Patient Comments: Mumps - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mumps.

Comment from: cashco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

Last year while taking chemotherapy, I had the mumps {confirmed by the health dept}. Now I have the same symptoms, pain in the parotid area, swelling, low grade fever and lethargy. I had the mumps as a child. I have had 4 primary cancers {eye, lung, breast and kidney} with 2 rounds of chemo and radiation. I have had enucleation of the right eye, partial mastectomy, and nephrectomy.

Comment from: kendra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I woke up with a swollen tongue and face 4 days ago. The mean headache and malaise and swelling seems to be increasing. No fever hurts to eat, teeth and jawbone ache and smell and taste are way off. One side groin lymph node has been sore for about a week. We think I came in contact with the virus at an airport or in plane. I flew to Orlando 26 days ago, and returned to Des Moines 19 days ago. I don't think I was vaccinated as a child somehow it wasn't suggested to my mother in 1965, and I guess I just slipped by the opportunity. Or according to my doctor, if I did receive the vaccine its effectiveness could have worn off.

Comment from: abcdef, 55-64 Female Published: January 25

This was the sickest I have ever been. I got the mumps when I was in my teens. It settled in my pancreas. Even crackers caused me to vomit. I have been totally deaf in one ear since having the mumps and now forty years later am battling delayed onset Meniere's disease causing further hearing loss and vertigo.

Comment from: Diego Cbapp, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 02

I had mumps when I was 6 years old. The fever was very high and difficult to cope with. Unfortunately I don't recall exactly the treatment, aside from a cool bath to reduce the fever. However I do know at some point they said, "the mumps got down to the pancreas," so I got pancreatitis which complicated the situation. According to my mother, doctors didn't know what to do until one doctor came up with an answer that fixed me. I have to say it was a small town, undeveloped medicine, untrained doctors, a lot of mysticism.

Mumps - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with mumps?
Mumps - Treatment Question: What treatment did you receive for your mumps?
Mumps - Vaccine Experience Question: If you were born after 1956, have you had the vaccine for mumps (MMR vaccine)? Please share your experience.