Patient Comments: Mumps - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mumps.

Comment from: Oh no not now, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had the mumps vaccine as a child in the 1970s. When I was 18 I contracted the mumps. I found out many people who had been immunized at that time were contracting the virus. I had swelling and pain on the right side of my neck at the jawline. I had fever and extreme fatigue.

Comment from: Donnatella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Mumps = world of pain. I"m a 34 year old woman who had 3 doses MMR vaccine as a child. About a week back I thought I had a mild toothache, jaw hurting, etc., but dentist said everything was fine. Three days ago I quickly came down with a very sore throat which made it hard to swallow. Then overnight, fever as high as 42 degrees. I have earache, constant headache, huge glands in neck particularly just under ears were causing swelling to my neck and face. Paracetamol and ibuprofen bring my temperature down but do nothing for pain. I can't eat and it hurts to drink. I just want to sleep all the time. Nightmare!

Comment from: Richie Z, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 43 year old male and have just been told I might have the mumps. I have had sore eyes, left side of my face is swollen with my left eye partially closed. I have little swollen glands just in front and below my ear all the way down the left side of my neck, slight ear ache, a slight headache and feeling very lethargic with no energy. I have sore body with muscle ache and really hate how I"m feeling now!

Comment from: kk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I awoke in the middle of the night in terrible pain on one side in my ear and jaw, could not open my jaw and my gland was enlarged and kept getting bigger. I went to the doctor immediately and because I had had mumps as a child he treated me for an infection with antibiotics; a blood test for mumps was just a precaution. Eight days later my ear is still aching, and gland swollen, even though I have used pain killers and anti-inflammatories, icepacks, you name it. The pain is so intense, wouldn't wish adult mumps on anyone, its horrid.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I am a nurse whose 51 year old husband currently has the mumps. We have no idea where he contracted this. His job in retail is our best guess. Profound swelling to the right jaw area, pain, malaise. No high fever noted at the onset. It was first thought to be a TMJ type discomfort by his MD and he was placed on muscle relaxers and medrol dose pak. The minute steriod therapy completed, his jaw swelling worsened and has never changed during the time of steroid use.

Comment from: Shaun from Doonside, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I've just been confirmed I have mumps. I had thought it was food poisoning. My doctor checked my side of my face and told me I have the mumps. The only pain that I have had is headaches, sore eyeballs like small pain in the left eyeball. I was vaccinated for this when I was young but it has me puzzled on how this came about.

Comment from: Keelzz, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My jaw is killing me when I eat and clench my teeth, I was told by my GP I have mumps, but I've had it for 5 days now and still no sign of swelling. The pain isn't any worse?

Comment from: A6, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I am 26 years old. For going abroad I took MMR, Meningitis & Hepatitis Vaccine about 18 days ago. I am having fever for the last 6 days and serious pain in the neck & ear with swelled neck gland for the last 3 days. Today I learned that I have mumps!!! But I had the first dose of MMR.

Mumps - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with mumps?
Mumps - Treatment Question: What treatment did you receive for your mumps?
Mumps - Vaccine Experience Question: If you were born after 1956, have you had the vaccine for mumps (MMR vaccine)? Please share your experience.