Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements

Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?

Comment from: furry spider, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I take magnesium tablets, 1 a day. I no longer have any muscle cramps at all. What a miracle after having them for the past five years!

Comment from: Califkid, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 21

When I get a muscle cramp sometimes very painful, I reach in my pocket if I have some GNC cinnamon capsules on me and take one and the pain goes away in about 10 minutes or less. I have not tried other brands, but GNC cinnamon capsules work.

Comment from: Cara J., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 27

Approximately 4 nights out of 7, I get excruciating pain from leg cramps. A nursing aide advised me to take a tablespoon of mustard to make them go away. From that time until now, I use that method and it has never failed to stop the pain within minutes. I don't know why, but it works for me. I use honey-mustard now, and spread a tablespoon of it on a slice of bread, and the pain rapidly goes away.

Comment from: cliffo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I and several friends believe that quinine is the answer to cramps in general. Take a glass of tonic water containing quinine (not quinine flavor, label must say 'contains quinine') once a day. There is no waiting period, it works from day one. It has a nasty taste. But much better than cramps.

Comment from: Donna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I get terrible thigh muscle cramps. I have increased my potassium by eating a banana every day. I take magnesium tablets every night. I drink diet tonic water because it contains natural quinine. When I get a cramp in my thigh I reach for a tablespoon and the yellow mustard. If you can swallow 2 or 3 tablespoons of yellow mustard, then wash it down with diet tonic water, the cramp goes away within a minute or two. I don't know why but it works.

Comment from: lisburn lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have been having muscle cramps for years. Recently it got worse in my back, my thigh, my calf, my feet, toes, etc. I was on quinine tablets from the doctor which eased them, but did not take away the cramps, but better. Then he called them in, because it can cause cancer so I am back where I started. I was recently hospitalized first time ever for back spasm, it was awful. It restricts me from going to lots of places as I am terrified of getting them. My leg gets so bad I can't walk for a couple days. I eat bananas and drink soda, water, etc.

Comment from: Freddy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I suffered with thigh cramps for 11 years. I tried various supplements and got some relief but last year really concentrated on diet. I found 100 percent relief when I cut out bread. I can still eat pastry, scones etc., so possibly some connection with yeast. I don't need supplements now.

Comment from: Dolly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Quinine sulfate taken nightly is the only solution that has been successful for the past 30 years in order to prevent cramps in legs, feet, toes, and hands. It used to be for sale over the counter such as Q-Vel. Then for many years, it was available by prescription only. However, it has been removed from the American market altogether and I don't understand why. Potassium, calcium, water intake, vitamin supplements... all helpful, but do not prevent nor eliminate painful cramping, only quinine tablets.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?