Patient Comments: Mumps - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mumps.

Comment from: Richie Z, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 43 year old male and have just been told I might have the mumps. I have had sore eyes, left side of my face is swollen with my left eye partially closed. I have little swollen glands just in front and below my ear all the way down the left side of my neck, slight ear ache, a slight headache and feeling very lethargic with no energy. I have sore body with muscle ache and really hate how I"m feeling now!

Comment from: kk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I awoke in the middle of the night in terrible pain on one side in my ear and jaw, could not open my jaw and my gland was enlarged and kept getting bigger. I went to the doctor immediately and because I had had mumps as a child he treated me for an infection with antibiotics; a blood test for mumps was just a precaution. Eight days later my ear is still aching, and gland swollen, even though I have used pain killers and anti-inflammatories, icepacks, you name it. The pain is so intense, wouldn't wish adult mumps on anyone, its horrid.

Comment from: pro, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am 21 years old and have contracted this viral disease mumps. I have been having it for four days now. I had very high fever for the first two days, then it went away. My right cheek is really swollen. Now my right ear aches like crazy especially at night and in the morning. I was prescribed to have Panadol only.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I am a nurse whose 51 year old husband currently has the mumps. We have no idea where he contracted this. His job in retail is our best guess. Profound swelling to the right jaw area, pain, malaise. No high fever noted at the onset. It was first thought to be a TMJ type discomfort by his MD and he was placed on muscle relaxers and medrol dose pak. The minute steriod therapy completed, his jaw swelling worsened and has never changed during the time of steroid use.

Comment from: khadhijah, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

In my child's school for this term of the session, almost 25% of the children had mumps. They are between the ages of 2 to 4 (nursery pupils). It was alarming and disturbing to the teachers in the school.

Comment from: Shaun from Doonside, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I've just been confirmed I have mumps. I had thought it was food poisoning. My doctor checked my side of my face and told me I have the mumps. The only pain that I have had is headaches, sore eyeballs like small pain in the left eyeball. I was vaccinated for this when I was young but it has me puzzled on how this came about.

Comment from: Keelzz, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My jaw is killing me when I eat and clench my teeth, I was told by my GP I have mumps, but I've had it for 5 days now and still no sign of swelling. The pain isn't any worse?

Comment from: A6, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I am 26 years old. For going abroad I took MMR, Meningitis & Hepatitis Vaccine about 18 days ago. I am having fever for the last 6 days and serious pain in the neck & ear with swelled neck gland for the last 3 days. Today I learned that I have mumps!!! But I had the first dose of MMR.

Comment from: Zara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have this parotid gland swelling under or behind the ears whenever I wear earrings (heavy ones cause it to occur even quicker). I'm not sure if it is due to an allergy or one of the causes of mumps. I had mumps as a child.

Mumps - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with mumps?
Mumps - Treatment Question: What treatment did you receive for your mumps?
Mumps - Vaccine Experience Question: If you were born after 1956, have you had the vaccine for mumps (MMR vaccine)? Please share your experience.