Patient Comments: Mumps - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mumps.

Comment from: Zara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have this parotid gland swelling under or behind the ears whenever I wear earrings (heavy ones cause it to occur even quicker). I'm not sure if it is due to an allergy or one of the causes of mumps. I had mumps as a child.

Comment from: cat129, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My son is 3 years old, and he had his MMR vaccine at 13 months. He is due for his next one soon. We had no idea he had mumps until a couple of days ago when a consultant called to tell us. He was in the hospital for nearly two weeks with convulsions – he must have had about 40. He had encephalopathy, which they put down to a virus, and tested him for everything under the sun. He was so ill, and I have never been so scared. His discharge paperwork said probable epilepsy, and he was started on epileptic drugs. So this phone call was one massive surprise. I assumed that he was immunized and wouldn't get it. I'm glad he had all those tests so we found out the truth.

Comment from: hshasmumps, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Though vaccinated as a child, I am currently sufferring from the mumps at the age of 27. The glands under my chin at the base of my throat are the ones most swollen. Painful, itchy, sesitive to touch, and hardening. High fever, headaches, difficulty swallowing, nausea, fatigue, and I feel like I look like a pelican. I have no idea where I contracted this virus since I'm unemployed and stay home most of the time. Just praying that my 7 and 3 year old children, or my husband get it. I'd rather have the flu again, at least the symptoms of it subsided within a few days. I've already had the mumps 4 days and no sign of subsiding.

Comment from: BT, Published: October 05

I am 46 year old male. 2 weeks back I am vaccinated again with MMR. After 2 weeks the parotitis started swelling, and severe pain when eating. The pain continues for a period of 10-15 minutes. MMR vaccination can provoke parotitis.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

Started with bronchitis, turned to pneumonia, and ended up with the mumps. I was actually vaccinated 3 times, the last being 20 years ago. I was given prednisone for the swelling and used ice packs and Motrin for the pain. The swelling under the back of the tongue and not being able to swallow well was the worst. 12 days later I still have a bit of swelling and am slowly getting my energy back.

Comment from: shafak, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

My 16 month old baby developed mumps; she was vaccinated one month back. I wonder why was she infected even after being vaccinated.

Comment from: kez, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had mumps as a child and ended up in hospital with septic arthritis in my knees. I still remember the pain in my face from having the mumps too.

Comment from: laura, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am a 44 year old female. My temp is 101, sore throat, slight head ache, sever upset stomach, both sides of my face is swollen and painful, feel awful and very tired, glands by my ears are very large.

Comment from: kiliygurl69, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 11

For some reason the shot does not work for me and my family. My sister and my son had the shot, and we all had the mumps. My son currently has it, and he is 5 years old.

Mumps - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with mumps?
Mumps - Treatment Question: What treatment did you receive for your mumps?
Mumps - Vaccine Experience Question: If you were born after 1956, have you had the vaccine for mumps (MMR vaccine)? Please share your experience.