Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements

Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?

Comment from: FanLarm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had cramps inside my thigh. Screaming! I drank 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water and it stopped! I don"t know why, but, after years of suffering with periodic calf, thigh, foot, etc. cramps, I will keep a bottle next to my bed!

Comment from: Mathilda, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have gotten cramps in my calves so bad that I wake up screaming. I spoke to several health professionals and I am one myself. I started drinking more water and taking a magnesium supplement, I have no more cramps.

Comment from: TomCat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I would be sitting in front of the TV with my feet propped up and my toes would just tie into knots. Legs, calves and especially groin muscles would be in terrible pain. After gallons of water potassium and magnesium did not work I went to the doctor. All tests came back ok. They told me calcium works quickly. In a couple of days 80% is gone. I have a full range of movement in my back again. I still have some cramps, but not nearly as bad. I am 63 years young. A little extra vitamin A and K help it to absorb 600 mill calcium twice a day.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

Since I have increased my physical activity, I started having rather severe leg cramps at night, usually the sartorius or adductor muscles of the inner thigh of either leg. I have found that a Cal-Mag citrate powder dissolved in water relieves the symptoms very quickly. I plan to also include a pill supplement with calcium-magnesium-potasium.

Comment from: Alms, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I've suffered from nightly muscle cramps for years in my toes, ankles, calves, and thighs. I've started taking magnesium daily, and now the cramping has subsided. Hooray!! I slept better the very next night after I began taking magnesium.

Comment from: PharmacistJohn, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 23

As an 81 yr old pharmacist I suggest that patients who have leg cramps monitor their intake of Phosphorus as high blood levels appear to be a causative factor. In the 50's prenatal vitamin changed to non-phosphorus. SlimFast has 50% of daily req. in each meal & if you consume over 2 with your other intake YOU may incur a high blood lever. I contacted them as I perceived many physicians would not understand what was occurring and they replied we state use only two a day. I mentioned to other medical persons and they were un-concerned TILL the NEXT TIME

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?