your muscles. The cramps are not related to the dose of statins. Once you get a cramp from statins they are constant and debilitating. This is from personal experience over 20 years. I am a medical scientist.

Comment from: WRay, Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I play a lot of basketball, so believe dehydration a big factor for muscle cramps. But extreme leg cramps at night that are close to torture techniques had me reaching for dill pickle juice, which works in about 10 seconds. For similar results without having to drag yourself to the refrigerator, staggering like a zombie, keep water and a shaker of salt at bedside, as sodium depletion is one of the main culprits. But for lasting results, take magnesium and a banana daily.

Comment from: PrissyPaw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I used Cramp-Z leg cramp relief. It's 100% Natural. Just spray on the cramp and rub in. Cramp is gone! I keep a bottle of it by bed and one at my desk at work. It's amazing how fast it works! No color and No odor! After it dries it does have a very little sticky residue to it. But it's not a nasty sticky. It doesn't cost a lot either. Hope this advice helps. I know what you are going through!

Comment from: Oma, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 23

I drink tonic water every night to help prevent my leg cramps. It works wonders for me. The quinine in it is what does the trick for me.

Comment from: Mejia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I started getting charley horses, and I was found to be deficient in calcium because I hate to drink milk. Usually if I drink 1 glass of milk, 1 cup yogurt or a banana, it will fix the problem for me. When I'm in pain I don't mind the milk so much; rather relieved that it works for muscle cramps!

Comment from: Sudakar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

Apply few drops of honey underneath your tongue. The cramps will be gone in few seconds.

Comment from: MdmAdams, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I must agree with the yellow mustard remedy as it works for my leg muscle cramps, although, I do use (this may sound awful) dill pickle juice as an alternative when I burn out on mustard.

Comment from: hzleeyes, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Each night before retiring I take a sip of pickle juice or eat a slice of pickle and so far (I month) I have not had any severe leg cramps.

Comment from: sker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

Tonic water. Two or three sips and muscle cramps go away within one minute for me. (It has quinine). I keep a bottle by my bed.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements Question: Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?