Patient Comments: Muscle Cramps - Vitamins and Supplements

Which vitamins or supplements did you start taking to relieve muscle cramps?

Comment from: Califkid, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 21

When I get a muscle cramp sometimes very painful, I reach in my pocket if I have some GNC cinnamon capsules on me and take one and the pain goes away in about 10 minutes or less. I have not tried other brands, but GNC cinnamon capsules work.

Comment from: Cara J., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 27

Approximately 4 nights out of 7, I get excruciating pain from leg cramps. A nursing aide advised me to take a tablespoon of mustard to make them go away. From that time until now, I use that method and it has never failed to stop the pain within minutes. I don't know why, but it works for me. I use honey-mustard now, and spread a tablespoon of it on a slice of bread, and the pain rapidly goes away.

Comment from: cliffo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I and several friends believe that quinine is the answer to cramps in general. Take a glass of tonic water containing quinine (not quinine flavor, label must say 'contains quinine') once a day. There is no waiting period, it works from day one. It has a nasty taste. But much better than cramps.

Comment from: Donna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I get terrible thigh muscle cramps. I have increased my potassium by eating a banana every day. I take magnesium tablets every night. I drink diet tonic water because it contains natural quinine. When I get a cramp in my thigh I reach for a tablespoon and the yellow mustard. If you can swallow 2 or 3 tablespoons of yellow mustard, then wash it down with diet tonic water, the cramp goes away within a minute or two. I don't know why but it works.

Comment from: Dolly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Quinine sulfate taken nightly is the only solution that has been successful for the past 30 years in order to prevent cramps in legs, feet, toes, and hands. It used to be for sale over the counter such as Q-Vel. Then for many years, it was available by prescription only. However, it has been removed from the American market altogether and I don't understand why. Potassium, calcium, water intake, vitamin supplements... all helpful, but do not prevent nor eliminate painful cramping, only quinine tablets.

Comment from: Freddy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I suffered with thigh cramps for 11 years. I tried various supplements and got some relief but last year really concentrated on diet. I found 100 percent relief when I cut out bread. I can still eat pastry, scones etc., so possibly some connection with yeast. I don't need supplements now.

Comment from: FanLarm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had cramps inside my thigh. Screaming! I drank 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water and it stopped! I don"t know why, but, after years of suffering with periodic calf, thigh, foot, etc. cramps, I will keep a bottle next to my bed!

Comment from: Mathilda, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have gotten cramps in my calves so bad that I wake up screaming. I spoke to several health professionals and I am one myself. I started drinking more water and taking a magnesium supplement, I have no more cramps.

Comment from: TomCat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I would be sitting in front of the TV with my feet propped up and my toes would just tie into knots. Legs, calves and especially groin muscles would be in terrible pain. After gallons of water potassium and magnesium did not work I went to the doctor. All tests came back ok. They told me calcium works quickly. In a couple of days 80% is gone. I have a full range of movement in my back again. I still have some cramps, but not nearly as bad. I am 63 years young. A little extra vitamin A and K help it to absorb 600 mill calcium twice a day.

Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Causes Question: What was the cause of your muscle cramps?
Muscle Cramps - Prevention Question: What measures have you found effective in preventing muscle cramps?